Got my MIELE Columbus SL Single Speed built

Old May 17th 14, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

Default Got my MIELE Columbus SL Single Speed built

On Fri, 16 May 2014 18:25:16 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, May 16, 2014 9:03:41 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2014 08:33:26 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

I finished painting the MIELE Columbus SL frame I'm using as a single speed. Got the decals on and reassemble all the components.

Bike has Dura Ace AX brake calipers for which I have four more sets of brake pads. Brake Levers are Tiagra. Crank is an Exage one with the grey anodizing removed and the crank polished. Pedals are RINO. Freewheel is an ACS Crossfire 20 teeth. Chain is a KMC. Wheels are MICHE hubs paired with MAVIC GP-4 tubular rims. Tires are CONTINENTALS. Seatpost is a Shimano 600AX aero post. PISTA Handlebar and stem are TTT. Images can be seen he

Sideview: https://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/14012506187/

Gallery of 9 images:

Cheers

Sure is an ugly water bottle :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

(invalid to gmail)

That`s an old Shimano Aero water bottle. I have four of the bottles. Three have full alloy cages and one has the alloy and plastic cage that was the Shimano 600 AX bottle/cage. On another bike I have two of the old Campagnolo aero bottles with integral handle ans their matching alloy cages.

Cheers

But the rest of the bike looked mighty fine :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
(invalid to gmail)
Old May 17th 14, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Confession: every time I see a project like this and don't get excited, I feel like the guy who doesn't like dogs and babies. I guess I'm not very sentimental about '80s stuff. I owned all the parts on that bike, minus the brakes and bottle and with some minor differences (no Miche). I still have a GP4 hanging on the wall downstairs. I have probably four or five Cinelli stems sitting around (and a Nitto, but no 3t), and I gave away those exact cranks and similar mid-fi (although Shimano) pedals to the Community Cycling Center as part of my on-going divestiture of unnecessary stuff. The basement is looking pretty thin these days.

My only sentimental attachment is to that saddle and similar Turbo/Rolls-type saddles. Those were great saddles. I'm still riding to work on a '70s Cinelli saddle. I am sentimentally attached to the Italiano bikes and components I loved in the early and mid-70s, although I would be afraid of breaking another NR crank.

My current favorite bike is my new-old rain bike -- the CAAD 9 with SKS Raceblade long fenders and Ultegra 10 and splurge Conti 4Seasons. It is so much fun having a fast rain bike. I rode that on a rainy 200K Gran Fondo last Saturday(my first Gran Fondo, which we used to call "centuries" or "long bike rides," but now everything has a fancy name). The only downside to the modern design is under the BB cable routing and inevitable sticking and ghost shifting on long wet rides. Otherwise, it is more comfortable than my old steel bikes because of modern geometry, different bar profile, lever dimensions, weight, gear range, etc., etc. Shoes and clothing are also better, which makes for more comfortable riding.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 17th 14, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I too have donated a lot of bikes and parts to a bicycle re-cycle co-op in the city next to mine. A lot of the stuff was good quality mid01980's stuff.. There was an attempt to get a bicycle re-cycle facility going here in town but there wasn't enough support for it. When it folded I was given a whole bunch of neat stuff that even though it was old it was in great shape. Then there was the shop in another city not too far away that was selling a bunch of NOS stuff at very low prices because the owner had died. I got the Miche hubs and Mavic GP-4 rims wheel set for only $50.00 and was able to get many extra pairs of Dura Ace AX brake shoes for only $2.50 a pair. That Miele frame was a donation to the re-cycle co-op that folded and that I was a member of as were those TTT bars and stem. All that was need ed to get them looking really good was to wash and polish them up. Some of the parts needed sanding and some elbow grease but even that was therapeutic. The most work was getting the grey anodizing off the Exage crank arms and 5then sanding it with paper and cloth to 12,000 grit to get a highly polished finish on it. I find it enjoyable to refurbish old parts and create something that looks new from the showroom.

Riding such a recreation is icing on the cake for me.

Cheers
Old May 17th 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

I'm no retro guy either and I think modern equipment outperform that ****ty 70-80 stuff, but that is not what matters. What matter is the effort Sir put into it.

Lou
Old May 17th 14, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:34:03 PM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
I'm no retro guy either and I think modern equipment outperform that ****ty 70-80 stuff, but that is not what matters. What matter is the effort Sir put into it.

Lou

Thanks. And the enjoyment I got out of the repainting of the frame and out of the rebuild with the old stuff.

BTW, those RINO pedals are the easiest pedals to get into of all the pedals I've ever had including clipless and Lyotard ones.

Cheers
Old May 18th 14, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 3:34:03 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
I'm no retro guy either and I think modern equipment outperform that ****ty 70-80 stuff, but that is not what matters. What matter is the effort Sir put into it.

Yes, it is nice work.

(My favorite personal computer is an IBM PS/2 9595-0LG
single 486 CPU, 64 MB RAM, 4 GB IML drive and 9 GB data
drive.)
Old May 19th 14, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/17/2014 9:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:
My current favorite bike is my new-old rain bike -- the CAAD 9 with SKS Raceblade long fenders and Ultegra 10 and splurge Conti 4Seasons.

It is so much fun having a fast rain bike. I rode that on a rainy 200K
Gran Fondo last Saturday(my first Gran Fondo, which we used to call

"centuries" or "long bike rides," but now everything has a fancy name).

Yes, but the fancy name only costs $75! Surely worth the price.

Mark Janeba

Old May 19th 14, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, May 19, 2014 9:59:02 AM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
On 5/17/2014 9:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:

My current favorite bike is my new-old rain bike -- the CAAD 9 with SKS Raceblade long fenders and Ultegra 10 and splurge Conti 4Seasons.

It is so much fun having a fast rain bike. I rode that on a rainy 200K

Gran Fondo last Saturday(my first Gran Fondo, which we used to call

"centuries" or "long bike rides," but now everything has a fancy name).

Yes, but the fancy name only costs $75! Surely worth the price.

Mark Janeba

This one was over $90! It was part of some RAAM qualifying event. I didn't pay and just rode it with some friends -- and didn't do the lunch at the end or sneak anything more than water at the rest stops (O.K. maybe a cookie or two). Food was really meager and little more than the crap I had in my jersey pocket -- Cliff bars and various gel packs. Nothing lavish or even festive -- not like the local centuries.

I might have paid (probably not), but I went on a whim, and there was no ride-day entry. I also did not start at the start. I started from my house and TT'd 24 miles and met my friends at their 24/25 mile point in Newberg. One thing I can say about modern technology -- texting is great for coordinating rendezvous.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 21st 14, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I feel like that about automobiles that are now revered by people who never drove them. I owned them and used them as everyday cars, and raced them, and set trans-continental records in some of them, and know they're lethal crap now as they were then.

Andre Jute
Nostalgia is a luxury I'm not old enough to afford