drill/tap in frames

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 13th 18, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default drill/tap in frames

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 16:41:16 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:

And the mid-bottom part of the down tube?
The screws are interchangeable in size
and length.

Well that depends. Probably on the cost and
class of the bike. The down tube is pretty
thin on most better class road bikes.
Say Perhaps .6 - .7 mm in wall thickness.
Depending on whether it is butted, non
butted, etc,

These are not road bikes but ordinary standard
steel frames for commuting, shopping, and
everyday transport, say from the 80s.

Sorry but road bike data is all I have :-)

Yesterday BTW I saw a second bike with the
exact same configuration. The bracket is
bent so it is round along the tube surface,
but what holds it in its place seems to be
a single M5 screw with a flat PZ2 head.

Given that all the pedaling torque passes
through the bottom bracket I'd doubt if a new
bike would use a single screw to hold the BB
onto the frame tubes.

What is held are two stays that then hold
the chainguard.

--

Cheers,

John B.

drill drill drill [email protected] Techniques 4 June 19th 17 01:22 AM
OT Torx drill bit Judith[_4_] UK 56 March 13th 12 09:25 AM
Bosch GSB 14.4 2-Li 14.4V Li-Ion Combi Drill [email protected] UK 2 May 19th 11 11:47 PM
How to drill a nightrider 36 rim? flyer Unicycling 33 November 5th 08 04:16 PM
Can I safely drill through Chromoplastic? Yonatan Mazuz Techniques 9 January 9th 06 01:12 AM