British Bike Tribes in THE INDEPENDENT

Old June 6th 08, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Artemisia[_2_]

Default British Bike Tribes in THE INDEPENDENT

Article in today's INDEPENDENT about bike "tribes" in the UK - dark
siders, Bromptonautes, etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...es-841244.html

Apologies if already posted.

EFR
Ile de France
Old June 6th 08, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 00:13:45 -0700 (PDT), Artemisia
said in
:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...es-841244.html

Hurrah! Darth Stuart represents the Darksiders.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 6th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_4_]

I'm not too happy about the courier who said

"I'm not as aggressive as some couriers, many of whom take even me by
surprise. Recently, a woman walked out in front of me while I was
filtering through traffic at Parliament Square. I hit her so hard she
was out cold for about a minute."

I've been a courier and frankly there's no excuse for that sort of
thing. I doesn't take too long to realize that around london many people
are used to traffic that comes from the left.. you just take extra care.

and as for the statement:

"I don't take too many risks but it's hard - most of us get paid by the
drop and the faster you go, the more money you make."

well, I think I know how most of us would feel if a taxi or LGV driver
were to say that.

Roger Thorpe
Old June 6th 08, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:51:41 +0100
Roger Thorpe wrote:

I'm not too happy about the courier who said

"I'm not as aggressive as some couriers, many of whom take even me by
surprise. Recently, a woman walked out in front of me while I was
filtering through traffic at Parliament Square. I hit her so hard she
was out cold for about a minute."

I've been a courier and

Write to the paper! You're exactly the person to be seen complaining
of that particular comment.

--
not me guv
Old June 6th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Roger Thorpe wrote:

I'm not too happy about the courier

Not just him - the fixy guy who ignores the legal requirement for a
brake, the one who thinks it's safe to hang shopping from the
handlebars ...

Old June 6th 08, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...heel-life-a-gu...

Apologies if already posted.

EFR
Ile de France

That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

I've been fighting an urge for a year or so to get hold of a similar
BMX to the one I had in th 80s - a Raleigh Burner Super Tuff-II with
Skyway Mags - before the oval tubing nonsense...

...The wife's away this weekend - I wonder how she'd feel about
another bike in the lounge? Maybe if I hid it under all the others
she wouldn't even notice!

Regards,

Duncan
Old June 6th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

...The wife's away this weekend - I wonder how she'd feel about
another bike in the lounge? Maybe if I hid it under all the others
she wouldn't even notice!

Regards,

Duncan

Not been married long? IM(limited)E wives/partners can notice an extra
grain of dust if you've been assigned to doing the cleaning....

pOB

Old June 6th 08, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:08:08 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Duncan
Smith wrote this:-

That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

Someone who swings both ways. Bisexual:-)

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old June 6th 08, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed[_3_]

Smith wrote this:-

That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

Someone who swings both ways. Bisexual:-)

Bikesexual, surely! ;-)

Old June 6th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Colin Reed wrote:

.. .
Smith wrote this:-

That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

Someone who swings both ways. Bisexual:-)

Bikesexual, surely! ;-)

What have French leap-years got to do with it? ;-)