6700 crank

Old April 26th 19, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 6700 crank

I would like to upgrade my 6700 to 8000. Keeping the current 6700 cracks saves alot and it is a Wilier so cranks match bike. Will 11 speed work fine with the 6700 cranks and shift fine?
Deacon Mark
Old April 26th 19, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I would like to upgrade my 6700 to 8000. Keeping the current 6700 cracks saves alot and it is a Wilier so cranks match bike. Will 11 speed work fine with the 6700 cranks and shift fine?
Deacon Mark

No, the 11 speed chain is narrower than the space between the rings.
Old April 26th 19, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

That is pretty much what I thought Andrew thanks confirmed by some others too.

Deacon Mark
Old April 26th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/26/2019 2:23 PM, Duane wrote:
On 26/04/2019 2:48 p.m., AMuzi wrote:
On 4/25/2019 9:36 PM, wrote:
I would like to upgrade my 6700 to 8000. Keeping the
current 6700 cracks saves alot and it is a Wilier so
cranks match bike. Will 11 speed work fine with the 6700
cranks and shift fine?
Deacon Mark

We haven't found a problem with 10 cranks in eleven gear
systems, Shimano or Campagnolo.

What would be the difference in cranks between 10 and 11
speed cranksets? Distance between the rings? Just curious.

Campagnolo Ten chain started out at 6.1mm, ended at 5.9mm.
Eleven chain dropped to 5.5, Twelve are now 5.15
(that's across the outside of the rivet edge to edge.)

Inside hasn't changed, that is, we're still working within a
very old standard of 1/2 x 3/32".

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/MANYCHAN.JPG
[1]

Chainrings are not even very different after nine speed but
distance between rings has crept slightly closer. I would
fully expect a 9, 10, 11 or 12 chain to wedge in a 1970
classic crankset between the rings but an eleven chain on a
ten crankset just isn't different enough to matter.

[1] that photo is over fifteen years old so 'modern' in the
note has no meaning now.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 26th 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 4/25/2019 9:36 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the explanation.

--