Off Topic

Old August 12th 19, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Off Topic

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 23:24:38 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

snip Cheers

During the 1800's Great Britain, perhaps the most powerful nation in
the world, fought a number of "wars" on the N.W. Frontier and in the
First Anglo-Afghan War G.B. invaded Afganstan, in 1839, with an army
of 21,000 men and some 38,000 Indian camp followers and 30,000 camels
to carry supplies. When the British withdrew, in 1842, the only
soldier to reach Jalalabad, British India, was Dr. William Brydon .

Who was it that said something about those who refuse to learn from
history are doomed to repeat it?
--
cheers,

John B.

Thanks for this nugget, John. I went and read the Wikipedia entry
on the event after reading your post.
I appreciate your oontributions.

pH in Aptos, CA

If one actually reads books any more :-) there are a series of books
about the "hero" Harry Flashman that are (I think) good reading and do
a great deal to teach the non-English reader a great deal about the
nuances of some of the Empire's more notable feats (or defeats :-)
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Flashman
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 12th 19, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/11/2019 6:52 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 10:34:10 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 7:53:40 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:48:17 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

Is that anything like your penetrating fear of nuclear war? Or maybe
your shivering fear that no one in today's world could grow food so
that you could retain your blimp-like physiology?

Err, projecting?
We grow a bit of our own food, so nil work should any disaster
transpire.
How about you?

I am smart enough to know the world around me and that there will be no
"disasters" that will prevent a marketplace.

How young are you agan?

It's not age-related. There's no disaster, edict or policy
which can stop a market.

Hell, there's a healthy market for contraband telephones in
North Korea. See also Heroin worldwide.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 12th 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 09:23:43 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/11/2019 6:52 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 10:34:10 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 7:53:40 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:48:17 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

Is that anything like your penetrating fear of nuclear war? Or maybe
your shivering fear that no one in today's world could grow food so
that you could retain your blimp-like physiology?

Err, projecting?
We grow a bit of our own food, so nil work should any disaster
transpire.
How about you?

I am smart enough to know the world around me and that there will be
no "disasters" that will prevent a marketplace.

How young are you agan?

It's not age-related. There's no disaster, edict or policy which can
stop a market.

Which is not what I said. You can not "buy" what doesn't exist.
Old August 12th 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/12/2019 9:41 AM, news18 wrote:
[...]

Doesn't actually exist or (price reflects volume) you won't
pay the rate?

In the book, "A Woman in Berlin' the author notes that over
the winter of 1945~1946 the going rate for a loaf of bread
was one gold band.

Old August 12th 19, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 2:22:07 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 12:34:09 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 12:15:39 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 10:31:26 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 1:40:49 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 12:44:40 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 5:46:39 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:15:25 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 3:08:35 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 11:54:34 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 10:06:09 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 9:06:33 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 10:42:55 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 8:32:13 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/8/2019 2:04 AM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 22:52:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 8/7/2019 9:56 PM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 11:13:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 8/7/2019 12:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 5:35:23 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

And it's too bad that so few of those mothers didn't choose
adoption.
But consider the vast amount of energy poured into making abortion
available. What if that same energy were poured into promoting
adoption?
I suspect significantly more women would allow adoption.

But why should a woman be compelled to be a brood mare? Requiring a
woman to carry a child to term against her will is a form of slavery,
and it is not without risk.

In the time of slavery in the U.S., women slaves actually were
compelled to be brood mares. A large part of the economic profit in
owning slaves was breeding more of them for sale, not unlike puppy
mills today.

Err just about all farming involving lifestock.

But modern women are not compelled to be brood mares. Most abortions
happen because the women and their partners chose to have sex without
use of contraceptives. That is a serious abandonment of personal
responsibility, and it's not imposed by some slave owner.

Belief or supported by research?

From a pro-abortion site:

It is also possible that some abortion patients became pregnant shortly
after they stopped using LARCs or other contraceptive methods.

Subjective opinion hidden in a pile of statistcs.

I'll repeat: That was from a PRO-abortion site. Their "subjective
opinion" seems to be it doesn't matter that most abortions are triggered
by refusal to use contraception. They don't seem to care about that at all.
As I've said in the past; contraception is not 100% reliable and that
fact doesn't change no matter what anacronym they use to describe it.

Nothing is 100% reliable. But there are common contraceptive measures
that are much more than 95% reliable. It's irresponsible to refuse any
contraceptive, then abort the baby that results..

I believe your site states that in 2014, slightly over half of the abortions provided were to patients who reported using contraception the month they became pregnant. https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...th-they-became So, 49% were irresponsible harlots who should be denied an abortion and publicly stoned? Can the other 51% get an abortion -- or are they disqualified for some other reason, like for wanting an abortion?

-- Jay Beattie.

This is NOT a case of the ethics or morals of the woman and her partner. It is the HUMAN RIGHTS of the baby. Oregon ONLY allows capital punishment for aggravated murder but you don't seem to have the same respect for a baby.

Let me guess, to you an embryo is a human from the point of conception. This is part of your faith. Right? There is something in the Bible that tells you this.

You are willing to deprive a woman of her HUMAN RIGHTS and make her bear a child based on your faith -- not hers. Hmmmm. Let's make you bear a child against your will and see what you think.

Why shouldn't the woman be allowed to go to her doctor, get a script for RU486 and terminate the pregnancy and the embryo, which at 2 weeks is the size of a pinhead. At a few days, its a collection of cells. Why the bizarre need to make this woman bear a child?

-- Jay Beattie.

Let me guess - you think that a baby in a stroller who needs breast feeding and is fully dependent upon its mother is also liable for "abortion" with the simple application of a club.

That's the best you can do? Aborting a collection of cells is the same as clubbing to death a baby in a stroller? Are you crazy?

-- Jay Beattie.

Within the first week a heart begins beating. At that point it is no longer a collection of cell. That heart isn't keeping the mother alive and stopping its beating kills the baby.

I find you arguing medical facts in the face of every known authority to be rather lawyerish.

Wrong. https://americanpregnancy.org/while-...rst-trimester/ https://www.thejournal.ie/pregnancy-...79399-May2018/

We're talking about human gestation and not a rat.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay - you don't understand what you're reading. You do not have a baby forming until what they are referring to as the "third week". Until the fertilized egg embeds into the uterine wall this is NOT a baby. 80% of fertilized eggs pass through the uterus and never embed. So that single week from embedding until the heart begins beating is the time in which the egg becomes a human being with ALL of the rights of a human being.

No again: https://www.thejournal.ie/pregnancy-...79399-May2018/ I'll cut and paste because you clearly are not reading the links:

"One No campaign poster says that the embryo’s heart starts beating at 22 days of gestation (or 5/6 weeks of pregnancy), which is roughly correct.

One US study published in the Journal of Prenatal Medicine examined the cardiac function of a foetus during the first trimester (12 weeks). It states:

Cardiovascular development in a human embryo occurs between 3 and 6 weeks after ovulation.

At the end of the fourth week of gestation, the heartbeats of the embryo begin.

The fourth/fifth week of gestation would be around the sixth/seventh week of pregnancy."

Whether were talking weeks of gestation or weeks of pregnancy, the heart does not begin to beat in week one.

-- Jay Beattie.

And you didn't read what I wrote and then quoted another source repeating me. It is certainly easy to see that you're a lawyer.

You mean I'm lawyerly because I don't launch into psychotic rants, spewing patently wrong facts -- facts so wrong that a five year old with internet access could refute them? https://www.livescience.com/65501-fe...explained.html If I acted like you in court, the judge would have me handcuffed and hauled away.

Show me any source that says the embryonic heart starts beating in the first week of gestation. If its reliable, I'll admit my error.

-- Jay Beattie.

Far be it for a lawyer to believe the Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/art-20045302

Week 5: Hormone levels increase: Your baby's heart and a primitive circulatory system will form in the middle layer of cells — the mesoderm. This layer of cells will also serve as the foundation for your baby's bones, ligaments, kidneys and much of the reproductive system

Oh, that's right - I forgot to add that it isn't a baby until it implants into the uterine wall at 4 weeks.

But then lawyers have never been known to actually worry about the truth - only what they want the story to be.

Now, read it again slowly, under "week six":

Growth is rapid this week. Just four weeks after conception, the neural tube along your baby's back is closing. The baby's brain and spinal cord will develop from the neural tube. The heart and other organs also are starting to form.

At week six of the pregnancy, four weeks after fertilization and at least two weeks after implantation (your "baby" milestone), the heart is starting to form. Nothing about the heart beating. EVERY source -- even the Christian anti-abortion sites -- put the "heart beat" at or after 3 weeks from fertilization, and there isn't even a heart yet -- just tissue that will become a heart which produces a flutter. 4 weeks after conception (six weeks into the pregnancy) is the standard for a steady heartbeat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbeat_bill http://ldh.la.gov/index.cfm/page/986

-- Jay Beattie.

So explain the difference between murdering that baby and a toddler since it cannot survive on its own either? You seem rather ready to murder things and it is becoming clear that is a liberal trait.
Old August 12th 19, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 7:56:16 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
I reckon an infant should be regarded as the chattel of its parents until the little monster can fend for itself. It can be considered a pet. You're not allowed to abuse a pet or treat it cruelly, but you are allowed to put it down humanely-- whether or not your neighbors approve. There's a gross oversupply of both humans and pets, and unwanted ones cause all kinds of trouble.

Before the creature breathes air, there should be no question that it is the sole property of its mother.

You appear to have written the liberal stance on the world. You are allowed to kill anything that is a bother to you. But you don't want the death penalty because too many liberals commit heinous crimes.
Old August 12th 19, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 11:48:22 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
snip

[...]

So explain why you don't trim posts?

If "liberal" means libertarian, yes, I believe the rights of the mother outweigh the interest of the state and/or a pea-sized embryo. With all your tin-foil hat, drain-the-swamp, evil government conspiracies, I would think you would be first in line to support the right of a woman to make her own choice, free from evil government oppression. Do you hate women?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 12th 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 12:46:39 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 11:48:22 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

So explain the difference between murdering that baby and a toddler since it cannot survive on its own either? You seem rather ready to murder things and it is becoming clear that is a liberal trait.

So explain why you don't trim posts?

If "liberal" means libertarian, yes, I believe the rights of the mother outweigh the interest of the state and/or a pea-sized embryo. With all your tin-foil hat, drain-the-swamp, evil government conspiracies, I would think you would be first in line to support the right of a woman to make her own choice, free from evil government oppression. Do you hate women?

And the time to make THAT decision is before a pregnancy and not when the taking of a human life is the alternative. But you've already made that decision haven't you? You say you have a son. What would you think if he was aborted because you gave the mother the idea that you weren't trustworthy?
Old August 13th 19, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 10:14:23 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

If it is not in the area follwing from some event, price dpesn't matter,
but these days with "global shipping(boat, plane, etc) it is usually only
a short lacxk then a price hike as the goods come in from elsehwere.
In Aus, there was a cyclone that hit THE banana(cavendish) growing area.
Banansa had been ~$5/kg before, then not avaiable. A few days later, they
were available again at $17/kg and slowly dropped over the months as some
plants recovered. it wasn't until about a year they were actually back to
$5/kg,or cheaper.

In the book, "A Woman in Berlin' the author notes that over the winter
of 1945~1946 the going rate for a loaf of bread was one gold band.

One has to be wary about historical examples. My generation grew up with
parents who mintained small home gardens so we have some skills in
growing our own foods and continue to do so.. The next generation
benefited from cheap industrially produced foods and have back yard
swimming pools instead of small gardens. If there is an ongoing
interruption to the massive JIT food supply, things will get grim fast.

Post WWII, 'supply" would be many and varied. In this country, about 90%
of all food stuffs comes from centralised, industrial production and
passes through five main markets, if it doesn't go direct to one of the
supermarket chains from the "grower/roducer/suppler". Generally people
don't have "direct market experience".

Old August 13th 19, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tom Kunich wrote:

You appear to have written the liberal stance on the world. You are allowed
to kill anything that is a bother to you. But you don't want the death
penalty because too many liberals commit heinous crimes.

Whatever, dude. If you eat meat and are cool with putting down surplus pets, you're a hypocrite.

As far as "heinous crimes" go, it looks like rich fux and white supremacists have an advantage on that in my country.