Unwarranted Paselagasm: Now they get creepy

Old May 13th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Unwarranted Paselagasm: Now they get creepy

So I was quite pleased with the daily fixer's makeover a couple weeks
ago. Quite frankly--it's the most perfectly fun bike I've ever owned.
A tough fixed gear with new Nitto Rando bars that I can ride in the
drops all day and those lovely 32mm Paselas I got on a whim that just
seemed so silly wide when I inflated them, as I assumed they'd be
narrower--they turned out to be very interesting tires.

Never bothered buying gloves this spring. Don't need them with the fat
tires and cotton over old bar tape.

I'm faster than I ever was with 23mm tires, just flowing past the
crowd, like on a marshmallow track, in my comfy old timey flared
drops, grinning wide. Could be some of the local rough pavement. The
Paselas just eat it up like molten cheese over pepperoni, without a
fight. No skitter, just GO.

The rig gave me a surprise this evening when I climbed the hill up
from the treatment plant which is usually a fixed gear dismount
shoulder huffer, or on the "ute" it's deffo a granny +2, but I just
crept up it like I had some magical tire crampons.

The damn things alter gravity. Japan wins again.
Old May 13th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
The Troll Feeder

On May 12, 8:48 pm, landotter wrote:
So I was quite pleased with the daily fixer's makeover a couple weeks
ago. Quite frankly--it's the most perfectly fun bike I've ever owned.
A tough fixed gear with new Nitto Rando bars that I can ride in the
drops all day and those lovely 32mm Paselas I got on a whim that just
seemed so silly wide when I inflated them, as I assumed they'd be
narrower--they turned out to be very interesting tires.

Never bothered buying gloves this spring. Don't need them with the fat
tires and cotton over old bar tape.

I don't see the utility of gloves to be as compensation for lack of
bar tape or cushy tires. Smacking my bare head on the pavement is no
problem, but I do have a problem with ****ing my hands up.

Old May 13th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 12 May 2008 21:48:41 -0700 (PDT), landotter
wrote:

[...]

Dear LD,

I'm glad that you like your new tires, but something else is probably
involved in your impression of greatly improved hill-climbing.

Here's a side-by-side speed calculator that lets you change such
things as rolling resistance:
http://bikecalculator.com/veloMetricNum.html

The default RR is 0.0050, roughly what a pair of 23 mm tires produce.
Some drop to 0.0030, and others rise higher. The incredibly bad 0.0100
RR is included to give some perspective.

5% grade, speed in km/h for defaults with changes below
100 200 300
RR watts watts watts
0.0100 7.23 13.80 19.50
0.0050 7.85 14.82 20.71
0.0000 8.57 15.96 22.02 (0.72 to 1.31 km/h faster)

10% grade, speed in km/h for defaults with changes below
100 200 300
RR watts watts watts
0.0100 4.00 7.94 11.74
0.0050 4.19 8.30 12.25
0.0000 4.40 8.70 12.81 (0.21 to 0.56 km/h faster)

The next calculator uses different defaults (weight and frontal area
and so forth) and isn't set up for side-by-side comparisons, but it
can be used to check that the figures above are plausible:
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/simul/HPV_Simul.asp

10% grade, speed in km/h for defaults with changes below
100 200 300
RR watts watts watts
0.0100 4.184 8.326 12.388
0.0050 4.382 8.714 12.950
0.0000 4.600 9.138 13.563 (0.218 to 0.613 km/h faster)

Even magical tires that reduce the typical ~0.0050 RR for 23 mm tires
to no rolling resistance at all would produce only about half a mile
per hour speed difference on 5% to 10% grades with 100 to 300 watts.

Real tires would produce an even smaller change due to RR improvement,
though their new-toy effect can produce much more substantial gains.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 13th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

wrote:

So I was quite pleased with the daily fixer's makeover a couple weeks
ago. Quite frankly--it's the most perfectly fun bike I've ever owned.
A tough fixed gear with new Nitto Rando bars that I can ride in the
drops all day and those lovely 32mm Paselas I got on a whim that just
seemed so silly wide when I inflated them, as I assumed they'd be
narrower--they turned out to be very interesting tires.

Never bothered buying gloves this spring. Don't need them with the fat
tires and cotton over old bar tape.

I'm faster than I ever was with 23mm tires, just flowing past the
crowd, like on a marshmallow track, in my comfy old timey flared
drops, grinning wide. Could be some of the local rough pavement. The
Paselas just eat it up like molten cheese over pepperoni, without a
fight. No skitter, just GO.

lots of stuff snipped

Real tires would produce an even smaller change due to RR improvement,
though their new-toy effect can produce much more substantial gains.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl, all those data assume a smootish road. If the surface gets rough
the 'powerplant' looses efficiency fast and shaking all those muscles
abosrbs power. It's quite possible to find a surface where you have to
hang on for dear life on 120 psi 23's when you could just smoothly power
over it with a supple 30-ish tyre
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old May 13th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 13 May 2008 08:25:31 +0200, M-gineering

wrote:

[...]

Dear Marten,

Could be . . .

But I didn't get that impression from the two paragraphs about the
hill:

"The rig gave me a surprise this evening when I climbed the hill up
from the treatment plant which is usually a fixed gear dismount
shoulder huffer, or on the 'ute' it's deffo a granny +2, but I just
crept up it like I had some magical tire crampons."

"The damn things alter gravity. Japan wins again."

It's a "granny +2" hill on the "ute" and a "dismount shoulder huffer"
on the fixed gear, but replacing 23 mm tires with 38 mm tires turns
the hill into a "magical" climb for the fixed gear and seems to "alter
gravity"?

If that's the case, I look forward to some interesting details about
the hill.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 13th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 13, 5:48*am, landotter wrote:
[...]

Geez, if the Swedes are lashing out poetic hyperbole, I'd better start
looking over my shoulder. And the guy who writes the Pasela
advertising is disconsolately looking for a new job... I love your
report; it's what cycling should be about: discovery. magical moments,
getting your eyelids pinned back with surprise.

I imagine the imagination-less fogelites are already joylessly
preparing to snow you with a gazillion negative numbers "proving" you
didn't really enjoy your new bike and tires. Don't let them drain your
glee in cycling.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
Old May 13th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 13, 12:43 am, wrote:

[technical nonsense snip, there's a time and a place!]

SPIDEY BIKE!

Real tires would produce an even smaller change due to RR improvement,
though their new-toy effect can produce much more substantial gains.

Compared to the old rubber, they're far rounder, don't have a kevlar
belt, +2mm wider, so with some low speed balance issues I have due to
a funky blood vessel in the noggin, it's a definite feel thing. Feels
much more velcro-y now vs. tippy at stupid low speed now, especially
considering that I'm doing this obscene hill out of the saddle.

Forgot to mention that I got a new Pace Park Tools logo hat that
really goes nice with my summer jersey.

http://www.glorycycles.com/pasppatocap.html

Maybe the stripes are helping?

Old May 13th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 13 May 2008 07:08:35 -0700 (PDT), landotter
wrote:

On May 13, 12:43 am, wrote:

[technical nonsense snip, there's a time and a place!]

SPIDEY BIKE!

Real tires would produce an even smaller change due to RR improvement,
though their new-toy effect can produce much more substantial gains.

Compared to the old rubber, they're far rounder, don't have a kevlar
belt, +2mm wider, so with some low speed balance issues I have due to
a funky blood vessel in the noggin, it's a definite feel thing. Feels
much more velcro-y now vs. tippy at stupid low speed now, especially
considering that I'm doing this obscene hill out of the saddle.

Forgot to mention that I got a new Pace Park Tools logo hat that
really goes nice with my summer jersey.

http://www.glorycycles.com/pasppatocap.html

Maybe the stripes are helping?

Dear LD,

So it's a matter of your special low-speed balance problem, not
rolling resistance?

That is, your old narrow tires were so "tippy" and the new wider tires
are "far rounder" and "+2mm wider" without kevlar belts, so you can
ride up the hill without losing your balance?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 13th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On May 13, 12:43 am, wrote:

[technical nonsense snip, there's a time and a place!]

SPIDEY BIKE!

Real tires would produce an even smaller change due to RR improvement,
though their new-toy effect can produce much more substantial gains.

Compared to the old rubber, they're far rounder, don't have a kevlar
belt, +2mm wider, so with some low speed balance issues I have due to
a funky blood vessel in the noggin, it's a definite feel thing. Feels
much more velcro-y now vs. tippy at stupid low speed now, especially
considering that I'm doing this obscene hill out of the saddle.

Forgot to mention that I got a new Pace Park Tools logo hat that
really goes nice with my summer jersey.

http://www.glorycycles.com/pasppatocap.html

Maybe the stripes are helping?

Fogels smarm and bitter, joyless crap snipped

Dear Carl,

Why don't you just go **** yerself?

Cheers!
Old May 13th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
On May 13, 12:43 am, wrote:

[technical nonsense snip, there's a time and a place!]

SPIDEY BIKE!

Real tires would produce an even smaller change due to RR improvement,
though their new-toy effect can produce much more substantial gains.

Compared to the old rubber, they're far rounder, don't have a kevlar
belt, +2mm wider, so with some low speed balance issues I have due to
a funky blood vessel in the noggin, it's a definite feel thing. Feels
much more velcro-y now vs. tippy at stupid low speed now, especially
considering that I'm doing this obscene hill out of the saddle.

Forgot to mention that I got a new Pace Park Tools logo hat that
really goes nice with my summer jersey.

http://www.glorycycles.com/pasppatocap.html

Maybe the stripes are helping?

Fogels smarm and bitter, joyless crap snipped

Dear Carl,

Why don't you just go **** yerself?

Hey, that's the spirit!

You know what it could all be, though...this bit of the ride back from
The Lake, the Heinous Climb from the flood plain of the Stones River
(now used as a ball field, as it's dammed), passes by one of the water
treatment plants. For a good long while I used to think it was a
woman's prison, what, with the guard towers and concertina wire. I'd
always slow down and think about bringing me a corsage and maybe some
double sided tape for next time so I could fetch me a wife on the sly,
as they probably don't allow for straight pins. But noooo, a few weeks
ago I find out that it's just a water treatment plant. So I could have
been sped up by lack of intrigue or increased ennui. Perhaps it's the
hat!