Cross tires - i need some grip on asphalt for crissakes

Old May 12th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Cross tires - i need some grip on asphalt for crissakes

I see the last discussion for cross tires dating back to 2002 so I
might be safe here.
The scoop is this: I don't want to trash my Road Race 2 Pro on
fireroads and would like
to buy something like the maxxis wormdrive that came bundled with my
Merida Speeder T3 except with SOME GRIP on asphalt. I can easily lock
(and slide) the front Wormdrive
on asphalt and it's unacceptable to me. Even lesser slicks than RR2P
won't
do that (I think). Is there some discussion for semislick cross tires
grip on pavement
that I missed?
Should I just take my chances with RR2P offroad maybe dropping
pressure to 80-90psi
and keep the fingers crossed? Mavic 22 rims seems to be abuse
resistant, but
I have a hunch that where I live now the replacement inexpensive rims
would be
very hard to find should I manage to trash either one of the two.

The fattest the bike would take are 35x700s I think. The wormdrive is
32x700 and the rr2ps are 25x700.
Thanks.
Old May 16th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
RobertH

On May 12, 1:41 pm, wrote:

I have done a lot of dirt road riding on racing bikes and racing
tires. It works, they wear out pretty fast no matter what surface
they're on. Have to take it a little easier obviously. It's not as
well-suited as a cross tire but it works, and it's fun.

FS: Cross tires Mike Marketplace 1 December 3rd 05 06:57 PM
Most steep, asphalt drive on the world czajna Racing 42 August 8th 05 03:55 AM
Cross tires Scott Marketplace 0 July 8th 05 01:46 AM
Hey [] ! (...asphalt MTBs) the Bruce formerly known as fred kneeman Australia 17 March 18th 05 12:51 AM
FS Cross Tires Szymon Marketplace 0 August 13th 04 12:54 AM