Scofflaw Cyclists in Boston

Old October 17th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Scofflaw Cyclists in Boston

See http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old October 17th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

On Oct 17, 1:10*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
See http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

No -- no more than car surfing is the result of non-enforcement of the
traffic laws. All that stuff is the result of idiocy and hubris,
which is a very dangerous mix.-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 17th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Dan O

On Oct 17, 1:10 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
See http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

A lot of that action I wouldn't defend entirely, but I didn't see much
if any endangerment or even impeding anyone else's right-of-way.
Maybe some startled cagers here and there. They could probably use
it, though - keeps 'em awake :-)
Old October 17th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 10/17/2010 4:10 PM, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
See http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

Yeah, it's Boston, mostly the financial district that I've spoken of.
The rider was a bike messenger. Not an example of a typical Boston
cyclist, nor probably a typical messenger, nor even probably a typical
day for him. Sorry.
Old October 18th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/17/2010 04:10 PM, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
See http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

looks pretty much like typical road cyclist behavior to me. other than
the cyclist actually stopping when he charged an intersection on red and
realized that there was cross traffic (I guess Bostonians are less
accomodating than drivers around here.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 18th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 10/17/2010 5:52 PM, Peter Cole wrote:
On 10/17/2010 4:10 PM, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
See http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

Yeah, it's Boston, mostly the financial district that I've spoken of.

As in:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Boston,+MA&sl l=41.921617,-91.634623&sspn=0.007759,0.021136&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear =Boston,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts&ll=42.356831,-71.055236&spn=0.007706,0.021136&t=h&z=16.
[1]

The rider was a bike messenger.

And/or a film maker: http://www.digave.com/video.html - yes the
(in)famous Lucas Brunelle.

Not an example of a typical Boston
cyclist, nor probably a typical messenger, nor even probably a typical
day for him. Sorry.

But the behavior some would legalize?

[1] Will Jobst Brandt suggest http://tinyurl.com/ [2]?
[2] http://preview.tinyurl.com/24z75nu or
http://tinyurl.com/24z75nu for the brave.

Old October 18th 10, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
bjw

On Oct 17, 1:10*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
See http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

I watched the first 2.5 minutes, then I got bored of waiting
for something to provoke self-righteous indignation.

He even used a hand signal in the first few seconds of the
video, before he turns left around the cop car.

Seriously, have you witnessed Boston road manners?
What I saw in the video was pattycake compared to Boston
driving. Once in downtown Boston I saw a driver back
his car up a full block the wrong way up a one way street,
at regular driving speed. I guess since the car was facing
the correct direction he figured it was okay.

Ben
Old October 18th 10, 09:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 10/18/2010 1:58 AM, bjw aka Ben Weiner wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:10 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Seehttp://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

I watched the first 2.5 minutes, then I got bored of waiting
for something to provoke self-righteous indignation.

He even used a hand signal in the first few seconds of the
video, before he turns left around the cop car.

Seriously, have you witnessed Boston road manners?

Just because a lot of people act a certain way does not make it moral.

What I saw in the video was pattycake compared to Boston
driving. Once in downtown Boston I saw a driver back
his car up a full block the wrong way up a one way street,
at regular driving speed. I guess since the car was facing
the correct direction he figured it was okay.

Can we give Boston [1] back to the British?

[1] http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=riot+boston+red+sox&aq=f.

Old October 18th 10, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 10/17/2010 7:28 PM, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
[...]

Nobody I know of.

[1] Will Jobst Brandt suggest http://tinyurl.com/ [2]?
[2] http://preview.tinyurl.com/24z75nu or
http://tinyurl.com/24z75nu for the brave.

????
Old October 18th 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:
Seehttp://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/100870/505039 for scofflaw
cyclists breaking about every traffic law possible - the end result of
no enforcement of the rules of the road on cyclists?

Ignore the title that says "NYC" - unless buses in NYC advertise Boston
radio stations.

I watched the first 2.5 minutes, then I got bored of waiting
for something to provoke self-righteous indignation.

He even used a hand signal in the first few seconds of the
video, before he turns left around the cop car.

Seriously, have you witnessed Boston road manners?

Just because a lot of people act a certain way does not make it moral.

"Morality" is a complex subject. By the following theory, you'd be
classified as a conservative, me, a liberal. Maybe that explains why you
like Iowa and I like Massachusetts.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/t11828205jt42001/

"Researchers in moral psychology and social justice have agreed that
morality is about matters of harm, rights, and justice. On this
definition of morality, conservative opposition to social justice
programs appears to be immoral, and has been explained as a product of
various non-moral processes such as system justification or social
dominance orientation. In this article we argue that, from an
anthropological perspective, the moral domain is usually much broader,
encompassing many more aspects of social life and valuing institutions
as much or more than individuals. We present theoretical and empirical
reasons for believing that there are five psychological systems that
provide the foundations for the world’s many moralities. The five
foundations are psychological preparations for detecting and reacting
emotionally to issues related to harm/care, fairness/reciprocity,
ingroup/loyalty, authority/respect, and purity/sanctity. Political
liberals have moral intuitions primarily based upon the first two
foundations, and therefore misunderstand the moral motivations of
political conservatives, who generally rely upon all five foundations."

What I saw in the video was pattycake compared to Boston
driving. Once in downtown Boston I saw a driver back
his car up a full block the wrong way up a one way street,
at regular driving speed. I guess since the car was facing
the correct direction he figured it was okay.

Can we give Boston [1] back to the British?

[1] http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=riot+boston+red+sox&aq=f.

Obviously you haven't followed British football.