Re-gluing separated base tape?

Old February 25th 05, 04:08 PM
Dave

Default Re-gluing separated base tape?

I glued on a new Clement Strada the other day, and last night I
deflated the tire and checked to make sure the glue had bonded along
the edges of the rim. While doing so, I noticed that there were
several places where the base tape had partially separated from the
tire. The separation occured along the edge of the tire, and the tape
seems still to be attached over the seam in the middle. I have no idea
why it happened. The tape seemed fine when I glued the tire. The
areas of separation are a few inches long in a couple of places on the
wheel.

So I have two questions:

1 - Should I be concerned about this, given that the separation is only
partial?

2- How can I fix it? Would applying the latex cement from a tub repar
kit do the trick?

Old February 25th 05, 06:52 PM

Dave wrote:
[...]

This is probably covered in the FAQ to this internet group. Look for
tubulars there.

What I do is use GOOP brand glue to glue the basetape back in place
after fixing the tube. You have to pull the basetape off the casing,
3"-5", to patch the tube in a tubular. Latex cement or other glues
would work too. GOOP brand is available at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

Old February 25th 05, 07:47 PM

Not to worry Dave, I had the same thing happen to some Conti Comps and
the fix is simple. Use liquid latex to glue the base tape edges back
down. I've used Tire Life in the past but after a couple of defective
bottles have moved on to Stein's. You can order it online at:
http://www.magicmakers.com/retail/ma...nye/latex.html

Greg Hall

Old February 25th 05, 09:06 PM
A Muzi

Dave wrote:
I glued on a new Clement Strada the other day, and last night I
deflated the tire and checked to make sure the glue had bonded along
the edges of the rim. While doing so, I noticed that there were
several places where the base tape had partially separated from the
tire. The separation occured along the edge of the tire, and the tape
seems still to be attached over the seam in the middle. I have no idea
why it happened. The tape seemed fine when I glued the tire. The
areas of separation are a few inches long in a couple of places on the
wheel.

So I have two questions:

1 - Should I be concerned about this, given that the separation is only
partial?

2- How can I fix it? Would applying the latex cement from a tub repar
kit do the trick?

Yes or Tire Life or some other latex product. That's a nice
cure for dry scuffed sidewalls, too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 26th 05, 02:28 AM
Bill K.

If you have the latex solution, use that. If you don't, try to find
some "barge cement" at your local hardware store. As a last resort, do
a google search for it.