Vistalite nightstick charger help

Old July 28th 03, 10:07 AM
John Doe

Default Vistalite nightstick charger help

: Considering an appropriate Step-down voltage converter will be $49 or
more,
: It'd probably be cheaper to replace the charger with one designed for
240V.

Agree

Old July 28th 03, 10:08 AM
John Doe

:
: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it not a switching mode power supply that will auto detect the input
voltage? A lot of modern power supplies are like this (although cheaper
ones will not). I think to do what you want will require a stepdown
transformer. I think that would be quite expensive compared to just buying
another power supply from somewhere like www.jaycar.com.au All you have to
do is find out what the output voltage and current you have and match it.
One can be had for around $25 with a wide selection of plugs to fit.

Old July 29th 03, 12:56 PM
John Doe

: The current is compatible! It's the voltage that is the problem.
:
: Theo

Its a no-brainer. I have much equipment purchased out of the country. See
Jaycar or other electronics supplier.

Peter

Old July 29th 03, 01:17 PM
Theo Bekkers

"John Doe" wrote

Its a no-brainer. I have much equipment purchased out of the

country. See
Jaycar or other electronics supplier.

Only with equipment that uses modern efficient power supplies. Twenty
years ago most stuff was series regulated and some of the transformers
that were designed to run on 60Hz did not take kindly to 50Hz. There's
still a lot of gear out there that uses transformers and 50Hz will
generate a lot more heat in the transformer than 60Hz as well as pass
more current. It does require a brain.

Theo

Old July 30th 03, 08:47 AM
Michael Rand

do not use just an adapter it will fry your b attery pack. The only way to
do it is to get a 240 v converter with the same out put out as the one you
received from the states . Eg the input for yours will be 110 volts ac and
the out put will be around 6 volts dc at about 1 amp per hour. just buy a
charger with the same out put as the one on the American charger and Bobs
your uncle .
Randy