know where i can get a visibility flag?

Old October 6th 03, 09:22 PM
George Stuteville

Default know where i can get a visibility flag?

hi all,

after years of curiosity, i was finally able to purchase a bent -- a
bike-e ct.

ok, ok, i know the company is out of business and the mention of
bike-e seems to elicit all types of reactions, but that aside, i do
have a concern about safety because i intend to use this bike along
with my other "beater" for commutes.

would any of you more experienced recumbent folks recommend visibility
flags? if so, where would i get one?

do any of you know a cheap way i can swap out the stock handlebar with
something that will allow me to use different handlebars?

thanks so much...
Old October 6th 03, 09:56 PM
TC Hazzard

"George Stuteville" wrote in message
om...
hi all,

after years of curiosity, i was finally able to purchase a bent -- a
bike-e ct.

ok, ok, i know the company is out of business and the mention of
bike-e seems to elicit all types of reactions, but that aside, i do
have a concern about safety because i intend to use this bike along
with my other "beater" for commutes.

would any of you more experienced recumbent folks recommend visibility
flags? if so, where would i get one?

One place is:

http://www.velomobiles.net/

Old October 6th 03, 11:56 PM
Steve Fox

Got mine at a bike shop that caters to kids, as well as serious riders.
They formerly sold the Bike-E, so maybe look for that kind of store.

Steve

--
Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA

\ _____,%)
(*)-'------------(*)

Old October 7th 03, 04:01 AM
bentcruiser

I like the Spinsocks from http://www.catchthewind.com

--
Derek,
Burley Canto

Old October 7th 03, 12:30 PM
Ben

You can get a flag directly from Burley or from most Burley dealers:

http://burley.com/products/burley-ge...urley+Flag&i=5

Adventure Cycling carries safety triangles and other safety gear:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/stor...fm?Category=26

Cheers! Ben

Burley Canto

Old October 7th 03, 05:39 PM
Ken Kobayashi

On 6 Oct 2003 13:22:55 -0700, (George Stuteville)
wrote:

would any of you more experienced recumbent folks recommend visibility
flags? if so, where would i get one?

Here's one:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...sory=983911097

IMHO the BikeE is tall enough that you don't really need a flag.
Wouldn't hurt though.

do any of you know a cheap way i can swap out the stock handlebar with
something that will allow me to use different handlebars?

Not exactly sure, but does this look like what you need?
http://www.calhouncycle.com/evo.html
About halfway down the page there's a stem for the BikeE.

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/
Old October 7th 03, 05:57 PM
TC Hazzard

The Flash Flags are manufactured by Bike Up Canada. You can purchase these
and other reflective safety products directly from them at:

http://www.flashback.ca/

Old October 7th 03, 06:04 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Ken Kobayashi" wrote

IMHO the BikeE is tall enough that you don't really need a flag.
Wouldn't hurt though.

That's what I thought, too.

Interesting though, for recumbent bikes, those low enough to
perhaps benefit most from a visibility flag are often ridden by
those perhaps least likely to want the additional drag. %^)

The same may not apply as well for low trikes.

A strobe light on a pole could be more aerodynamic
than a spinner or a flag.

Jon Meinecke

Old October 8th 03, 09:58 PM
George Stuteville

hi all,

thanks so much...good group, here. my new (used) bent is a ton a
fun...very different perspective.

but one thing i'd like to debunk: climbing.

i put my bike-e to the test on a couple of medium grade hills in the
dc area. i climbed them just as i do on my other bikes -- slowly, but
surely. i don't foresee a problem as long as i can hit the gears at
the right time and spin up 'em.

again,
thanks for your responses
Old October 8th 03, 10:34 PM
Mark van Gorkom

Interesting though, for recumbent bikes, those low enough to
perhaps benefit most from a visibility flag are often ridden by
those perhaps least likely to want the additional drag. %^)

True enough

A strobe light on a pole could be more aerodynamic than a spinner or a flag.

A headlight does wonders too, esp. on a lowracer. Drivers see my 3-LED
headlight way before they see my 26-LED bike light. I've clipped a red
"safety" light to the rear of the headlight, so now I have two rear
lights (and reflective stuff everywhere). I feel safer in the dark
than during the day... Waering bright headgear helps; and doing
sit-ups when aproaching dangerous intersections (one benefit of
commuting; you get to know where yuo're likely to be ambushed).

Mark van Gorkom.