London learner

Old July 11th 05, 11:11 AM
John Hearns

Default London learner

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:00:00 +0100, antgel wrote:

Hi all,

What with the recent events in London and general frustration with
traffic, I'm tempted to take up cycling. In order to placate my worried
parents, I'd like to do some sort of proficiency course. However, after
looking at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/safety-...training.shtml, my
borough doesn't do one. Is my only resort a commercial training company,
and can somebody recommend one? (I can ride, having had a BMX as a kid,
but need to learn how to ride safely on the road.)

First thing to do is contact the LCC. Give them a phone.
http://www.lcc.org.uk

Your local LCC group might help with a 'bike buddy' to come along on
your route to work for the first few days.

That's no substitute for training though.
Two companies come to mind:
Cycletraining UK http://www.cycletraining.co.uk
If you book a lesson, they will send a trainer to your door, or place of
work

London School of Cycling
http://www.londonschoolofcycling.co.uk

Several London boroughs fund an hour of training.
The information may not be on the DfT website - may we ask which
borough you are in?

Old July 11th 05, 11:43 AM
John Hearns

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:24:17 +0100, antgel wrote:

John Hearns wrote:
Several London boroughs fund an hour of training. The information may
not be on the DfT website - may we ask which borough you are in?

Tower Hamlets.

No subsidised lessons, AFAIK. But look at
http://www.towerhamletswheelers.org.uk/

Beginning in London nsj UK 24 September 25th 05 09:21 AM
Critical Mass starts Riot in London Terrorized Ifoundmore Social Issues 0 July 13th 05 04:30 AM
Cycling to the eastern edge of London Tom Anderson UK 15 April 19th 05 05:08 PM
In the News: £22m cycling centre for London Jason Spaceman Racing 0 February 16th 05 11:51 AM
London design Standards for Cycling Jeremy Parker UK 3 February 3rd 04 06:19 PM