Legalizing Mountain Biking "Stunts"

Old November 29th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Legalizing Mountain Biking "Stunts"

Brilliant! To stop all illegal mountain biking, all we have to do is
LEGALIZE whatever the mountain bikers want to do! Wait a minute --
what's wrong with this picture?

Mike

From: Ed Scott
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:00:20 -0800
Subject: Stunts/Interest by the Younger Generation

What's the ROMP/IMBA/government position on stunts? Seems like we
discussed this before, and it was generally illegal for liability and
other reasons, but are all trail features verboten in all contexts?
I know advocacy and trail building/maintenance are part of the
agenda, and stunts aren't exactly a multi-use kinda thing, but would
some liberal land manager (e.g. City of Belmont) who has had a
positive experience with cyclist participation be totally opposed to
some tame trail features? We all see it all the time out there
anyhow, and it might encourage more participation in advocacy,
building and maintenance, especially for the younger crowd if there
were legal places to do this. If if there were trails with legal
features, and it might even have the effect of reducing poaching and
illegal building in unauthorized places. After all, if all stunt
creation/riding is illegal, than all stunt riders are outlaws.

Not sure it ties in with Charles' questions, but maybe it does.

-Ed

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande