visibility

Old June 30th 06, 02:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default visibility

Visibility.

Not on the bike, off the bike.

Part of the circle of care idea, how to get people to realise that
someone they know is a cyclist?

People see me wheeling the bent into the break room where it lives, so
that's helpful, but once I've changed out of cycling kit most people
wouldn't know I am a rider.

Maybe what's needed is some item - a badge, a wrist band - that
cyclist are encouraged to wear off the bike. And what it is gets
viral marketed into everywhere possible. So gradually people see the
item and process it as "cyclist".

Not just commuting cyclists, but everyone who rides a bicycle.

What would be a sensible item that people who aren't committed
activists would wear? How could it be made cheaply enough? How could
the idea of what it represents be got into the minds of everyone,
riders and non-riders?

Zebee
Old June 30th 06, 03:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

um, shaved legs for the guys, and wearing Rudy Projects on your head if
you're a girl?
That's now it works here anyway :-)

Old June 30th 06, 03:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
[...]

What about a chainring tattoo on the forehead

--
sinus

Old June 30th 06, 03:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Maybe what's needed is some item - a badge, a wrist band - that
cyclist are encouraged to wear off the bike. And what it is gets
viral marketed into everywhere possible. So gradually people see the
item and process it as "cyclist".

bitter

One of these. When they ask what it is, you can say that it has your
details so the police/ambulance know who to call when you're knocked
down by a hit and run driver.

http://www.roadid.com/default.asp

/bitter

--
..dt
Old June 30th 06, 03:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

sinus Wrote:
What about a chainring tattoo on the forehead

I had the exact same thought - spooky

--
Poiter

Old June 30th 06, 03:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Maybe what's needed is some item - a badge, a wrist band - that
cyclist are encouraged to wear off the bike. And what it is gets
viral marketed into everywhere possible. So gradually people see the
item and process it as "cyclist".

Not just commuting cyclists, but everyone who rides a bicycle.

What would be a sensible item that people who aren't committed
activists would wear? How could it be made cheaply enough? How could
the idea of what it represents be got into the minds of everyone,
riders and non-riders?

I deliberately leave my helmet on the desk at work just n case someone
sees it and decides to find out more about commuting or cycling in
general. Of course you could wear it around the office but then you
would just get people asking you what being a nutcase is like.

DaveB
Old June 30th 06, 03:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Gemma_k wrote:

Maybe what's needed is some item - a badge, a wrist band - that
cyclist are encouraged to wear off the bike.

I prefer the old ankle band, it was called a bike clip {:-).
Always brought a smaile to people faces as they work out how to
cryptically tell you. And much less embarrassing a pickup technique than
leaving your fly open.

Old June 30th 06, 03:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

sinus wrote:
Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
[...]

how about just the chainring?

Old June 30th 06, 03:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-06-30, DaveB wrote:
I deliberately leave my helmet on the desk at work just n case someone
sees it and decides to find out more about commuting or cycling in
general. Of course you could wear it around the office but then you
would just get people asking you what being a nutcase is like.

Hey, I get asked that even *without* wearing a helmet around the office
.... maybe if I wore one, the questions would stop?

Old June 30th 06, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Visibility.

Not on the bike, off the bike.

Part of the circle of care idea, how to get people to realise that
someone they know is a cyclist?

People see me wheeling the bent into the break room where it lives, so
that's helpful, but once I've changed out of cycling kit most people
wouldn't know I am a rider.

I wear a LAF bracelet most of the time (before they were trendy, and
now they're not trendy anymore ). Sometimes punters ask what it's
about. But, riding places unexpected (like to visit friends, parties
and so on) and talking about where you rode to on the w'end is pretty
good, I think.

Maybe what's needed is some item - a badge, a wrist band - that
cyclist are encouraged to wear off the bike. And what it is gets
viral marketed into everywhere possible. So gradually people see the
item and process it as "cyclist".

Not just commuting cyclists, but everyone who rides a bicycle.

What would be a sensible item that people who aren't committed
activists would wear? How could it be made cheaply enough? How could
the idea of what it represents be got into the minds of everyone,
riders and non-riders?

Plastic bracelets are pretty cheap. I have NFI as to how to get some
made, but it can't be that hard, the livewrong ones cropped up pretty
quickly after the livestrong ones.

Visibility Enhancement Jim Recumbent Biking 41 December 10th 04 12:03 AM
Best helmet for visibility? (color on underside of rear) Jeff Potter General 17 November 9th 04 04:41 PM
leeds afety high visibility clothing mike UK 1 December 11th 03 11:44 AM
visibility wle Techniques 2 December 9th 03 06:59 PM
know where i can get a visibility flag? George Stuteville Recumbent Biking 13 October 13th 03 10:45 PM