Installation of Rear center pull brake ???

Old November 14th 05, 01:56 AM
steven w

Default Installation of Rear center pull brake ???

Hi,

I am installing some old diacomp center pull brakes on my single speed.
I am having problems
with the rear brake. I am running the cable and cable housing to the
rear brake cable hanger
but there seems to be a lot of friction as the cable rubs the hanger.
Is there a way to
install the cable without the rub on the cable hanger?

Thanks,

Steven
Old November 14th 05, 04:15 AM
jim beam

steven w wrote:
Hi,

I am installing some old diacomp center pull brakes on my single speed.
I am having problems
with the rear brake. I am running the cable and cable housing to the
rear brake cable hanger
but there seems to be a lot of friction as the cable rubs the hanger. Is
there a way to
install the cable without the rub on the cable hanger?

Thanks,

Steven

sounds like you could need a little more care to cut the cable outer off
square. if you have a bench grinder, that's the best solution. once
square, the cable usually runs fine.

Old November 14th 05, 01:37 PM
LF

I hope you are using new cables, especially a modern lined outer
cable.
Regards,
Larry

Old November 14th 05, 09:32 PM
41

steven w wrote:
Hi,

I am installing some old diacomp center pull brakes on my single speed.
I am having problems
with the rear brake. I am running the cable and cable housing to the
rear brake cable hanger
but there seems to be a lot of friction as the cable rubs the hanger.
Is there a way to
install the cable without the rub on the cable hanger?

Do you have the angle right? In other words, is your hanger the kind
that attaches to the seatpost clamp bolt? Tighten it at the right angle
to avoid rub. Or, if the hanger is brazed on and in the wrong position,
use the kind that attaches to the clamp bolt.

Old November 14th 05, 11:37 PM

right-tighten the clamp tight using a wrench on nut side and vise grips
on the bolt.
as the nut gets down to TIGHT-eyeball the cable into housing center,
centering cable bu truning the vise grips.
always untighten using bolt head-nut will turn shaft off bolthead.
basically the housing may be wornout. there's top tech housing at the
LBS.

Old November 19th 05, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

steven w wrote:
Hi,

I am installing some old diacomp center pull brakes on my single speed.
I am having problems
with the rear brake. I am running the cable and cable housing to the
rear brake cable hanger
but there seems to be a lot of friction as the cable rubs the hanger. Is
there a way to
install the cable without the rub on the cable hanger?

1. Modern, lined housings

2. A ferule at the end

3. Make sure the housing is cut off square; ream out the cut ends

4. Have a wee bit of a loop going into the hanger so that the cable end
points straight down toward the brake
Old November 20th 05, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Excessive friction, especially at the point you mention is usually
caused by the housing (the noodle like tube the cable runs through)
meeting the hanger at too sharp an angle.

Either cut the housing shorther, or if it runs full length to the brake
lever, you can slide it in that direction so that it enters the hanger
at as close to straight as possible.

If that doesn't solve the problem, there may be a burr on the end where
it was cut. If so, filing the end smooth will solve this.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner