Driving a cycling point home

Old August 8th 05, 02:25 AM
flyingdutch

Default Driving a cycling point home

alison_b Wrote:
emails? They don't cost extra for most of us, and while not as good a
the one-on-one communication, they can usefully reinforce message
heard elsewhere. Lots of the tri-clubs train down there, so it woul
be useful to include these in any communication. Bike shops (not jus
those along Beach Rd), clubs, etc... If a flyer was included as a
attachment they might be encouraged to place it in thei
shops/newsletters/etc. This way even if people can't/don't attend the
may have heard about it and be able to comment one way or the other i
the media gives it a hearing.

While Beach Rd is well-known for cycling, many (most?) cyclists don'
actually ride there much in my experience. I'm not sure it wil
capture those folk who ride daily in the same way as a "drive to work
day would. Also, what would the impact be on the cyclists who ar
still going to ride Beach Road on that day? I'm not being negative
just putting it out there as something to be thought about.

cheers,
ali

fair 'nuff. yeah, tri clubs too
(but will they be able to drive in a straight line tho )

'theoretically' cyclists in cars are far safer for cyclists on bikes t
be on the road with. could be part of the exercise to show how they ca
cohabitate nicely. Beach Rd is 'the icon' of cycling in Melb/even-O
and has what the media have plonked the stereotype on so probably bes
to illustrate the message/alternative on 'the icon'. with 10,000 ther
in a given period on a weekend i doubt there would be half this numbe
elsewhere at the same tim

--
flyingdutch

Old August 8th 05, 02:51 AM
EuanB

flyingdutch Wrote:
Beach Rd is 'the icon' of cycling in Melb/even-Oz and has what the medi
have plonked the stereotype on so probably best to illustrate th
message/alternative on 'the icon'. with 10,000 there in a given perio
on a weekend i doubt there would be half this number elsewhere at th
same time

I agree. It's rare I cycle on Beach Road but I'd certainly do this t
make the point

It's rare I cycle in to the city on a weekend but I made the effort fo
the WoJ ride a few weeks back. If we want to make a noise we're goin
to have to work together
--
Cheer
Eua

--
EuanB

Old August 8th 05, 02:57 AM
alison_b

flyingdutch Wrote:
fair 'nuff. yeah, tri clubs too
(but will they be able to drive in a straight line tho

'theoretically' cyclists in cars are far safer for cyclists on bikes t
be on the road with. could be part of the exercise to show how they ca
cohabitate nicely. Beach Rd is 'the icon' of cycling in Melb/even-O
and has what the media have plonked the stereotype on so probably bes
to illustrate the message/alternative on 'the icon'. with 10,000 ther
in a given period on a weekend i doubt there would be half this numbe
elsewhere at the same time

All good points, and I agree with them... if even half of thes
cyclists (and additionally those coming from further afield) were t
take part it would be bigger than Ben Hur! Will that many cars bein
able to stick to one lane and keep moving while not obstructin
cyclists completely? ( I have no idea how long it would take say 100
motorists driving together to go the distance...) I am sure you ar
right about the safety increase for cyclists around cyclists in cars
but there may well be other drivers who may well be p!ssed of
(including those tryinh to enter Beach Road... ), and cyclists (th
cycling ones) also being slowed down (and no doubt p!ssy about this a
well). Perhaps it would be enough for them to have prior knowledge o
the event? I don't know what the mood of cyclists is on Beach Rd...

al

--
alison_b

Old August 8th 05, 02:58 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:25:37 +1000, flyingdutch
wrote:

fair 'nuff. yeah, tri clubs too
(but will they be able to drive in a straight line tho )

They'll be the ones chugging along in 5th gear at 15km/h

Old August 8th 05, 03:06 AM
flyingdutch

alison_b Wrote:
All good points, and I agree with them... if even half of these
cyclists (and additionally those coming from further afield) were to
take part it would be bigger than Ben Hur! Will that many cars being
able to stick to one lane and keep moving while not obstructing
cyclists completely? ( I have no idea how long it would take say 1000
motorists driving together to go the distance...) I am sure you are
right about the safety increase for cyclists around cyclists in cars,
but there may well be other drivers who may well be p!ssed off
(including those tryinh to enter Beach Road... ), and cyclists (the
cycling ones) also being slowed down (and no doubt p!ssy about this as
well). Perhaps it would be enough for them to have prior knowledge of
the event? I don't know what the mood of cyclists is on Beach Rd...

ali

I'm thinking (please feel free to set me straight if Im off base here,
531, rooman, hitchy, others?) that if all these cars are staying single
file, in the right hand lane (assuming no bikes or parked cars in left)
'other' drivers can hardly get ****ed off at, well, 'other' drivers can
they???

I think that is the simple beauty of the whole thing!
All of a sudden these drivers are shown that the volume on Beach rd and
respect for cyclists (now in cars) isnt THAT hard to do if presented to
them in such a form. Besides, we can harldy be holding up traffic if WE
ARE TRAFFIC, can we!?!?!?! (DONT make the obvious link/comment. it would
be nice, peoples to keep this thread ON-thread )

So, next step?

What are we saying/spraying on the promo material message?

thawts fer you all???

signs stuck up in car windows saying something like "Respect for
cyclists"

or my above thawt...

"4 wheels doesnt make me twice a cyclist.
2 wheels doesnt give me half my rights"

--
flyingdutch

Old August 8th 05, 03:13 AM
EuanB

flyingdutch Wrote:
What are we saying/spraying on the promo material message

thawts fer you all??

"If this car was a bike you'd be past me by now

I'm not very good at short and sweet ;-
--
Cheer
Eua

--
EuanB

Old August 8th 05, 03:34 AM
Theo Bekkers

flyingdutch wrote:

All of a sudden these drivers are shown that the volume on Beach rd
and respect for cyclists (now in cars) isnt THAT hard to do if
presented to them in such a form.

You think they'll be able to work that out?

Theo

Old August 8th 05, 04:10 AM
BruceA

"EuanB" wrote

What are we saying/spraying on the promo material message?

thawts fer you all???

"If this car was a bike you'd be past me by now"

I like that! This is the kind of sticker I would gladly have on my car
full - time! Indicates to motorists that other motorists are more of an
inconvenience than cyclists are.

BruceA

Old August 8th 05, 09:56 AM
dave

flyingdutch wrote:
alison_b Wrote:

emails? They don't cost extra for most of us, and while not as good as
the one-on-one communication, they can usefully reinforce messages
heard elsewhere. Lots of the tri-clubs train down there, so it would
be useful to include these in any communication. Bike shops (not just
those along Beach Rd), clubs, etc... If a flyer was included as an
attachment they might be encouraged to place it in their
shops/newsletters/etc. This way even if people can't/don't attend they
may have heard about it and be able to comment one way or the other if
the media gives it a hearing.

While Beach Rd is well-known for cycling, many (most?) cyclists don't
actually ride there much in my experience. I'm not sure it will
capture those folk who ride daily in the same way as a "drive to work"
day would. Also, what would the impact be on the cyclists who are
still going to ride Beach Road on that day? I'm not being negative,
just putting it out there as something to be thought about.

cheers,
ali

fair 'nuff. yeah, tri clubs too
(but will they be able to drive in a straight line tho )

Scarey thought. Better than soccer muns. I have the feeling that
soccer mums in hawthorn are mostly hockey mums btw.
Old August 8th 05, 09:58 AM
dave

EuanB wrote:
flyingdutch Wrote:

Beach Rd is 'the icon' of cycling in Melb/even-Oz and has what the media
have plonked the stereotype on so probably best to illustrate the
message/alternative on 'the icon'. with 10,000 there in a given period
on a weekend i doubt there would be half this number elsewhere at the
same time

I agree. It's rare I cycle on Beach Road but I'd certainly do this to
make the point.

It's rare I cycle in to the city on a weekend but I made the effort for
the WoJ ride a few weeks back. If we want to make a noise we're going
to have to work together.

Absolutely.