advisor wanted

Old November 2nd 05, 05:42 PM
Bertie Wiggins

Default advisor wanted

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:34:08 -0800, wrote:

My last visit to an ER was for
a broken collar bone in 1994 and the bill was for some $1500.

How would a cycle helmet protect the collar bone?
Old November 2nd 05, 07:58 PM

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:12:53 +0000, Tony Raven

- that helmet promotion and compulsion reduce cycling, which is a
healthy activity that on average prolongs life

There is no other intervening variable causing that reduction? I doubt
the direct link.

I've no doubt you doubt it but then you haven't bothered to do any
research on the subject. In all countries/states where helmet laws have
been introduced, cycling has decreased and in those where they have been
introduced but not enforced, helmet wearing peaked and then declined
again while cyclist numbers dipped and then recovered. So the direct
link is pretty conclusive. Just for information here are some of the
figures on cycling decline in the year following the introduction of
mandatory helmet laws:

Helmet laws introduced = reduced riding is your, and the research
point.

My question stands: did they survey all those riders who reduced their
riding and ask them "why?" If they did not, there may be an
intervening variable. Unless that possibility can be ruled out, it
exists.

Appearances can be deceiving. The link can only be established
directly by surveying those who reduced or quit riding and asking them
why. Otherwise, there is a strong possibility that helmets use reduces
riding, bt it is not definitive.

BTW, what method was used to determine the riding levels?

State Falls in cycle use
Australian Capital Territory 33% to 50%
New South Wales 44% to 90% for children
Northern Territory 50% commuters, 17% to 39% schoolchildren
Queensland 22% to 30% children
South Australia 38% schoolchildren
Victoria 36% to 46% children
Western Australia 26% to 38% overall, more than 50% children
British Columbia 28%
Nova Scotia 40% to 60%.

Old November 2nd 05, 08:05 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:42:41 +0000, Bertie Wiggins
cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk said in
:

My last visit to an ER was for
a broken collar bone in 1994 and the bill was for some $1500.

How would a cycle helmet protect the collar bone?

Tut tut! Surely you have read the 1989 Seattle study? If they can
prevent broken legs and torso injuries they can surely prevent broken
collar bones! Oh ye of little faith...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old November 2nd 05, 08:06 PM

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:45:39 +0000, Tony Raven

The question you have avoided is: which is friendliest to cyclists -
the US or Europe?

I've already said, both the same and that from plenty of experience of
both. Which would you say? Ah I forgot you have no experience of
Europe so you don't know

You call them even. That is now anecdotal. How does the shoe fit that
you take me to task for?

You talk physics, I talk about the possibility that helmets may reduce
the severity of a head impact and keep someone from going to the ER.
We've had a couple of people say that is the case anecdoatally. I
guess that is irrelevant to you.

Anecdote is anecdote. It tells you nothing about what is likely to
happen. I know anecdotes of people who jumped out of planes at altitude
without a parachute and walked away uninjured. Doesn't tell you
anything about the advisability of jumping out of a plane without a
parachute

Excuse me? Anecdotal tells you that somehting outside the expected CAN
happen. If things happened 100% the way non-helmet advocates say,
there would be NO anecdotal evicdence to the contrary such as mine and
another posted..

The fact is I destroyed a helmet and did not end up in the hospital
for a head injury. That rock hitting my head would have been a
different matter. That is a fact regardless of whether or not you like
it. All stats aside.

As useful as the anecdote about jumping without a parachute.

See above.

And how many times in Europe have you been deliberately and
calculatedly squeezed to the side of a road by a driver? How many
times in Europe have you had some driver you have never encountered
yell out that they hope someone runs over you? How many times in
Europe have you been run up behind and deliberately bumpered by a car
and then the driver telling you to get off the road and on the
sidewalk?

I'm not addressing an accident here, but cold calculated intimidation
of cyclists by motorists.

Oh yes, and over what time span did all this happen?

You clearly have never ridden in Europe or you would know it is about as
common as in the USA. A Google of uk.rec.cycling will give you plenty
of such stories.

I asked YOU for specific information. Why are you dodging that?

How many times . . . I'll not repeat them all again, they are
immediately above.

jim

Old November 2nd 05, 08:08 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:00:23 -0800, said in
:

Quit reading between the lines and read the
lines. I was using it as an example of what an ER visit did cost me
and my insurance company.

And given that there is no evidence of helmet use reducing ER visits
in any real population, that is relevant how, precisely?

Guy

Old November 2nd 05, 08:33 PM

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:17:31 +0000, Peter Clinch

I suggest you read back up the thread before your mouth writes another
check your ass cannot cash. I have always maintained that non-serious
injuries are the ones that do not take you to the ER.

But since non-serious injuries aren't serious, why does this affect your
overall safety on a bike?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Or have you memeory problems from
hitting your head too frequently? Someone was having rading problems
and this was posted to clarify that. Did that go right past you?

The question you have avoided is: which is friendliest to cyclists -
the US or Europe?

What measure do you want to use? Have *you* answered it objectively?
That will be "no", then... Once again you ignore the fact that the
burden of proof applies to you just as much as to people who disagree
with you.

I am simply asking a very direct question that you are also invited to
answer:

Which is friendliest to cyclists - the US or Europe?

As close as I came to Europe was Greece. Does that count? If so,
Europe would be my vote. Now, remove your head from that provebial
dark place where your ASSumption about where I have ridden has placed
it.

You talk physics, I talk about the possibility that helmets may reduce
the severity of a head impact and keep someone from going to the ER.

Yet you can't come up with any figures to show this is the case. If
they had gone to ER that would have been a serious injury and the
serious injury rate would be higher as a result if your supposition was
correct. The figures don't back you up.

Nice turnaround. I have also maintained that these figures cannot be
found ecause they are not collected. The body of the anecdotal
evidence that helmets work would probably be in this area - as would
the incident that happened to me. YOU on the other hand have only
ventured into the seious injury category and try to use that
information as being exlusive. It is not.

We've had a couple of people say that is the case anecdoatally. I
guess that is irrelevant to you.

It is statistically irrelevant, yes, because the figures take *all* the
anecdotes into account, and all those anecdotes of keeping people out of
ER should be bringing the serious injury rates down with increasing
helmet use. But they aren't.

It s relevant because it shows that things do happpen outside the
expected norms. The reports you cite do not include them because they
are not collected. Or can you prove they were collected?

The fact is I destroyed a helmet and did not end up in the hospital
for a head injury. That rock hitting my head would have been a
different matter. That is a fact regardless of whether or not you like
it. All stats aside.

But you may only have hit the rock in the first place as a result of
wearing the helmet, directly from your head being bigger and heavier
with a helmet on or indirectly through behaviour modified by risk
homeostasis. And if it really did save you a trip to the ER and was
entirely beneficial in that case then it doesn't affect any future
incident when a helmet could make you worse off.

Writing science fiction I see. Bad attempt, pete. Take SciFi Wriitng
101 again. While you would like to attribute it to some farfetched
reason, they do not apply. I am a conservative rider. Had the helmet
made a difference in my riding (assume going faster) I probably would
have missed the rock despte the extra 12 onces on my 220+ pound body
at that time.

You missed the lead-in question didn't you? My mid definitely knows
that a helmet kept me out of an ER.

As above, you don't, and even if you did it doesn't have any effect on
future incidents where a helmet could hinder things.

The accident happened as described. Accept it or not, your choice. MY
experience proves helmets work in the situation described.

But you can't guarantee any future accident will be exactly that
situation, so the knowledge is of no use.

No, I cannot not and have never said that I could. Can you guarantee
that someone else's accident will end up 100% the way you think it
will vis-a-vis a helmet? The study nothwithstanding, someone can
always be that 1 in x exception to the study. You cannot say that
helmets are useless unless you can prove that 100% because yours has
been and is a categorical statement, "helmets do not work."

Wrong. They do.

And how many times in Europe have you been deliberately and
calculatedly squeezed to the side of a road by a driver?

More than once.

times in Europe have you had some driver you have never encountered
yell out that they hope someone runs over you?

More than once.

How many times in
Europe have you been run up behind and deliberately bumpered by a car
and then the driver telling you to get off the road and on the
sidewalk?

Hasn't happened to me, but has happened to others reporting on
uk.rec.cycling

I'm not addressing an accident here, but cold calculated intimidation
of cyclists by motorists.

More than once.

Oh yes, and over what time span did all this happen?

It's been happening to people on and off for years in the UK, and
continues to happen. Recent report in the UK press noted a cyclist was
blinded by an egg thrown from a car.

This is about YOU (whoever answers) not some incident in the papers.

How many times and over what period of time in Europe?

For reference, all these happened to me in a matter of two months in
San Diego. I never, NEVER, had any such thing or close to it while
riding in Greece.

None of this is an objective measure of hostility, but may filter
through to you that the UK isn't the jolly friendly cycling paradise you
seem to imagine. And even in much more cycle friendly places serious
cyclist injuries tend to be from impacts with motor vehicles and once
you're in those accidents then there is no proof that a helmet makes any
tangible difference to you coming out the other side intact.

I would not consider the role of paradise for the jolly old UK,
because I am not so supid as to believe that the UK constitutes the
entirely of Europe. Nr would I consider Europe as being a paradise.
Most of my friends that go to Europe to ride DO consider it as being
much more cycling friendly than the roadways here in SoCal.

jim

Old November 2nd 05, 08:37 PM

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:37:46 +0000, Tony Raven

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:04:04 -0000, "Dave Larrington"

This comment fails to address the relative safety of cyclists because
of attitudes and acceptance of cycling, doesn't it? Without that
comparative information, the stats are interesting, but may not be
telling you what YOU think they are. I'm betting you know people who
have cycled in Europe who would not venture on the road in the US
because of the attitude of US drivers.
Speaking as a "European" who has recently covered almost six thousand miles
on the roads of the US, I think I can safely state that driving standards,
and attitudes towards other road users both powered and unpowered, differ as
widely from state to state in the US as they do between countries in Europe.
Personally I find it to be a toss-up between Belgium and California as to
which is the most terrifying place to use the roads.

Well, that may be, but overall? Europe or the US as cycling
friendliest?

Yep, I've cycled in Mexico on the roads and never had a driver
deliberately try to squeeze me to the side of the road. I have that
happen about a half dozen times in San Diego. Our roads are both
smoother and wider than those I covered in Mexico.

I would be convinced that Mexico is more cycxlist friendly, alathough
trying to go through the main business roads in Tijuana is much more
hazardous.

So you haven't cycled in Europe then and you are imagining what it is
like? Actually the worst of the countries we've discussed to cycle in
is New Zealand IMO and there we have the data that helmets increased
head injury rates.

Greece is as close as I've been. My comments about that are elsewhere.

My question about Eurpoe is based on my riding friends who do go to
Europe and cycle while there. They consider Europe as being more
cycling friendly. They ride the same roads I do here in SoCal.

jim