cycleops fluid2 trainer--assembly question

Old November 19th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cycleops fluid2 trainer--assembly question

I just got my a brand new Fluid2 trainer from modernbike.com ($215 +
$4.99 shipping--great deal!) and I can't seem to assemble it correctly.

It should be easy, but here's the problem (i'm using the part names as
they appear in the owner's manual):

The Resistance Unit bottom is attached to the frame by the carriage
bolt & Nut. Check.

The Resistance Unit Adjustment Knob is supposed to attach to the frame
by the L-Bolt, which should allow the roller to move forward and
backward to press against the rear wheel. The problem I'm having is the
L-Bolt only seems to go about 1/2 inch into the Resistance Unit
Adjustment Knob before I can't turn the knob anymore.

That's causing me to not be able to bring the roller against the tire.
The RU can pivot and reach the tire, but the L-Bolt is too long.
There's about a 2-inch gap.

One solution would be to cut and shorten the threaded side of the
L-Bolt--it's currently about 2 inches. But I can't imagine that would
be a requirement for assembly. Is everyone else's L-Bolt 2" long on the
threaded side? Am I missing something?

Help! Thanks a lot.

Ken

Old November 20th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ken wrote:
[...]

The L-bolt on my Cyclops Fluid2 (new last year) is about 2" long, so it
sounds like you've got the right length.

Am I missing something?

The knob on mine doesn't stop -- it keeps on threading onto the L-bolt
to bring the roller to the tire. Maybe theres something stopping the
knob on yours? Is there some plastic molded over the threaded hole or
something? Good luck!

Help! Thanks a lot.

Ken

Old November 20th 05, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thank you for the reply.

My L-bolt screws only about 4 threads (prob 1/4 inch) into the silver
cylinder that attaches to the knob. So it sounds like I've got either a
defective (too large) L-bolt or a defective (too small) cylinder. Does
that sound right? I'll call the manufacturer & bike shop Monday to
confirm and see about getting a replacement bolt and cylinder.

Frustrating, but at least it was 55 and sunny today so I could go for a
ride outside.

Old November 21st 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yes, you clearly have a problem. Mine screws in until only about 8
threads are exposed. The good news is that CycleOps has great service.

Matt.

Old November 22nd 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks, Matt. Spoke with the dealer today. They were very nice, said
essentially the same thing as you, and I'm expecting a new Resistance
Unit in the mail in a few days.

quick plug forJim at modernbikes.com. Super service, real nice.

Will give final update once the part comes in.

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Trainer Question buck General 3 February 18th 04 06:59 PM
Trainer durability question David Kerber Techniques 17 December 27th 03 07:11 PM
Question for the anti-helmet guys Harris Techniques 37 October 7th 03 04:40 PM
Shimano Nexus internal hub assembly question . . . General 0 July 26th 03 11:26 PM