Secret Thermal Camera Footage Allegedly Shows Seven Pro CyclistsUsing Illegal Motors In Bikes

Old April 24th 16, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Secret Thermal Camera Footage Allegedly Shows Seven Pro CyclistsUsing Illegal Motors In Bikes

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 7:41:14 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Secret Thermal Camera Footage Allegedly Shows Seven Pro Cyclists Using
Illegal Motors In Bikes
http://fittish.deadspin.com/secret-thermal-camera-footage-allegedly-shows-seven-pro-1771492666

Basically, they are now using small motors, which concentrate more
waste energy in a smaller space, producing a higher temperature, which
can now be detected with an IR camera.

Best example is at 4:55 and 8:25 in the video (en français):
https://youtu.be/e0s2yo6ws9U (19:39)

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

The Lithium Ion batteries also heat up as they discharge, thus the additional heat signature under the saddles.
Old April 24th 16, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:57:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 7:41:14 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Secret Thermal Camera Footage Allegedly Shows Seven Pro Cyclists Using
Illegal Motors In Bikes
http://fittish.deadspin.com/secret-thermal-camera-footage-allegedly-shows-seven-pro-1771492666

Basically, they are now using small motors, which concentrate more
waste energy in a smaller space, producing a higher temperature, which
can now be detected with an IR camera.

Best example is at 4:55 and 8:25 in the video (en français):
https://youtu.be/e0s2yo6ws9U (19:39)

The Lithium Ion batteries also heat up as they discharge,
thus the additional heat signature under the saddles.

That only works when the battery is almost fully discharged. See:
http://electronicdesign.com/boards/keep-eye-temperature-trends-during-li-ion-battery-charge-and-discharge-cycles
Notice how the temperature rises only at the end of the discharge
cycle:
http://electronicdesign.com/site-files/electronicdesign.com/files/archive/electronicdesign.com/files/29/21583/fig_02.gif
LiIon battery controller chips are suppose to prevent that, but after
spending some huge amount for such a system, and taking considerable
risks to one's reputation, killing the battery is not a concern.
Putting the IR camera near the end of the race might work for viewing
battery heating.

As I understand it, most of the batteries are in the seat tube.
Accumulated heat from the motor, conducted to the seat tube, is easily
visible. Probably same for warm batteries. So, drip some water from
a nearby water bottle through the seat tube and out a hole in the
bottom bracket. As the water goes past the batteries and motor, it
takes the heat with it. I should probably patent this...

Old April 24th 16, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 21:41:59 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

[...]

But an easily solvable problem. Just disassemble the winning bike.
Seat post out, BB out, done :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 24th 16, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/24/2016 12:41 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I wonder about motor detection using a magnetometer.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 24th 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Why so complicated? Doesn't the whole setup weigh 1.5 kg? Every bike
heavier than 6.8 kg is suspicious.

--
Lou
Old April 24th 16, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 18:21:21 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But an easily solvable problem. Just disassemble the winning bike.
Seat post out, BB out, done :-)

Sure. I'm wondering why this isn't being done now? My best guess(tm)
is that the degree of mechanical doping currently being practiced is
sufficiently high that it would be a major embarassment to the sport.
What would happen if the winner and the next few runner ups were all
using powered assist devices?

Anyway, after we're done playing with power assisted bicycles, perhaps
we should move on to power assisted shoes? Expanding bladder between
the sole of the shoe and the foot. Powered by an electric air pump.
Inflates on the downstroke, and collapses on the upstroke. Kinda like
a miniature version of these gasoline powered shoes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/17/business/worldbusiness/17gazshoes.html?_r=0

Old April 24th 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 24/04/16 19:26, Lou Holtman wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Build a light bike, say 5.3 kg and your spot on the UCI weight limit.

Old April 24th 16, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 09:55:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I wonder about motor detection using a magnetometer.

I saw a video somewhere of race officials using the MEMS magnetometer
in an iPad to detect unusual magnetic sources in bicycles. Lots of
apps available for Apple or Android. For example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keuwl.gaussmeter&hl=en
The magnetic field will probably be blocked by a steel frame, but will
surely go through a carbon fiber frame. I'm not sure how an aluminum
frame will work. However, that assumes that the motor is a PM
(permanent magnet) type. It could be some other type that doesn't use
a PM, have no magnetic field, and would therefore be undetectable.

Detecting the batteries is more difficult. I suspect that the next
generation of hidden batteries will be wearable and made from cloth:
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/february1/batteries-from-cloth-020510.html
With a reported energy density of 20 Watt-hours per kilogram,
a piece of eTextile weighing 0.3 kilograms (about 10 ounces,
the approximate weight of a T-shirt) could hold up to three
times more energy than a cell phone battery.

Old April 25th 16, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

But an easily solvable problem. Just disassemble the winning bike.
Seat post out, BB out, done :-)

Sure. I'm wondering why this isn't being done now? My best guess(tm)
is that the degree of mechanical doping currently being practiced is
sufficiently high that it would be a major embarassment to the sport.
What would happen if the winner and the next few runner ups were all
using powered assist devices?

Anyway, after we're done playing with power assisted bicycles, perhaps
we should move on to power assisted shoes? Expanding bladder between
the sole of the shoe and the foot. Powered by an electric air pump.
Inflates on the downstroke, and collapses on the upstroke. Kinda like
a miniature version of these gasoline powered shoes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/17/business/worldbusiness/17gazshoes.html?_r=0

Way back when the Sports Club of America (SCCA) had a rule that any
competitor could protest another competitor's car for failure to
comply with the construction rules. If an individual protested a car
then the car was torn down to determine whether it met the class
rules. If it didn't then it was disqualified but if it did the
protestor had to pay for the tear down and reassembly.

While it may not have caught the really crafty people it did serve to
keep the majority of the folks honest.

The current F1 rules require a mandatory inspection and measurement of
all cars before the race.

In short, mechanical cheating is easy to control.
--

Cheers,

John B.