Tour Photos

Old December 25th 03, 10:24 PM
Scott

Default Tour Photos

Hi, Everyone and Merry Christmas!

I haven't got a narrative written up yet, but y'all can view the
photos of my recently completed Death Valley tour. Basically, I
started at Baker, CA, off I15, rode north through Shoshone and into
the southern entrance to Death Valley. I rode n. and up and over
Townes Pass (grunt! grunt!) to a rest day at Panamint Springs (day 6).
Then, in two days of riding, I pedaled to my finish at Red Rocks
State Park, CA., where my wife picked me up. This was a completion of
a tour we attempted last year on our GTT. It was a fabulous,
strenuous trip: 305 miles and 16,500 ft. of climbing. I wouldn't
hesitate to do it again. I highly recommend Death Valley as an "off
season" cycling destination. Except for Christmas and New Years, the
traffic is very light, and one can do tours or day trips from a
central camp at Furnace Creek. (Note: Use Texas Springs at Furnace
Creek--no generators allowed! Very quiet. Good Views.) Anyway, more
details to follow.

Cheers,

Scott

The link: http://community.webshots.com/user/getbent100

If you are asked for a password, use "getbent".
Old December 26th 03, 08:22 PM
Franny Yerkes

Scott:

Great photos! Could you tell us which underseat panniers you used and
where you got the yellow lycra tailfairing? It gives terrific
visibility yet doesn't hinder getting on and off the bike. What was
the total weight of your luggage? What gearing did you use for that
load?

Franny Yerkes

Old December 26th 03, 10:55 PM
Gary Mc

Scott,

Nice photos as always. Can I assume that the Tour Easy rides a bit
faster than the GTT? How would you compare climbing with each?

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

Old December 26th 03, 11:28 PM
Larry Varney

Franny Yerkes wrote:

Scott:

Great photos! Could you tell us which underseat panniers you used and
where you got the yellow lycra tailfairing? It gives terrific
visibility yet doesn't hinder getting on and off the bike. What was
the total weight of your luggage? What gearing did you use for that
load?

Franny Yerkes

(Scott) wrote in message
. com...

I haven't got a narrative written up yet, but y'all can view the
photos of my recently completed Death Valley tour......
The link:
http://community.webshots.com/user/getbent100

If you are asked for a password, use "getbent".

They look like items available from the Easy Riders Recumbent Club. I
happen to have a smaller version of the underseat panniers, as well as
a TailSok of a similar color for my Tour Easy. Both are great products,
and the TailSok does a very good job of increasing the performance, and
without the hassle of a full sock.
Check out:
http://www.geocities.com/e_r_r_c/index2.html

Old December 27th 03, 03:08 PM
Scott

Thanks for the comments everyone. Larry is right. ERRC has the
goodies: an underseat rack and the waterproof Lloongg panniers--really
fantastic gear. They did not change the handling of the bike at all.

In general, I found the bike to climb 2--3 mph faster than the GTT
though sometimes not so much. As a solo rider, I had to carry
everything. Overall speeds for a given day were a good deal faster.
My best day, which still had over 2,000ft. of climbing, I was able to
AVERAGE 14 mph. Many times I was cruising in the 17--18 mph. range.

I'll post a full narrative w/technical points later in the month.

Cheers,

Scott

Old December 29th 03, 01:29 PM
Dave Larrington

Jealous... I was there briefly in late September, and now have a picture of
Zabriskie Point as my wallpaper.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/