Harry Potter, the Psychic Boss and the Laneways of Doom

Old February 15th 05, 11:26 PM
Plodder

Default Harry Potter, the Psychic Boss and the Laneways of Doom

"Dave" wrote in message
Richard Sherratt wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 05:18:31 GMT, TimC
wrote:

SCene
its the early 80.s and we are in Mikes old Rally car in the right hand
lane heading down Bandenong rd just comming up to Warrigal rd.

In the right turn lane with its right indicator on is a Volvo SP 1800
sportscar.

Miks says Ÿou know I would never own a volvo but if I did it would be
one of them

Just then the volvo turns left from the right turn lane across our noze
and the other 5 lanes or however many their are
Mike hits the brakes hard. The rally car instanly spins and stops
backward just missing volvo.
We watch anothe dozen cars lock up everything and stop then both turn
and look out the driverside window at the volvo vanishing down warrigal
rd to the left.. still with his right indicator flashing. Unhurried.
without a concern in the world.

Mike says šthen again.. maybe I wouldnt own a volvoš

WOW! A volvo using indicators!

One of the great mysteries of life: Why do they fit rear-view mirrors and
indicators on volvos...?

Frank

Old February 16th 05, 12:06 AM
hippy

Plodder wrote:
WOW! A volvo using indicators!
One of the great mysteries of life: Why do they fit rear-view mirrors and
indicators on volvos...?

Something for cyclists to smash in/off post-nde[1]?

hippy
[1] NDE - Near Death Experience, i.e. Volvo driver killing spree
Old February 16th 05, 10:31 AM
HUMBUG

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:26:41 +0800, Plodder Wrote :
snip

WOW! A volvo using indicators!

Yeah well even Volvo drivers make mistakes...:-)

One of the great mysteries of life: Why do they fit rear-view mirrors and
indicators on volvos...?

Ahhhh someone who doesn't understand Volvo drivers. My father was the PERFECT
Volvo driver - he drove a '70's yellow ochre Volvo 244, he was old, he
wore a toweling hat and most of all he drove with a certain obliviousness.
Have you heard a driver ask the passengers "what colour's that traffic
light?" or "what did that sign say?" (it was a BIG green one on a freeway.)
I've heard these questions, and more, posed by my father whilst driving in
BROAD DAYLIGHT. The mind boggles at the possible questions he would've had
at NIGHT - and yes he DID drive at night but I'm a wimp who wouldn't get
in the car with him driving if it was dark...:-)

(His eyesight was totally shot - partially formed cataracts and years of
un-diagnosed and therefore untreated type 2 diabetes saw to that.)

--

Humbug
Old February 16th 05, 12:54 PM
Dave

kim wrote:
Dave wrote:

Mike says šthen again.. maybe I wouldnt own a volvoš

i never cease to be amazed by the number of people that vent about volvo
drivers.

on monday i was nearly cleaned up by no less than 5 falcon drivers! in
less than 10Km.

rantwhy does no one spit the dummy at their horrible driving?

commodores and carollas are next on my most wanted list of offenses
against cyclists.

and the age/gender groups are young males&females and older 60+
male&females, in no particular order.

followed by muppets with no spacial awareness who mostly drive pajeros
and prados.

/rant

kim

Its becouse I have no stories like that about falcan drivers. And
becouse there is a difference between being cleaned up by someone being
an idiot or making a mistake and being cleaned up by someone who is
totally oblivious to the possible presence of anyone else.

However I think most of the volvo owners have moved into 4wds these days.

Dave

Old February 16th 05, 01:43 PM
Oscar

kim wrote:
Dave wrote:

Mike says šthen again.. maybe I wouldnt own a volvoš

i never cease to be amazed by the number of people that vent about volvo
drivers.

on monday i was nearly cleaned up by no less than 5 falcon drivers! in
less than 10Km.

rantwhy does no one spit the dummy at their horrible driving?

commodores and carollas are next on my most wanted list of offenses
against cyclists.

and the age/gender groups are young males&females and older 60+
male&females, in no particular order.

followed by muppets with no spacial awareness who mostly drive pajeros
and prados.

/rant

kim

Do you drive a Volvo kim?
Old February 16th 05, 08:22 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:59:22 GMT, "Liz" wrote:

"Richard Sherratt" wrote in
message ...

As a friend said one day:

"Indicators:

There are controls in each vehicle that cause little bits of coloured
plastic to flash on and off at the corners of your vehicle.

Pretty, aren't they?"

I love it! Is it copyright? :-)

I doubt it. I've pinched it :-)

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old February 16th 05, 10:04 PM
kim

Oscar wrote:
Do you drive a Volvo kim?

no. no i don't.

there are plenty of folks who drive really badly in locally made cars.
its just so much easier to target a minority of drivers who drive some foreign tank tho.

kim
Old February 16th 05, 10:16 PM
kim

Dave wrote:
Its becouse I have no stories like that about falcan drivers. And
becouse there is a difference between being cleaned up by someone being
an idiot or making a mistake and being cleaned up by someone who is
totally oblivious to the possible presence of anyone else.

it is quite interesting how this varies across different 'burbs in just adelaide.
i expect across australia it would vary even more =)

However I think most of the volvo owners have moved into 4wds these days.

quite possibly. although i expect that the move to the medium sized 4wd is about keeping ones wife and kids safe on the road.
i suppose its entirely irrelavent that the safety of the medium sized 4wd is less than the average volvo, but image is
everything. obey your thirst! um ...

also most mums with a horde of kids in the back have the same issues with distractions of feeding, resolving fights, etc.
i have moved my morning route to avoid the 'school zones'.

kim
Old February 17th 05, 02:10 PM
Dave

kim wrote:
Dave wrote:

[...]

When you talk to these mums.. the main reason they have a 4wd is so
darling child will be safe.. from other mums in 4wds

Dave