Makeshift Ultimate Wheel

Old December 9th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Makeshift Ultimate Wheel

This might have been done before i am not sure. I have taken the frame
and everything attached to it off.
It is like an ultimate wheel, but the ultimate wheels i have seen have
the pedals closer to the rim. I think this will make it easier.
Has anyone done this before and if they have, have you actually learnt
to ride it. I have only ridden for half a revolution. Any tips??

Mike

|Filename: Resize of IMGP0150.jpg |

swarbrim
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

Old December 9th 05, 07:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yes, in fact this was one of the earliest kinds of unicycles used. John
Childs posted 'this link' (http://tinyurl.com/8oe95) in another thread
regarding antiuqe unicycles,

--
subsonic87

Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.
subsonic87's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11153

Old December 9th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

From my own hopeless attempts at riding ultimate wheels, I reckon it'll
be harder with normal cranks than it is with a flat disc - it's hard
enough to stop the wheel wobbling side to side with the pedals almost
in the middle.

--
rob.northcott

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

Old December 9th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I did the same thing (i.e. take the frame off). I could ride it about
100 feet and turn, sometimes hop, and a few different mounts.

I found it nearly impossible to start by holding on to a wall or
something like that. I had to freemount or i couldnt ride it. Look in
my gallery, there is a picture of mine and of me riding it.

--
skate4flip

Post 23000, 25000, and 29000 in the Most Replys thread!!!!

'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/ba75x) *UPDATED 11/20/05*
skate4flip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10198

Old December 9th 05, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

That is what I consider to be a true ultimate wheel. On a disk type
ultimate wheel, you can "cheat" by just letting the wheel rub on your
leg to keep your balance, but on a cranked ultimate wheel, you have to
actually learn to keep your weight properly distributed. I am
currently working on learning to ride one, with 102mm cranks that have
a bit of "q" factor (I think thats what it is called when the pedals
are further away from the wheel).

Most people recommend wearing shin guards, but I would say they are
unnecessary, and without them it will provide negative feedback
whenever you mess up and let the wheel hit your leg. However I would
recomend wrist guards if you have them, as I have had a number of very
bad backward falls, and sometimes my arm gets in the way Try it
both with and without a wall, see what works best for you. Also try
seat dragging on a unicycle, as this gives you some momentum already.
Just keep at it, and it will keep getting easier. Good luck and have
fun!

--
sevenasterisks
sevenasterisks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8632

Old December 10th 05, 09:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

If you have access to a coker, try it with that. It's much easier to
ride than a 20" one with standard cranks. It's fun! Backwards UW
riding is a fun challenge too...definitely do-able (although my best
was only ever 10m or so...but I never really got into the UW riding).

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
'\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

Old December 10th 05, 03:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Here's an idea I think sounds really good. Unfortunately I haven't had a
chance to try it myself since I don't have anywhere to set up the
ropes.
http://tinyurl.com/8ladp

--
Borges
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Old December 10th 05, 03:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

My UW36 is much easier to get going that a 'frameless Coker' but once
you get up to speed, they are very similar.

I prefer the one I designed because I can sling it over my shoulder,
very easy for transporting. (and many other reasons)

[image:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums...016.sized.jpg]

--
Brian MacKenzie

'Training Wheel Not Required DVD'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old December 16th 05, 01:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Hey, that's me!

The UW36 was a lot easier to ride than a 20" UW, it seemed more stable
and I guess the speed got the balance up there a little bit also.

--
digitalattrition

We will eat Big and his brother Huge for breakfast. We will definitely
have a solid grip on Extreme.
--Nick Dijohn

Main Men: Kevin, Tim, Dijohn, Joe, Jim, Bevan

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
http://singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
'Buy stuff from Arrow Racing!' (http://www.arrowracing.com)
digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

A little progress report and some questions... tylercox Unicycling 5 April 9th 05 04:08 AM
Strongest Coker Wheel in the World!!! Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 13 March 8th 05 02:42 AM
Ultimate Wheel Niggel Unicycling 7 February 3rd 05 08:33 AM
Ultimate Wheel: My thighs are on fire! vivalargo Unicycling 3 June 25th 04 01:52 AM
Ultimate Wheel for Sale uniryder777 Unicycling 13 October 10th 03 09:58 PM