recommend a pedal for a clipless noob

Old May 10th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default recommend a pedal for a clipless noob

Hi all,

I'm thinking about making the leap to clipless (I've got some fresh rat
trap scars on the back of my leg, because I don't have either good
pedals or good shoes at the moment) but am not sure what I should try first.

Most people are telling me to go SPD, but the guy at the LBS closest to
my house tells me I really want Looks for more float (makes sense.) I
don't think he's trying to make a sale because he's got a bucket full of
used pedals of both types, and he doesn't sell shoes at all. I was
hoping to be able to walk in whatever shoes I ended up getting but that
seems to not be an option for either? Also, what about the new SPD-SL?

Also, any recommendations on shoes? I've just been wearing some old
soccer shoes on platforms and I can tell they're not stiff enough, my
toes feel a little weird after about 10 miles or so.

I'm not looking for "the best" just something that will work well,
although I don't mind spending money if there's a real value in spending
more.

Most of my riding will be on roads, FWIW...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 10th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim F

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

This is almost a helmet troll. I have always been a Look guy but if I had
it to do over again I'd have gone Speedplay.

--
JF

"Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the storm and
take it to the sea. "
- Jim Hunter

Old May 10th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Jim F wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

It's a serious question. I've tried to read and absorb all I can, but
it seems that there are SO many choices out there and no opportunities
to actually try all the different systems before purchasing.

nate

Old May 10th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

Jim F wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

This guy wants to walk. Unless you mean Frogs, Speedplay is not the best
choice if one wants to walk.
If you want tons of float then get Speedplays X series.
I think Nate wants SPD. His LBS is wrong IMO.

Lou; Speedplay X serie and SPD's
Old May 10th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bethw[_2_]

When I first started riding, I started out with Look, but I didn't
really adapt to them well even after adjusting and readjusting them,
and lots of riding inbetween. I then decided to try Speedplay, at the
suggestion of some friends who had them, and they were one of the best
purchases I've made. Easy to clip in and easy to clip out. They're
definitely worth the cost.
Beth

--
bethw
bethw's Profile: http://www.trianglecycling.com/member.php?userid=547

Old May 10th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article , Nate Nagel
wrote:

I'm not looking for "the best" just something that will work well,
although I don't mind spending money if there's a real value in spending
more.

Most of my riding will be on roads, FWIW...

I recommend SPDs. Unless your knees require ample float there's no need
to go the more expensive Speedplay (Frogs)/Look route.

Walkable SPD footwear is readily available in a variety of styles and
practicality: sandals; casual, pseudo-running shoes; stiff soled, deep
tread MTB shoes for competition; and winter boots. No shortage of
options. And Wellgo and Shimano make Half(SPD)/Half(Platform) pedals if
you'd like the option of cycling in non-cycling footwear.
Old May 10th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 10, 9:01 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

I'm thinking about making the leap to clipless (I've got some fresh rat
trap scars on the back of my leg, because I don't have either good
pedals or good shoes at the moment) but am not sure what I should try first.

Basic spd with your choice of basic walkable mtb shoe. I like the
Nashbar/Wellgo/Ritchey pedal that runs $35 or so. Stomp and go.

But as it's summer, if I was starting fresh, and was looking at riding
my bike everywhere, I'd probably just get some comfy Keen type sandals
and some big ole monster platforms with pins.

Nashwhore has their house platform special on sale for $25:
http://tinyurl.com/2l9csz

And look, they've got their clipless spd pedal on sale for $27, so you
can swap it out when fall rolls around:
http://tinyurl.com/2lmu4n

Get shoes locally so they fit.

Old May 10th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 10, 9:01*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
*
I don't think he's trying to make a sale because he's got a bucket full of
used pedals of both types, and he doesn't sell shoes at all. *I was
hoping to be able to walk in whatever shoes I ended up getting but that
seems to not be an option for either? *Also, what about the new SPD-SL?

Walking? Lots? IOW, shopping for groceries, or just store stops?

With SPD, you can walk in sandals g. Google here, Sheldon Brown
liked SPD sandals a lot. I've ridden fast, 30-mile group rides with a
couple of SPD sandal users, no problems even when hammering. From
there, the selection goes on out to other shoes, incl. Sidi
Dominators, which have a very nice strap and buckle arrangement.
Proper fit first, some people don't match up with Sidi but if they fit
they're very good. Not cheap, last a long time.

A bucket full of used pedals sounds like a good opportunity to borrow
a couple of brands at least for a good tryout, which will cost you
only the price of a new set of cleats if some used sets of those
aren't off in another bucket g.

Open to correction (please) but I think the SPD cleats you want are
the SH-51's. --D-y

Old May 10th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

yeah, there is that, but I don't have any shoes. My understanding is
that the type of clips, to some extent, determines the choice of shoe.
Or are there some shoes that are drilled for more than one type of clip?
If that is the case, and I can find a pair that fit, that might be
exactly what I do.

nate