Velokraft vs. Baron, Jester, etc. Your thoughts?

Old November 13th 03, 07:51 AM
Zach Kaplan Cycles

Default Velokraft vs. Baron, Jester, etc. Your thoughts?

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

There were at least three Sunsets for sale in 2003, and one may still be
available. [2] Mine is NOT for sale.

snip

[2] Zach Kaplan recently advertised his.

My Earth Cycles Sunset is still for sale.

Zach Kaplan
Old November 13th 03, 10:55 AM
Dave Larrington

harryo wrote:

I consider any bike that you can support by putting a hand down, while
staying clipped in, a lowracer.

I'd call a bike a low racer if one can put both palms flat on the floor
while clipped in. Otherwise my Speedmachine is a low racer which, with a
seat height of about 40 cm, it isn't.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old November 13th 03, 03:50 PM
cbb

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

Hopefully the current Optima Baron frames are more durable than the
first generation - I know of three that failed [1] at the head tube/main
tube junction, and at least one of the riders is far from a Clydesdale.

I had one of the earlier Barons that was replaced under warrenty. From
looking at the new frame I don't think it is possible to cause the new
frames to fail in the same manner. The area around the headtube where
my first frame failed is now reinforced in several manners to the
point of probably being over built. That doesn't mean that there are
not other weak points but I have not heard of any other failures.

Craig
Old November 13th 03, 05:23 PM
harryo

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

Hopefully the current Optima Baron frames are more durable than the
first generation - I know of three that failed [1] at the head tube/main
tube junction, and at least one of the riders is far from a Clydesdale.

As did mine. To their credit, Optima was very good about replacing
the frame. My failure happened during the 2nd week of 9/02. At that
time, there was no distributor in the US and I emailed Optima about
the frame failure. They responded by email immediately, made no
excuses and said they would replace the frame. Optima had just
finalized a deal with Nu-Tech Cycling to distribute their bikes in the
US. The Optima folks were flying to Los Vegas, in 3 weeks, for
Interbike and were meeting with the Nu-Tech rep there. They brought
my frame with them when they flew here for Interbike, hand delivered
it to the gentleman from Nu-Tech and he shipped it to me the same day,
from his hotel in Los Vegas.

Outstanding customer support, IMO. With 2 distributors and a growing
network of Optima dealers now in place in the States, this support
should continue to be excellent.

Harry
Old November 14th 03, 12:03 AM
Tom Sherman

Dave Larrington wrote:

harryo wrote:

I consider any bike that you can support by putting a hand down, while
staying clipped in, a lowracer.

I'd call a bike a low racer if one can put both palms flat on the floor
while clipped in. Otherwise my Speedmachine is a low racer which, with a
seat height of about 40 cm, it isn't.

I suspect that most people lack Mr. Larrington's simian body
proportions. By his criteria, the Ross Festina is not a lowracer for me.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old November 14th 03, 07:52 AM
Torben Scheel

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
harryo wrote:

I consider any bike that you can support by putting a hand down, while
staying clipped in, a lowracer.

I'd call a bike a low racer if one can put both palms flat on the floor
while clipped in. Otherwise my Speedmachine is a low racer which, with a
seat height of about 40 cm, it isn't.

I could do that if I were an orangutang - I can reach both sides from my
38cm quasilow with my fingertips, so I'm getting there ;-)

Who invented the "quasilow" term?

Torben

Old November 14th 03, 08:15 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Torben Scheel" skrev...
I could do that if I were an orangutang - I can reach both sides from my
38cm quasilow with my fingertips, so I'm getting there ;-)

Whats so hot about slapping a hand down anyway? :-)
Here in Copenhagen I'd much rather have the sole of my shoe
contact the roads than the palm of my hand.
This also leaves two hands on the handlebars for steering,
braking and shifting. (Not necessarily in that order.)

Seat recline is also a factor btw.

M.
Old November 14th 03, 03:13 PM
Cletus Lee