RANS V2 Formula

Old December 17th 03, 04:05 PM
Jack Davis

Default RANS V2 Formula

Now that RANS is finally shipping the V2-F, does anyone have enough time on
one to comment? I intend to buy one but have yet to even see one....I'd be
buying on reputation of the RANS company and experience with other RANS
models. Thanks....
Jack

Old December 17th 03, 06:18 PM
Rick Steele

"Jack Davis" wrote:
Now that RANS is finally shipping the V2-F, does anyone have enough time

on
one to comment? I intend to buy one but have yet to even see one....I'd

be
buying on reputation of the RANS company and experience with other RANS
models. Thanks....

Jack, do you live anywhere near Sacramento? You could try prying me off
mine. I'm enjoying my new V2 Formula XL demo bike very much. Somehow even
the seat bottom agrees with my bottom, but that could be due to my expanding
girth. It's definately faster than the steel V2's I've ridden and sold, but
I do wish it came with a long cage RD and a wider ratio cassette. That's
one area I will be addressing soon since I ride in the Sierra foothills..
The welds and finish are superb!

Regards
Rick Steele

Gold Country Cyclery
3081 Alhambra Dr. Suite 103
Cameron Park, CA 95682
Ph: (530) 676-3305
Fax: (530) 672-0501
Email:
Website:
http://www.tandems-recumbents.com

Old December 17th 03, 07:45 PM
Steve Christensen

In article , Rick Steele says...

"Jack Davis" wrote:
[...]

Rick,

A couple of questions. First, how would you characterize the ride? I'd be
worried about the aluminum frame feeling a bit harsh.

And second, any chance of getting a true weigth on your bike?

Steve Christensen

Old December 17th 03, 08:54 PM
Jack Davis

Rick,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that narrow gear range too. If
you have the XL, how tall are you? I would like to avoid the extra
wheelbase....it's long enough as it is.

I went thru Sacramento on an Amtrak train headed for SF a couple of years
ago and the ride over the Sierras was beautiful, but I live in Ohio....(The
Heart of the Rust-Belt)....about 2 thousand miles away.

Maybe I'll be able to find one in Columbus, or Cincinnati???

Ride on,

Jack

Old December 17th 03, 09:40 PM
Rick Steele

"Steve Christensen" wrote

[snip}

A couple of questions. First, how would you characterize the ride? I'd

be
worried about the aluminum frame feeling a bit harsh.

I was very surprised by the ride quality despite the fact that I'm riding on
the CF seat base with thin foam covering, and narrow section Stelvio tires.
Rides very smooth with my 6'2" / 185lb body.

And second, any chance of getting a true weigth on your bike?

I just weighed my Formula XL with standard Velocity wheels at 28 lbs, no
pedals, cages, etc.. Also, I swapped the medium riser 0032 with the longer
0033 for improved reach. I'm sure the weight given by RANS is for the
standard frame. Swapping for the new RANS Zephyr seat should drop some more
weight. Haven't yet weighed the stock Formula seat yet..

Old December 18th 03, 07:57 AM
PaPa

Rick Steele wrote:
"Steve Christensen" wrote
[snip}
[...]

(530) 672-0501 Email: Website: http://www.tandems-recumbents.com/http://www.tandems-
recumbents.com

Sorry Rick, Although i certainly respect your opinion, I think your pos
is slightly emblished.... possibily deceptive. If you've riden bot
steel and aluminum V2's, you already know what's comin'

The following quote (and complete Formula article)....

"The first thing you will notice is the stiffness of the frame, it i
like a taught bow ready to release the power. That is good overall sinc
it nets exciting performance, but expect it to be a harsher ride.

Can be found he http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRFormula.ht

-

Old December 18th 03, 05:18 PM
john riley

PaPa wrote in message er.com...
Rick Steele wrote:
"Steve Christensen" wrote
[snip}
[...]

Sorry Rick, Although i certainly respect your opinion, I think your post
is slightly emblished.... possibily deceptive. If you've riden both
steel and aluminum V2's, you already know what's comin'.

The following quote (and complete Formula article)....:

"The first thing you will notice is the stiffness of the frame, it is
like a taught bow ready to release the power. That is good overall since
it nets exciting performance, but expect it to be a harsher ride."

Can be found he http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRFormula.htm

Yeah, but note that he is a lot bigger than Randy Schlitter and that he is on an XL.
Old December 18th 03, 10:40 PM
Rick Steele

"PaPa" wrote:

And I wrote:
I was very surprised by the ride quality despite the fact that I'm
riding on the CF seat base with thin foam covering, and narrow section
Stelvio tires. Rides very smooth with my 6'2" / 185lb body.

[snip]

Sorry Rick, Although i certainly respect your opinion, I think your post
is slightly emblished.... possibily deceptive. If you've riden both
steel and aluminum V2's, you already know what's comin'.

The following quote (and complete Formula article)....:

"The first thing you will notice is the stiffness of the frame, it is
like a taught bow ready to release the power. That is good overall since
it nets exciting performance, but expect it to be a harsher ride."

I gave my own opinion on ride quality, and certainly I should have added
YMMV.. Sorry about that. Strangely, the Formula XL I'm riding doesn't feel
all that "harsh" to me and this is without the thick foam seat bottom the
steel V2's come with. I was surprised! In anycase, I don't believe anyone
should buy one or any other recumbent unless they have had a chance to test
ride and find out for themself. We're a test ride center for recumbent and
tandem bike builders, and strongly believe that test riding is very
important in making a the decision on which bike to purchase or order..

Old December 19th 03, 03:45 AM
PaPa

John Riley wrote:
PaPa wrote in message
er.com...
Yeah, but note that he is a lot bigger than Randy Schlitter and that he
is on an XL.

Speaking aluminum - If the rider's weight falls within the "average"
designed rider weight (say +/- 30 pounds), then ride quality will NOT
noticeably change. Why?.... because the designer's knowledge of
aluminum's fatigue weakness won't permit significant flexing in a
properly designed ALUMINUM frame.

I'd hazard a guess that the Formula V2 frame would remain unpleasantly
rigid somewhat beyond its designed static load. Why?... because the
liability risks demand it.

With all due respect John, "Rides very smooth" is clearly a misleading
Formula V2 description.

Old December 19th 03, 03:51 AM
Kelly

"Jack Davis" wrote in message igy.com...
Rick,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that narrow gear range too.

Lower gearing for the V2 will perhaps require some mods to the idler
pulley set up. We had a standard frame V2 Formula in our shop for a
very short period of time and thus I did not have time to evaluate
just what will be necessary to gear it lower but it will require
something besides a lower small ring and lower range cassette. When a
26 tooth small ring is placed on the crank set the chain rubs the
bottom of the brake arm. The new owner was in a hurry to take
delivery so my research was cut short. If you look closely at the V2
chain line over the idler pulley you will note the return chain line
is on the bottom of the idler pulley and on the Formula the chain line
is on top. Might be as simple as reversing the location of the idler
pulley to the bottom hole and the chain keeper to the top. I don't
know because I ran out of time while setting the bike up with the new
owner dancing around in the showroom. Kelly