Saddle sore solutions?

Old August 2nd 18, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Saddle sore solutions?

On 2018-08-01 22:02, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/08/18 01:35, Joerg wrote:

snip

It's about saddle sores. Those tend to develop after tens of
miles, not after 200 yeards.

Yeards! I like that, we need a definition. A sort of cross
between distance and time. Looks like beards, nerds maybe...

The distance or time it takes a saddle to breakin your arse?

It has to do with "yearn". Like yesterday on singletrack where we
were yearning for leaving behind us the last steep incline, only to
find out there is yet another behind it that was lots of yards
long, and with lots of loose rock.

8-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

One of the areas I tour in in Northern Ontario Canada has areas where
the grade is fairly steep with lots of loose rocks and sand. I
remember one time when one of my buddies said he was walking the
loaded bike up the next hill. He did and then said that pushing the
loaded bike up that kind of surface was a heck of a lot harder than
riding it even if he rode a very slow speed.

That can happen but I found it's rare. I mostly walk it up, in part
because otherwise my rear tire kicks out lots of rocks and dirt which
erodes the trail. I also found that my rear tires last a little longer
when I don't muscle up such hills. Less tread wear and less torn-out
knobbies.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Ha, the hills I'm talking about have such a loose surface that if you try to push a loaded bicycle up them YOU are the one that slips and moves downhill instead of the bicycle moving uphill. That's exactly what happened to my buddy.

Cheers
Old August 2nd 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-01 22:02, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/08/18 01:35, Joerg wrote:

[...]

I came up one of those yesterday where my feet started slipping. Then I
just use the MTB as a "crutch". Push it up, apply brakes, move the feet,
push it up some more ... rinse & repeat. There are several hills like
that here. Sometimes it's the powdery dirt, sometimes loose rocks,
sometimes both.

Occasionally it is possible to ride up one of these but it ends in lots
of gravel being flung down the hill and a plume of dust wafting off. Not
a good trail etiquette IMO.

Old August 2nd 18, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-02 11:27, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 7:25:00 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 9:55:34 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone
wrote:
John B. Slocomb wrote:

Snipped
The last time I changed saddles on my "Phuket Road Bike" I
was completely happy with things by the time I got 10 miles
down the road.

I think it can be a little more subtle than you make it out to
be. I bought a new seat which seemed just great for 10-20 km
rides, but after four days of 80-100 km, I realized that this
saddle just didn't quite work.

A few years ago my lower back would get really sore after about 50
- 60 miles of riding. One day I stopped and adjusted the tilt of
the saddle upward just a smidgen and that took care of all the
problems and I was able to do rides of 100 miles and more per day.
It's surprising sometimes what a very small adjustment can do in
terms of riding comfort.

Cheers

Which is a good reason for getting a seatpost that allows a small
tilt adjustment, like the Thompson two bolt or similar designs.
Specialized and Trek are spec'ing proprietary posts with the
never-popular single side bolt, which always go floppy on me before I
can make a minor adjustment, and a 10-12nm torque spec' is pretty
tight for a pocket tool on the fly.

12nm doesn't sound like much.

... You can make an adjustment on the
road then hit a hard bump and lose your tilt adjustment.

That happened to a friend upon landing after a 4ft drop-off. He almost
sang soprano afterwards.

Old August 3rd 18, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-08-02 11:27, jbeattie wrote:

Which is a good reason for getting a seatpost that allows a small
tilt adjustment, like the Thompson two bolt or similar designs.
Specialized and Trek are spec'ing proprietary posts with the
never-popular single side bolt, which always go floppy on me before I
can make a minor adjustment, and a 10-12nm torque spec' is pretty
tight for a pocket tool on the fly.

12nm doesn't sound like much.

I can envision it being tough with a pocket tool.

It's probably a 6mm hex screw, right? I think I'd carry a full size
allen wrench, and if necessary add a bit of heavy wall tube to slide
over the allen wrench to extend the handle.

*********************** ... You can make an adjustment on the
road then hit a hard bump and lose your tilt adjustment.

That happened to a friend upon landing after a 4ft drop-off. He almost
sang soprano afterwards.

Anyone doing four foot drop-offs should expect problems. That's just
dumb. I think it's a result of glorifying crazy guys in YouTube videos,
which usually omit the outtakes.

Our society is schizophrenic. We make heroes of people doing stupidly
risky tricks, yet we wring our hands over kids riding bikes in perfectly
normal ways.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 3rd 18, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 20:59:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2018-08-02 11:27, jbeattie wrote:

Which is a good reason for getting a seatpost that allows a small
tilt adjustment, like the Thompson two bolt or similar designs.
Specialized and Trek are spec'ing proprietary posts with the
never-popular single side bolt, which always go floppy on me before I
can make a minor adjustment, and a 10-12nm torque spec' is pretty
tight for a pocket tool on the fly.

12nm doesn't sound like much.

I can envision it being tough with a pocket tool.

It's probably a 6mm hex screw, right? I think I'd carry a full size
allen wrench, and if necessary add a bit of heavy wall tube to slide
over the allen wrench to extend the handle.

It probably depends on the seat post but I use a regular 6mm Allan
wrench and have never had one slip.

Old August 3rd 18, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 8/2/2018 4:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-08-02 11:27, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

The actual torque range for the one-bolt saddle clamps is actually 11-17nm, with 13.5 on the Specialized. 5mm for some posts and 6mm for others.
-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 3rd 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-02 11:27, jbeattie wrote:

Which is a good reason for getting a seatpost that allows a small
tilt adjustment, like the Thompson two bolt or similar designs.
Specialized and Trek are spec'ing proprietary posts with the
never-popular single side bolt, which always go floppy on me before I
can make a minor adjustment, and a 10-12nm torque spec' is pretty
tight for a pocket tool on the fly.

12nm doesn't sound like much.

I can envision it being tough with a pocket tool.

It's probably a 6mm hex screw, right? I think I'd carry a full size
allen wrench, and if necessary add a bit of heavy wall tube to slide
over the allen wrench to extend the handle.

For a measly 12Nm? Eat more spinach :-)

I think even a Crankbrothers pocket wrench set wouldn't flinch. I have
torqued 8mm Octalink bolts with that.

... You can make an adjustment on the
road then hit a hard bump and lose your tilt adjustment.

That happened to a friend upon landing after a 4ft drop-off. He almost
sang soprano afterwards.

Anyone doing four foot drop-offs should expect problems. That's just
dumb. I think it's a result of glorifying crazy guys in YouTube videos,
which usually omit the outtakes.

Our society is schizophrenic. We make heroes of people doing stupidly
risky tricks, yet we wring our hands over kids riding bikes in perfectly
normal ways.

When I was a kid we rode that way! Mom told us to never go on the
clandestine motorcross parcours in our area. Of course, we did. Lots of
jumps. Especially when the girls were watching.

I can't count how many times we taco'ed a wheel on our little bicycles.
The drill was not to tell mom or dad but to lay the bike onto a tree
stump and hopping onto the rim trying to bend it back. Steel rims could
take that but not forever. I was amazed that the spokes hung on so well.

Old August 3rd 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_21_]

For your reference, records indicate that
Joerg wrote:

I mostly sit solidly in the saddle and I am not exactly a slowpoke.

Do you? How do you measure that? What is the percentage of your
weight you “solidly” put on the saddle?

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old August 3rd 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

I mostly sit solidly in the saddle and I am not exactly a slowpoke.

Do you? How do you measure that? What is the percentage of your
weight you “solidly” put on the saddle?

Whatever of it isn't going into the pedal strokes. I generally remain
seated even during most climbs except the toughest parts of them or when
I want to accelerate hard.

Old August 4th 18, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_21_]

Joerg wrote:

I mostly sit solidly in the saddle and I am not exactly a slowpoke.

Do you? How do you measure that? What is the percentage of your
weight you “solidly” put on the saddle?

Whatever of it isn't going into the pedal strokes.

Yeah, that’s kinda my point. There’s likely more going into the pedals
than you realize. I have a seat that is very comfortable for my
regular rides, but it too can be a bit of a pain if I just *sit* on
when I go for a ride with my slowpoke friends. Especially if the road
isn’t in great condition.

Saddle sore! eunie Unicycling 3 August 4th 08 06:34 PM
saddle sore - advice??? ilikebikes UK 13 March 11th 06 10:34 AM
odd saddle sore, sorta [email protected] General 8 May 17th 05 03:32 PM
saddle sore!!!! juggling_unicyclist_joe Unicycling 6 April 3rd 05 07:07 PM
Saddle sore Sb083459 General 4 April 9th 04 04:45 AM