Pedestrians are endangered species

Old August 1st 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Default Pedestrians are endangered species

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:09:00 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
Cruiser Philosopher" wrote:

On Jul 31, 12:09*pm, Julian wrote:
On 31/07/2012 17:03, TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:

On Jul 31, 11:25 am, "possum" wrote:
"Julian" wrote in

On 31/07/2012 09:52, qzwxec wrote:
"Julian" wrote in
message
On 30/07/2012 14:40, TibetanMonkey, the
Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:
(I may have given up my dream of riding
a bike in America, but
walking... walking is the ultimate
necessity of the human being.

Are paraplegics not human?

Cannot see the point.

All are very sorry for paraplegics.

Do you mean that because of paraplegics
other healthy more lucky humans
should not practice & enjoy walking?

No.

there's the issue that monkey's claim that
"walking is the ultimate necessity of the
human being" can't stand up, if you'll
pardon the pun.

possum

To make it dangerous, to make it stupid, to make it impractical
doesn't mean walking is not the ultimate need of the human being.

If walking is the "ultimate need" what does that make, for instance,
breathing? A part time hobby, perhaps?

Breathing is like farting. It's a bodily function.

Now let me ask you some questions: Are overcrowded pigs in cages
happy?

Apparently you aren't a farmer (a politically correct method of saying
"you don't know what you are talking about; again). Yes pigs in cages
appear to be perfectly happy - so long as they are fed, watered and
kept cool.

Can you keep your children inside playing games all the time
without contact with the outside world? That's what my neighbor does
because he's afraid to let his child roam free out there. It's the
boondocks you know, and there are no sidewalks and cars go fast, real
fast on these narrow winding roads. The posted speed ranges from 35mph
to 55mph where people walk. The shoulder simply disappears at times
and you must share the road with traffic. Many people do, whole
families do. This is a destination for New Yorkers and they enjoy
walking, at least some of the time, like on Sabbath.

And the city where I come from is like any other city out there. Parks
are full of homeless, junkies and sexual predators in the urban
jungle. Not a place for children. They don't let you launch a kayak
though. The ultimate ticket to freedom is often limited by the access
to launching your boat.

You need a car to go somewhere where you may find an island of peace.
Most people simply give up and live in the cage.

Cheers,
John B.
Old August 1st 12, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Cruiser Philosopher" wrote:
[...]

Sorry, nothing cool about being a pig. Have you interviewed and ask
them if they are happy?

I bet you they miss being a wild boar.

Now you are being stupid.

Aren't you aware that most who raise animals try to keep them happy?
Not from any great feeling of affection but simply that contented
animals are (1) much easier to care for and (2) gain weight faster,
give more milk, tend not to become cannibalistic, injure themselves,
or any of the other antics that unhappy, terrified animals get up to.
It is just plain better business to have contented animals.

Cheers,
John B.
Old August 2nd 12, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Cruiser Philosopher" wrote:
[...]

Sorry, the politicians and bureaucrats don't seem to apply that.
Perhaps they don't know it.

I see. We have federal and local laws protecting animals from inhuman
treatment but "politicians and bureaucrats don't seem to apply that."?
Perhaps a more accurate statement is, "You don't know what you are
talking about".

Cheers,
John B.
Old August 2nd 12, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 11:15:43 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
Cruiser Philosopher" wrote:

Cruiser Philosopher" wrote:
[...]

Oh wait, I think I get it. They extrapolated that because they think
pigs are happy being fat, we should be no less.

But we need some kind of hard evidence that pigs are actually happy
and that they don't want to roam free like wild boars.

There has been hard evidence for ages. Domestic pigs like to eat. If
you turn them loose they will come back to the sty for food.

I personally like roaming free but I know people who are happy on a
couch or in a prison cell without space. Even driving bores me. My
monkey mind needs constant stimulation and play.

Roaming free? Afraid to walk; afraid to ride a bicycle. A vivid
imagination or delusions?

But maybe we have degenerated into having a pig's mind.

From observation a pig's interest appears to be entered on Food,
Water, Sleep, Comfort (comfortable temperature) and Sex.

Cheers,
John B.
Old August 2nd 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Cruiser Philosopher" wrote:
[...]

And those laws don't protect humans from violent drivers who think
bipedal animals --that's us-- should be on the road or near the road.

Interesting. How many times have you been hit? Or this another of your
fantasies?

But a bit of research shows that some 4,092 pedestrians died in 2009
and some 3,533 swimmers also died. Are we to assume that the danger to
swimmers lies with violent drivers?

But, while some 4 thousand pedestrians died, an infinitesimal
percentage of the population who, for the purpose of this study will
all be assumed to be able to walk, some 618 cyclists lost their life.
or to put it another way those who died on bicycles were something
like 1/6th of the numbers of pedestrians who died. Or another way of
calculating it shows that 1/74,665th of the population died from
walking and 1/6th of that number died on bicycles.

On the other hand, some 300,000 die every year due to obesity related
problems.

It is obvious that walking or riding a bicycle is a highly dangerous
pastime and one that people should avoid like the plague.

Cheers,
John B.
Old August 3rd 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 08-02-2012 10:29, John B. wrote:
But, while some 4 thousand pedestrians died, an infinitesimal
percentage of the population who, for the purpose of this study will
all be assumed to be able to walk, some 618 cyclists lost their life.
or to put it another way those who died on bicycles were something
like 1/6th of the numbers of pedestrians who died. Or another way of
calculating it shows that 1/74,665th of the population died from
walking and 1/6th of that number died on bicycles.

On the other hand, some 300,000 die every year due to obesity related
problems.

It is obvious that walking or riding a bicycle is a highly dangerous
pastime and one that people should avoid like the plague.

My grandfather's sister died at age twelve.
And I have photographic evidence that she owned a bicycle.

--
Wes Groleau

“Lewis's case for the existence of God is fallacious.”
"You mean like circular reasoning?”
“He believes in God. Therefore, he's fallacious."

Old August 3rd 12, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Cruiser Philosopher" wrote:
[...]

Tell that to the 99% of Americans that neither walk nor ride. And tell
them this:

And yet another example of someone who expounds loudly without knowing
what he is talking about.

According to the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports

"Approximately half of the 165 million American adults (18
years of age and older) claim they exercise regularly, and the number
who walk for exercise is increasing every year

(165 million is about half of the U.S. population)

Walking is the only exercise in which the rate of participation does
not decline in the middle and later yearn. In a national survey, the
highest percentage of regular walkers (39.4%) for any group was found
among men 65 years of age and older.

....Unlike tennis, running, skiing, and other activities that have
gained great popularity fairly recently, walking has been widely
practiced as a recreational and fitness activity throughout recorded
history."

"The worse thing to fear is fear itself"

But I don't fear fear. I fear the constant struggle and humiliations I
must endure with mad drivers.

In other words, we must tame drivers before promoting walking/riding.

You provide yet more evidence of the denial so evident in the modern
U.S. You don't cycle because you are lazy or timid, you demand the
"taming" of the other guy. Luckily your forerunners weren't so
terrified of the real world or they would still be on the boat;
waiting for the Indians to give them permission to set foot on shore.
Cheers,
John B.
Old August 3rd 12, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/2/2012 7:37 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

And the killer bicyclists themselves:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/jfkgrfth.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 3rd 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 03/08/12 10:37, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 08-02-2012 10:29, John B. wrote:
But, while some 4 thousand pedestrians died, an infinitesimal
percentage of the population who, for the purpose of this study will
all be assumed to be able to walk, some 618 cyclists lost their life.
or to put it another way those who died on bicycles were something
like 1/6th of the numbers of pedestrians who died. Or another way of
calculating it shows that 1/74,665th of the population died from
walking and 1/6th of that number died on bicycles.

On the other hand, some 300,000 die every year due to obesity related
problems.

It is obvious that walking or riding a bicycle is a highly dangerous
pastime and one that people should avoid like the plague.

My grandfather's sister died at age twelve.
And I have photographic evidence that she owned a bicycle.

Riding bike is dangerous. Mr Wiggins says so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...r-cycling.html

--
JS.
Old August 3rd 12, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:37:29 -0400, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 08-02-2012 10:29, John B. wrote:
But, while some 4 thousand pedestrians died, an infinitesimal
percentage of the population who, for the purpose of this study will
all be assumed to be able to walk, some 618 cyclists lost their life.
or to put it another way those who died on bicycles were something
like 1/6th of the numbers of pedestrians who died. Or another way of
calculating it shows that 1/74,665th of the population died from
walking and 1/6th of that number died on bicycles.

On the other hand, some 300,000 die every year due to obesity related
problems.

It is obvious that walking or riding a bicycle is a highly dangerous
pastime and one that people should avoid like the plague.

My grandfather's sister died at age twelve.
And I have photographic evidence that she owned a bicycle.

Yup, and a guy in my class in high school died of pneumonia; and he
owned a bicycle.

Perhaps they are more of a danger then we realize.
Cheers,
John B.