Hazards of horse manure?

Old November 13th 05, 10:20 PM

Default Hazards of horse manure?

Hi all,

The weather has turned sloppy and I find myself riding on bike paths
and trails that have at times large quantitlies of horse manure on
them. Mixed in with a primordial soup of rotten leaves, dead worms,
road grime, and other sundries. Since it has been raining for weeks now
there is spray everywhere and some of this manure ends up on my water
bottle and presumably in my mouth.

How much effort should I put into not consuming trace amounts of
manure? What are the potential infections, etc one risks in such a
situation? I ask this becuse I have been quite ill for 3 days now and
have not eaten anything that was not also eaten by my family, nor have
I been anywhere they have not been, besides on wet sloppy rides, and
they are fine.

Thanks!

Joseph

Old November 13th 05, 10:44 PM
Pat

: How much effort should I put into not consuming trace amounts of
: manure? What are the potential infections, etc one risks in such a
: situation? I ask this becuse I have been quite ill for 3 days now and
: have not eaten anything that was not also eaten by my family, nor have
: I been anywhere they have not been, besides on wet sloppy rides, and
: they are fine.
:
: Thanks!
:
: Joseph

let me get this straight: you are ill and you ask readers of a newsgroup?
Tell this to your doctor!

Pat in TX
:

Old November 13th 05, 10:46 PM
Callistus Valerius

some of this manure ends up on my water
bottle and presumably in my mouth.

Jesus! wrong newsgroup. Maybe try some health newsgroup, or rec.eat.****
maybe?

Old November 13th 05, 11:31 PM
tcmedara

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

The weather has turned sloppy and I find myself riding on bike paths
and trails that have at times large quantitlies of horse manure on
them. Mixed in with a primordial soup of rotten leaves, dead worms,
road grime, and other sundries. Since it has been raining for weeks now
there is spray everywhere and some of this manure ends up on my water
bottle and presumably in my mouth.

How much effort should I put into not consuming trace amounts of
manure? What are the potential infections, etc one risks in such a
situation? I ask this becuse I have been quite ill for 3 days now and
have not eaten anything that was not also eaten by my family, nor have
I been anywhere they have not been, besides on wet sloppy rides, and
they are fine.

Thanks!

Joseph

Dude, spring for a Camelbak. All the water and none of the manure. Can't
beat that.

Tom

Old November 14th 05, 12:03 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Pat" wrote: let me get this straight: you are ill and you ask readers of a
newsgroup? Tell this to your doctor!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is a valid question to ask here. We share the common
experience of riding and drinking from water bottles, so it is plausible
that there would be good information available.

I have my water bottle mounted on the handlebar, mainly because I like to be
able to get it without reaching or looking down. It that position it does
not get hit by spray from below. Whether horse manure is what made you sick
is impossible to guess. But there are also dogs, deer, birds, rabbits,
squirrels (forgive me 666.org), and who-knows what other unfriendly
materials on the trail.

Old November 14th 05, 12:16 AM
Bill Sornson

Callistus Valerius wrote:
{some poor ******* wrote:}

some of this manure ends up on my water
bottle and presumably in my mouth.

Jesus! wrong newsgroup. Maybe try some health newsgroup, or
rec.eat.**** maybe?

Jesus forgives you for making coffee come out my nose.

I'm still working on it.

Bill "easily amused, apparently" S.

Old November 14th 05, 12:25 AM
Paul Cassel

wrote:
Hi all,

The weather has turned sloppy and I find myself riding on bike paths
and trails that have at times large quantitlies of horse manure on
them. Mixed in with a primordial soup of rotten leaves, dead worms,
road grime, and other sundries. Since it has been raining for weeks now
there is spray everywhere and some of this manure ends up on my water
bottle and presumably in my mouth.

How much effort should I put into not consuming trace amounts of
manure? What are the potential infections, etc one risks in such a
situation? I ask this becuse I have been quite ill for 3 days now and
have not eaten anything that was not also eaten by my family, nor have
I been anywhere they have not been, besides on wet sloppy rides, and
they are fine.

There are many diseases transmitted from animals to humans. West Nile,
Lyme, and Anthrax are all examples of diseases common to horses and
humans. I can't say if fecal matter is a vector for these, however. Were
it me, I'd make a great effort not to ingest horse fecal matter. Unlike
others here, I think your concerns valid.

OTOH, I am now coming out of a very serious respiratory infection. I too
ate the same stuff as my daughter yet she's ok. Just because you are ill
does not mean you got it from horses.

Many of the most deadly human diseases come from 'our' domestic animals.
There is a lot more here, but way off topic.

-paul
Old November 14th 05, 01:17 AM
Pat

: There are many diseases transmitted from animals to humans. West Nile,
: Lyme, and Anthrax are all examples of diseases common to horses and
: humans. I can't say if fecal matter is a vector for these, however. Were
: it me, I'd make a great effort not to ingest horse fecal matter. Unlike
: others here, I think your concerns valid.

I didn't say his concerns weren't valid; I said he should tell this stuff to
his doctor. We can't diagnose his illness and we can't cure him. Another
little bug he could have? Giardia lamblia. And all his posting to newsgroups
isn't going to get rid of that one!

Pat in TX

Old November 14th 05, 01:22 AM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Sea rch
would not be any worse than drinking contaminated water from a stream.