Sheldon Brown's 2007 Interbike Report

Old September 30th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Sheldon Brown

Default Sheldon Brown's 2007 Interbike Report

I'm back and have written up some of what I saw at Interbike.

Check it out at http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2007

Sheldon "Gambling Is Not Among My Vices" Brown
| Conscience is the inner voice which warns us |
| that someone might be looking. |
| --H.L. Mencken |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com
Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
http://sheldonbrown.com

Old September 30th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
Sheldon Brown wrote:

I'm back and have written up some of what I saw at Interbike.

Check it out at http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2007

Your report was vastly more interesting than the stuff I've seen on
Velonews or Cyclingnews (and I say that as a fan of James Huang's tech
reports). You found whole categories of stuff they didn't notice.

That said, The Claw appears to be an mostly ridiculous complication of a
ceiling-mounted hook, which he had the chutzpah to have present for
comparison. It looked like he had more trouble with The Claw than he did
with the hook, though I see his point about heavy bikes or high mounts.
Maybe this is a red-letter day for tandemists.

The picture of the Norco commuter is quite tasty, and the first-hand
account of the NuVinci CVT hub is intriguing. I can't wait to hear the
ride report from the Greenspeed. The Civia frame, with all those
molded-in guides and easy provision for hub or derailer setups, looks
like it would be a sweet commuter. But the Sora upgrade! That is big
news. 9-speed, still adjustable reach, plus gear indicator.

My personal theory is that the Great Missing Bicycle for sports use is a
cyclocross bike based around an Alfine 8-speed hub. My reasoning is that
those bikes are desperately vulnerable to mud-clogged transmissions, and
a lot of pros already run a single front ring.

Sheldon "Gambling Is Not Among My Vices" Brown

Old September 30th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Sheldon Brown wrote:
I'm back and have written up some of what I saw at Interbike.

Check it out at http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2007

Great report. I missed this year's show unfortunately. It's the only
reason I ever go to Las Vegas now that Comdex is history. I liked it
better when Interbike was in Anaheim.

I'm really glad that the Piccolo is back. Now if only Burley can bring
back the 2006 model d'Lite with the frame around the wheels.
Old September 30th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Sheldon Brown

Ryan Cousineau a écrit:

My personal theory is that the Great Missing Bicycle for sports use is a
cyclocross bike based around an Alfine 8-speed hub. My reasoning is that
those bikes are desperately vulnerable to mud-clogged transmissions, and
a lot of pros already run a single front ring.

Great minds...See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianchi-sanjos8

Sheldon "Been There, Done That, Sold Lots" Brown
| Bicycling isn't supposed to hurt! See: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html |

Old September 30th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

The Civia frame, with all those
molded-in guides and easy provision for hub or derailer setups, looks
like it would be a sweet commuter.

It's a nice-looking frame, but boy does it carry a heavy tariff for
those neat cable guides. $1900 for the single speed complete bike!
I'm sure some of the seemingly unnecessary expense is for the Alfine
parts, but wow.

Cycle commuters are pragmatic folk. It's one thing to sell a $2000-
$3000 bike to a fashion-seeking tool for use as a plaything, but a
transportational bike is a value-driven purchase. I think that Surly
serves the _high_ end of that market, but QBP evidently thinks it's
the low end. I wish them luck, but I predict an indifferent market
reception.

Chalo

Old October 1st 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
vey

Sheldon Brown wrote:
I'm back and have written up some of what I saw at Interbike.

The Unior Tools look interesting. Check out this Pocket spoke and
freewheel remover wrench in one. I'm a sucker for multi-tasking tools.
http://www.uniortools.com/cgi-bin/cm...hg3UamMgI pJX
-or- http://tinyurl.com/2etboh
Old October 1st 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Luke

In article .com,
Sheldon Brown wrote:

I'm back and have written up some of what I saw at Interbike.

Check it out at http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2007

Sheldon "Gambling Is Not Among My Vices" Brown

A TV in the crapper! Did it use the same remote as the drapes?
Old October 1st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
blisterlester

Why is it the more you pay for a hotel room, the more likely you will
need to pay for internet and coffee? Seems backwards.
Old October 1st 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

On Sep 30, 3:47 pm, Chalo wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

The Civia frame, with all those
molded-in guides and easy provision for hub or derailer setups, looks
like it would be a sweet commuter.

It's a nice-looking frame, but boy does it carry a heavy tariff for
those neat cable guides. $1900 for the single speed complete bike!
I'm sure some of the seemingly unnecessary expense is for the Alfine
parts, but wow.

Cycle commuters are pragmatic folk. It's one thing to sell a $2000-
$3000 bike to a fashion-seeking tool for use as a plaything, but a
transportational bike is a value-driven purchase. I think that Surly
serves the _high_ end of that market, but QBP evidently thinks it's
the low end. I wish them luck, but I predict an indifferent market
reception.

I looked at the Civia web-page and thought the bike was butt ugly --
at least in that turd brown color. I suppose a swanky single-speed
commuter might appeal to the same set who bought the Merlin Newsboy
(whoever they may be), but the Civia is not nearly swanky enough IMO.
If it is trying to appeal to real commuters, forget it. Personally, I
have never needed a super-special commuting bike. A good solid bike
with right-sized tires, fenders, lights and a good can of spray lube
has always been enough. -- Jay Beattie.

Old October 1st 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
vey

Jay Beattie wrote:

If it is trying to appeal to real commuters, forget it. Personally, I
have never needed r-a supespecial commuting bike. A good solid bike
with right-sized tires, fenders, lights and a good can of spray lube
has always been enough. -- Jay Beattie.

So you complain about the color? I can understand complaining about a
lot of other things, but if all you need is, "A good solid bike" then
bitching about it being "butt ugly" and "turd brown" doesn't make much
sense to a bystander.