Blackstone Bike Way

Old July 7th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bktourer1

Default Blackstone Bike Way

Can someone please advise as to the status of the Blackstone Bike Way
in Ma & R. I. ? The site never seems to be up to date.
Advise on how much is paved (off road), signage on road and facilities
along the way (food / bike shops / toilets / camping / etc.)
Good parking spots at the northern section for the day.

Any cue sheets appreciated

Thanks

Ed

Old July 12th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Ed:

Are you interested only in the Blackstone Bikeway, or are you just looking
for a ride in that area?

If it's the latter, you might want to skip the Blackstone altogether and
check out the East Bay Bike Path. There's information at
http://www.dot.state.ri.us/bikeri/

You'll also find some info about the East Bay at my website:
www.geocities.com/NYRides

I've also ridden the short - and kind of boringly peaceful - South County
Bike Path from Kingstown to Narragansett. The coolest thing about this one
is that it ends near the Narragansett waterside, which is one of my favorite
places on the east coast.

I've never actually ridden the Blackstone, but I've driven past it and
didn't really "catch a vibe." The East Bay has more to see on both ends and
runs along the water at various points. Feel free to e-mail me for more
details!
"

Old July 13th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Jul 12, 6:21 pm, jk wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 06:13:16 -0700, bktourer1
wrote:

Can someone please advise as to the status of the Blackstone Bike Way
in Ma & R. I. ? The site never seems to be up to date.
Advise on how much is paved (off road), signage on road and facilities
along the way (food / bike shops / toilets / camping / etc.)
Good parking spots at the northern section for the day.

Any cue sheets appreciated

Thanks

Ed

I was on it back near the end of May. At that time they were in the
process of extending it North from Manville to Woonsocket. I rode
past there a week ago and they have added about 3 miles of pavement as
of now and have graded the bed pretty much all the way into
Woonsocket. The Trail previously ended in Manville and was about 6
miles in length.

They had a wash out on the trail during the big storm in April that
ripped out a 15 ft wide gorge around mid length on the trail.
However, you can carry your bike over it. A bigger problem is that
they are building a highway bridge over the trail & river just north
of this wash out and the trail is closed at this point during
construction work. The trail work going under the bridge was nearing
completion when I was there in May. It was a Sunday and no
construction work was going on, so I was able to go through without a
problem. Don't know if you could get through during the week, or if
the work has been completed, however.

There are no services along the trail. But there is a state park with
parking at the south end and there are various services on the road
outside the park. There is also a small parking area at the North
end at Manville and services in the village a short distance away.

They have a restored 18th century homestead along the trail which is
worth a stop. They have a Park Ranger there. The trail runs along
the Blacstone River & the Blackstone Canal. In some places the river
will be on one side and the canal on the other. There are a couple of
manmade waterfalls (used to generate power for the mills). There
were quite a few people in waders standing in the river fishing when I
was there. The trail is surprisingly scenic for most of its length.
---
Joe

I have ridden the East Bay several times and used the South County
when I was touring 2 years ago. I never see where the RI State has
done any work short or the bridge they are rebuilding. Everything
leads me to the loop from the Visitor Center. Ma. doesn't seem to
have created any off road sections.
Any rides in the area that can be provided would be appreciated.

Ed