Synergy

Old August 6th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

Default Synergy

Sometimes all that crap in my basement comes in handy.

I went into REI to get some camping stuff. They were having their "garage
sale", which basically is a bunch of broken stuff cheap. They had a nice
Blackburn floor pump with a built-in gage for $10.

The problem was that the head was broken, making the pump useless. I
remembered I had kept the hose and head off an old pump. I had once fixed
that old pump by getting one of those pump repair kits that comes with the
appropriate hardware (e.g. fitting and hose clamp), and had put it
"somewhere".

Lo and behold, I quickly found the old hose and head, and fixed the pump to
working order in less than five minutes.

Now, if only I could figure out what to do with the rest of the crap.

--
Mike Kruger
Blog: http://journals.aol.com/mikekr/ZbicyclistsZlog/

Old August 7th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Mike Kruger" writes:

Now, if only I could figure out what to do with the rest of the crap.

Database it, organise it on shelving, stick UPC labels on it, and get
one of those laser scan guns :-)
(IOW, turn your basement into a warehouse.)

I've got a bunch of stuff to get rid of too. Unfortunately, I never
see building site excavations with "clean fill wanted" signs up anymore.
Nowadays they put up modular fences, and have rent-a-cops orbiting
the sites.

Sometimes during my rides I make note of where open drop bins are,
but since I'm working graveyard shift I rarely get the opportunity
to divest myself of superfluous stuff in the dark of night, at other
people's expense.

One of my uncles' rule-of-thumb was -- if it hadn't been used in
the last six months - out it goes. He had a basement in which
one could actually move around. He also had mint condition copies
of National Geographic going back to the wartime 'forties, all
neatly arrayed in cardboard boxes.

I employed much pathos to persuade my across-the-lane-neighbour/
bike shop guy to obtain for me a bike trailer, which I may receive
tomorrow. It'd be interesting to get weighed-in and weighed-out
like the motor vehicles when I take loads down to the local
refuse station. I guess I should offer to do some dump runs for
Mark (the bike shop guy,) too, in return for his benevolent
kindness. Yeah, I'll do just that.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old August 7th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

Mike Kruger wrote:
Sometimes all that crap in my basement comes in handy.

I went into REI to get some camping stuff. They were having their "garage
sale", which basically is a bunch of broken stuff cheap. They had a nice
Blackburn floor pump with a built-in gage for $10.

The problem was that the head was broken, making the pump useless. I
remembered I had kept the hose and head off an old pump. I had once fixed
that old pump by getting one of those pump repair kits that comes with the
appropriate hardware (e.g. fitting and hose clamp), and had put it
"somewhere".

Lo and behold, I quickly found the old hose and head, and fixed the pump to
working order in less than five minutes.

Now, if only I could figure out what to do with the rest of the crap.

You know if you throw out hardware of any kind today you'll need it
tomorrow. It's a law of nature.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old August 7th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article om,
"Bob" writes:

You know if you throw out hardware of any kind today you'll need it
tomorrow. It's a law of nature.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much. If your SO persuades you to get rid of it,
that clinches the deal. And then you get criticised for
not having it at hand after you've tossed it. Shades of
The Bickersons. Life seems to consist of a lot of
shoulder-shrugging, and taking it on the chin.
But it's still good. I guess. Tell ya what, tho' --
loving women comes with a price. I'm willing to pay it.
But then, I'm not always rational.

cheers,
Tom