What a cool way to fix a puncture!

Old July 20th 04, 09:55 AM
hippy

Default What a cool way to fix a puncture!

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Old July 20th 04, 10:30 AM
Parbs

hippy wrote:
http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Saw a guy doing just this on the Oaks Track (from step 4 anyway) once, not having too much success. He was very grateful when I
gave him a new tube.

Parbs

Old July 20th 04, 10:42 AM
GDS

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Lol, that's some old school stuff there! never had to do it myself but a guy I used to work with rode 5+kms on his
roadie like that.

Just as a point of interest, how many spare tubes do people here carry? I carry 2 tubes and a repair kit when I go out
on my road bike.

G.

Old July 20th 04, 10:59 AM
eb

"GDS" == GDS writes:

GDS Just as a point of interest, how many spare tubes do people
GDS here carry? I carry 2 tubes and a repair kit when I go out
GDS on my road bike.

One tube and a patch kit. Thus far I've found that if I've gotten a
second puncture it's because of a stinking hole in the tire. At that
point there's not much to do other than walk to the nearest bike shop or
the nearest train station.

I haven't had to resort to calling the boss for a lift in the car. Yet.
--
Regards
Euan
Old July 20th 04, 11:05 AM
DaveB

Just as a point of interest, how many spare tubes do people here
carry? I carry 2 tubes and a repair kit when I go out on my road
bike.

G.

One and a mobile phone (to call my wife), but if it's a family ride (in
which case there is no support vehicle to call) it's 2 tubes and a
repair kit. After two punctures in a triathlon last year I've also taken
to carrying 2 tubes in races. I figure if I get 3 punctures then I may
as well just give up.

DaveB

Old July 20th 04, 11:24 AM
Peter Signorini

"eb" wrote in message
"GDS" == GDS writes:

GDS Just as a point of interest, how many spare tubes do people
GDS here carry? I carry 2 tubes and a repair kit when I go out
GDS on my road bike.

One tube and a patch kit. Thus far I've found that if I've gotten a
second puncture it's because of a stinking hole in the tire. At that
point there's not much to do other than walk to the nearest bike shop or
the nearest train station.

At this point you need to pull out the $5 note and put it into service as a
tyre sleeve. Very effective, I've seen people ride up to 100km with this
holding their tyre/tube in place.

Cheers
Peter

Old July 20th 04, 11:41 AM
hippy

"GDS" wrote in message
Just as a point of interest, how many spare
tubes do people here carry? I carry 2 tubes
and a repair kit when I go out on my road bike.

Usually one spare tube. Sometimes none - I like
to live dangerously :-)

Sometimes with a puncture kit, usually with glue
that's long since evaporated :-)

Riding to Toolangi the other day I took 2 and a
puncture kit because I've got no one to pick me
up and it wasn't on the weekend when a bit of
traffic would be going by..

hippy

Old July 20th 04, 11:41 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:12:07 +0930, "GDS" wrote:

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Lol, that's some old school stuff there! never had to do it myself but a guy I used to work with rode 5+kms on his
roadie like that.

Just as a point of interest, how many spare tubes do people here carry? I carry 2 tubes and a repair kit when I go out
on my road bike.

Two tubes, one repair kit, instant patches, two compressed air
bottles, one compressed air valve thingy, one schraeder to presta
adaptor, one mobile phone.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old July 20th 04, 03:54 PM
Fraser Johnston

"hippy" wrote in message
http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Went for a ride with a mate by the river in Perth a couple of months ago and
he got a flat. We couldn't find the hole so off came the cycling shoes and
in he waded to see if he could get the tube to bubble under water. It
worked but we got some seriously funny looks.

Fraser

Old July 20th 04, 04:11 PM
DRS

"Richard Sherratt" wrote
in message
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:12:07 +0930, "GDS" wrote:

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Lol, that's some old school stuff there! never had to do it myself
but a guy I used to work with rode 5+kms on his roadie like that.

Just as a point of interest, how many spare tubes do people here
carry? I carry 2 tubes and a repair kit when I go out on my road
bike.

Two tubes, one repair kit, instant patches, two compressed air
bottles, one compressed air valve thingy, one schraeder to presta
adaptor, one mobile phone.

Are you going for a ride or going to war?

Sheesh.

--

A: Top-posters.

Puncture resistant tyres Julian UK 16 March 13th 04 11:19 AM
Explosive puncture Sky Fly UK 9 November 17th 03 07:24 PM
Latex tubes , Hold air longer and puncture resistant??? Robert Box Techniques 20 September 24th 03 04:05 PM