Honk if you support cyclists

Old October 28th 06, 06:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jimmay

Default Honk if you support cyclists

Riding home yesterday on Arden St (North Melbourne) a friendly P-plater
driving a white Laser gave me a nice honking because he could wait the
30m of bridge to overtake. I thought I was going to be part of a road
rage incident (although I would avoid conflict personally) but then he
thought better of it. I wasn't too worried really - if someone honks
then they have seen me.

But it got me thinking ...if cycling commuters and other road users wore
a jersey with a slogan on it like "Honk if you support cyclists", we
could turn all that negative rage into a positive feeling. Has anyone
done this? Already around my circle of friends and family there would
be a few takers.

jimmay
Old October 28th 06, 06:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PHATRS

jimmay wrote:
Riding home yesterday on Arden St (North Melbourne) a friendly P-plater
driving a white Laser gave me a nice honking because he could wait the
30m of bridge to overtake. I thought I was going to be part of a road
rage incident (although I would avoid conflict personally) but then he
thought better of it. I wasn't too worried really - if someone honks
then they have seen me.

But it got me thinking ...if cycling commuters and other road users wore
a jersey with a slogan on it like "Honk if you support cyclists", we
could turn all that negative rage into a positive feeling. Has anyone
done this? Already around my circle of friends and family there would
be a few takers.

jimmay

How about "cyclists and drivers are all humans", or maybe just "drivers
are human too."

--
Ben
Car related lyric of the week: "Can't you see me, overtakin? All the
Old October 28th 06, 06:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

jimmay wrote:
Riding home yesterday on Arden St (North Melbourne) a friendly P-plater
driving a white Laser gave me a nice honking because he could wait the
30m of bridge to overtake. I thought I was going to be part of a road
rage incident (although I would avoid conflict personally) but then he
thought better of it. I wasn't too worried really - if someone honks
then they have seen me.

But it got me thinking ...if cycling commuters and other road users wore
a jersey with a slogan on it like "Honk if you support cyclists", we
could turn all that negative rage into a positive feeling. Has anyone
done this? Already around my circle of friends and family there would
be a few takers.

jimmay

Yeah Jimmay, some genius thought it would be a great idea for the Amy
Gillett Foundation, until told in no uncertain terms about the mixed
messages that would arise from the abuse many cyclists will sling at
someone who toots. I for one do not appreciate the jolt it gives me,
whether it is well-meaning or not. How would I know it was
well-meaning, until I'd recovered from my wobble, swivelled my neck 180
degrees, seen through the reflections on their windscreen that they
were smiling not snarling? Don't even think about it! If your pals
really want to be nice to me, all I ask is they respect the road rules,
particularly the ones concerning cyclists. Better still, if they
actually knew the rules, which many drivers do not. I'll wave and smile
back to them when they pass me with a good metre to spare, having
waited until it was safe.

Donga

Old October 28th 06, 07:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

PHATRS Wrote:

How about "cyclists and drivers are all humans", or maybe just
"drivers
are human too."

How about "We are all human" or "I breath & I vote"

--
cfsmtb

Old October 28th 06, 07:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:20:56 +1000
cfsmtb wrote:

How about "We are all human" or "I breath & I vote"

Pity that "are you sure I'm not a plainclothes traffic cop" won't fit
on a jersey.

Zebee
Old October 28th 06, 07:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"jimmay" wrote in message
But it got me thinking ...if cycling commuters and other road users wore a
jersey with a slogan on it like "Honk if you support cyclists", we could
turn all that negative rage into a positive feeling.

I think "Honk if you're a ******" would be better.
Or something along the lines of my favourite bumper sticker "Horn broken.
Watch for finger".

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old October 29th 06, 05:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
leestevens

jimmay Wrote:
Riding home yesterday on Arden St (North Melbourne) a friendly P-plater
driving a white Laser gave me a nice honking because he could wait the
30m of bridge to overtake. I thought I was going to be part of a road
rage incident (although I would avoid conflict personally) but then he
thought better of it. I wasn't too worried really - if someone honks
then they have seen me.

But it got me thinking ...if cycling commuters and other road users
wore
a jersey with a slogan on it like "Honk if you support cyclists", we
could turn all that negative rage into a positive feeling. Has anyone
done this? Already around my circle of friends and family there would
be a few takers.

jimmayA lady in our club has a bright yellow jersey with " I'm a mum, please

don't kill me" writte n across the back. She is still alive so it must
work . I thought that was a pretty good message to avoid being run
into.

--
leestevens

Old October 29th 06, 07:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Vincent Patrick

leestevens wrote:

jimmay Wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... I wonder what it says about our society's mores if "I'm a dad" is
less effective.

Cheers,

Vince

'Not entirely expendable'

Old October 29th 06, 07:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

leestevens wrote:
jimmay Wrote:
[...]

We're talking about bogans here. I had an interesting interlude to my
ride today. Tootling along through genteel Graceville, I see a young
couple walking; the woman is stumbling and crying. Then she falls and
he, with shaven head and pigtail, drags her up, hauls her across the
road, throws her against a car, chokeholds her, punches her in the
stomach. She falls to her knees and crys out about him hurting her baby
(she's early pregnant). He says he doesn't give a **** and runs off. I
call the cops, some people come out of a house and look after the girl,
and I ride off after said bogan. He goes through some houses so I ride
around the block and spot him, then spend the next 10 minutes shadowing
him as he moves through properties from block to block. All the time
I'm on the phone to the cops, who shortly turn up and grab the guy
after he runs into a yard. As he's being pushed into the car, he sobs
that his life's too hard and stressful and he blacked out. I ride back
to the origin, and the ambo turns up for the girl.

The point of the story? I'd like to think the pricks who harass us
while we ride could give a sh*t about us being members of the human
race, but I don't really think they do. They have all sorts of excuses
in their stupid minds, to justify their behaviour.

The nice bit? The police thanked me and said I'd been a big help. Not
as big as them, I said.

Donga

Old October 29th 06, 10:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jim

How about "Honk if you love my lycra clad arse"? That is a jersey i'd buy

"jimmay" wrote in message
Riding home yesterday on Arden St (North Melbourne) a friendly P-plater
driving a white Laser gave me a nice honking because he could wait the 30m
of bridge to overtake. I thought I was going to be part of a road rage
incident (although I would avoid conflict personally) but then he thought
better of it. I wasn't too worried really - if someone honks then they
have seen me.

But it got me thinking ...if cycling commuters and other road users wore a
jersey with a slogan on it like "Honk if you support cyclists", we could
turn all that negative rage into a positive feeling. Has anyone done
this? Already around my circle of friends and family there would be a few
takers.

jimmay

CALL FOR INSTRUCTORS TO SUPPORT CYCLISTS DEFENCE FUND John B UK 0 August 9th 06 04:28 PM
Gobsmacked wafflycat UK 63 January 4th 06 06:50 PM
water bottles,helmets Mark General 191 July 17th 05 04:05 PM
[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 12:36 AM
Mail on Sunday andy w UK 92 October 27th 03 12:42 PM