Offline

Old January 15th 04, 08:05 PM
Guy Chapman

Default Offline

A power spike has just taken out my server. Arse.

Guy
Old January 15th 04, 09:32 PM
Alan

You should have invested in a UPS.

om...

Old January 15th 04, 09:37 PM
Thomas

"Guy Chapman" wrote in message
om...
A power spike has just taken out my server. Arse.

Guy

Sad fact: I used to host a couple of personal websites from a laptop.
Certainly saved buying a UPS.

Thomas.

Old January 15th 04, 09:58 PM
chris French

In message , Alan
writes

[twice]

You should have invested in a UPS.

Just wanted to rub it in...???
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old January 15th 04, 10:40 PM
Simonb

Guy Chapman wrote:
A power spike has just taken out my server. Arse.

Guy

I run a mail server from a lapop for the same reason. I wrote a script to
interact with APMD letting me know by email when and if it switches from AC
to battery and vice versa. APMD is a great.

Simon

Old January 16th 04, 12:08 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:32:30 -0000, "Alan"
wrote:

You should have invested in a UPS.

I did. It died a year ago. Actually, the one I bought (second hand)
died four years ago, the one that died last year was one I blagged. I
use scrounged and cobbled-together equipment, always have. Sometimes
I wish I didn't. Like - right now for instance.

To be fair I would have been up & running ages ago if my Linux admin
skills weren't so rudimentary. I'm taking the opportunioty of some
downtime to make a few changes which have been pending for a while.
The disks are now back online, with only one bad inode to show for it.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old January 16th 04, 12:17 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Back now, I think.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old January 16th 04, 08:36 AM
Tony Raven

You should have invested in a UPS.

Cue Murphy's first two laws:

1. If something can go wrong it will go wrong
2. When it does go wrong the first person past the door will tell you how you
could have avoided it going wrong.

Tony