VAT free batteries.

Old November 14th 08, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Default VAT free batteries.

Simon Mason wrote:
If one uses the Jersey based http://www.7dayshop.com
then no VAT is charged for purchases of less than £18. Using two
transactions I have had a delivery of 8 packs of Panasonic alkaline 8
X AAs for £15.92 which works out at 25p a cell. Sells at around 40p a
cell usually.

An order of 40 X Duracell Ultra M3 AAAs was £13.49 or 34p a cell.
Currently 87p a cell in Argos.

I have a set of 2800mA NiMHs as well, but prefer alkaline for
commuting as I have had NiMHs die on me before. The alkalines being a
higher voltage make for brighter lights as well.

You should have got Energizer Lithium instead of the alkalines. Thet stay
nearer 1.5V making your lights brighter for far longer, weigh much less,
work better at low temperature, have an extremely long shelf life, and are
good value for money too at 7dayshop's prices.

~PB

Old November 14th 08, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old November 14th 08, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Simon Mason wrote:

Thanks Pete, I hadn't considered using Li-ion cells in AA or AAA form.

You're welcome.

They're lithium (not rechargeable) rather than lithium ion (rechargeable).
They are great, but only worth buying at special offer prices - like
7dayshop's. Also, Jessops at the moment, and Tescos sometimes, have them @
£4 for 4.

~PB

Old November 14th 08, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

_ wrote:

It is probably the only advantage possessed by alkaline cells; a
warning to change 'em.

That is a handy advantage, but still you get /some/ warning with lithium and
high-capacity NiMHs when used with average cycle LED lights. Get in the
habit of charging or changing the batteries before they've run out (judging
from your experience) and it will rarely be an issue anyway.

~PB

Old November 14th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Pete Biggs" t wrote in
message ...
Simon Mason wrote:
If one uses the Jersey based http://www.7dayshop.com
then no VAT is charged for purchases of less than £18. Using two
transactions I have had a delivery of 8 packs of Panasonic alkaline 8
X AAs for £15.92 which works out at 25p a cell. Sells at around 40p a
cell usually.

An order of 40 X Duracell Ultra M3 AAAs was £13.49 or 34p a cell.
Currently 87p a cell in Argos.

I have a set of 2800mA NiMHs as well, but prefer alkaline for
commuting as I have had NiMHs die on me before. The alkalines being a
higher voltage make for brighter lights as well.

You should have got Energizer Lithium instead of the alkalines. Thet stay
nearer 1.5V making your lights brighter for far longer, weigh much less,
work better at low temperature, have an extremely long shelf life, and are
good value for money too at 7dayshop's prices.

Looks good!
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=103500

Old November 14th 08, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:52:02 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

I suspect that Simon's concern comes more from the discharge curve shape
that from the length of time the cells last.

Alkalines have a gradual decay of voltage and this can be seen as a dimming
well before the lights go out entirely; NimH's and primary lithiums have a
much sharper knee in the curve (somewhat less so for lithiums, but only at
discharge rates which are probably much higher than those found in his
lighting set).

Old November 14th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:09:13 GMT
_ wrote:

It is probably the only advantage possessed by alkaline cells; a
warning to change 'em.

I think if I was using battery lights for commuting over any distance at
this time of year I'd fit two sets with rechargeable cells and change
the cells at different times, or use rechargeables in the main front
light and lithium or alkaline in the backup.

Old November 14th 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Daniel Barlow wrote:
"Pete Biggs" t
writes:

That is a handy advantage, but still you get /some/ warning with
lithium and high-capacity NiMHs when used with average cycle LED
lights.

I get about, oh, five minutes from mine (NiMH AA cells, Fenix torch).
Which is not really enough to avoid the need to carry a spare set if I
can't remember when I last charged them - but really no big deal, as
long as I don't put them in the same jersey pocket as any metallic
objects they might short against.

The Fenix torch ain't even a cycle light, let alone an average cycle light
:-)

~PB

Polar HRM batteries. neon Australia 9 January 24th 07 06:29 AM
Cheap 6v 4aH SLA Batteries HughMann Australia 10 May 15th 06 04:20 AM
SLA Batteries Peter UK 5 February 3rd 06 07:35 PM
Burned out batteries ... maybe ... Stuart Lamble Australia 10 August 25th 05 09:59 PM