Milestone Day for ARBR Arrives!

Old September 1st 05, 04:06 PM
Edward Dolan

Default Milestone Day for ARBR Arrives!

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

I thought you had bid us farewell. Is my understanding of goodbye
incomplete?

I am only tying up loose ends in connection with those few threads that I
post to. After all, there is no sense in letting idiots have the last word -
ever!

By the way Ed, we can easily tell a saint by his or her actions. It is not
necessary for you to tell us in your signature that you are a saint. I
dare say that a real saint wouldn't do it. I believe that pride is one of
the seven deadly sins.

If others here on ARBR crow about how lustful they are, then I shall
proclaim my holiness. After all, there is no sense in letting sinners have
the last word - ever!

Now I, myself, indulge in many of the big seven but then, I make no claims
to sainthood nor do I aspire to it.

We should all aspire to sainthood and more than that we should aspire to
become God. But admittedly, not everyone can be Great like me, let alone a
Great Saint.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 1st 05, 04:39 PM
Edward Dolan

"A Passing Theologian" wrote in message
Jeff Grippe wrote:

By the way Ed, we can easily tell a saint by his or her actions. It
is not necessary for you to tell us in your signature that you are a
saint. I dare say that a real saint wouldn't do it. I believe that
pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

One important means of distinguishing between a saint and ordinarry
riff-raff is that saints are, without exception, dead.

Still, we can live in hope, eh?

--
Pope Urban VIII (decd.)

Well, Hells Bells, if you sit around and wait for others to proclaim you a
saint, you will wait for all eternity. No, when you KNOW you are a saint it
is only right and just that you should proclaim it yourself. Very few go
around proclaiming themselves saints these days, so I think I have carved
out a unique niche for myself.

By the way, you never want to wait for death and what might come afterwards
to reap your rewards. Only religious nuts do that sort of thing. No, I am
entitled to my sainthood by virtue of my holiness in comparison to the
reprobates that dwell here on ARBR in great numbers. Since they boast of
their sinfulness, I shall boast of my holiness.

I have never met anyone as holy as I am. I believe I should rightly be
addressed as Saint Edward. In fact, I am so holy that I may decide to ascend
into Heaven without having to go through the bother of dying, just like Our
Blessed Virgin Mary.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. One reason I have settled on my rather unique signature is because of an
idiot here on ARBR by the name of Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland. If you
want to study a really stupid signature, have a gander at his. He won't even
tell me what a medical physics officer is although I have asked him many
times.

Old September 1st 05, 05:53 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

After all, there is no sense in letting idiots have the last word - ever!

Think about it logically. If you are going (you say you are), we are staying
(some of us are certainly), and we are idiots (by your reckoning), then
idiots will have the last word. It is out of your control unless you really
aren't going.

If others here on ARBR crow about how lustful they are, then I shall
proclaim my holiness. After all, there is no sense in letting sinners have
the last word - ever!

I don't really think of it as "crowing about how lustful" I am. I suppose
I'm no more or less lustful then average. I do not claim to be free of sin.
You, however, in your postings, sin constantly.

Whether you like it or not, sin is a religious term (so is saint for that
matter). Your words and actions must be judged by a religious standard and
not by some standard which you invent.

You could, if you like, call yourself a "Paragon" or make up some other word
that implies your supposed high moral stand. You would then be free use it
as you desire without running into concepts that have already been well
defined.

"Saint", however, is not yours to use as you see fit.

Jeff

Old September 2nd 05, 06:30 AM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

After all, there is no sense in letting idiots have the last word - ever!

Think about it logically. If you are going (you say you are), we are
staying (some of us are certainly), and we are idiots (by your reckoning),
then idiots will have the last word. It is out of your control unless you
really aren't going.

Just stop posting to this particular thread. 99% of the subject threads on
ARBR have little or no interest to me and so I do not post to them. However,
this thread is all about me and so I will stay tuned until hell freezes
over.

If others here on ARBR crow about how lustful they are, then I shall
proclaim my holiness. After all, there is no sense in letting sinners
have the last word - ever!

I don't really think of it as "crowing about how lustful" I am. I suppose
I'm no more or less lustful then average. I do not claim to be free of
sin. You, however, in your postings, sin constantly.

No, I am free of sin. I was born like Our Blessed Virgin Mary. I was
immaculately conceived and came into this world free of original sin. Can't
you tell?

Whether you like it or not, sin is a religious term (so is saint for that
matter). Your words and actions must be judged by a religious standard and
not by some standard which you invent.

The only standard I am applying to myself are the standards that prevail
here on ARBR. Most like you are not bad guys but there are a few here who
send me into orbit. They know who they are and I have managed to get rid of
most of them, much to the benefit of ARBR as a newsgroup.

Jeff, there is damn little morality in this world that is not based on
religion. Secular morality fails us every time. When we depend upon it, we
end up with the most god awful tyrannies. All the great tyrants of the last
century thought they were moral, but it was not anchored in religion and so
ended up a horror. Even the Muslims are better off for having a morality
anchored in religion. There would be no Jews in the world if it were not for
their religion based on the written word. The Jews are preeminently the
people of the Book. Disregard your Book at your peril.

You could, if you like, call yourself a "Paragon" or make up some other
word that implies your supposed high moral stand. You would then be free
use it as you desire without running into concepts that have already been
well defined.

"Saint", however, is not yours to use as you see fit.

Yes, it is! Everyone these days thinks saints are ridiculous creatures right
out of the Middle Ages, but I am here to remind you that saints are not
nearly so ridiculous as you imagine them to be. Saints remind us of our
mortality. They make us think on things not of this world but of the
nothingness of the universe and most particularly of our own nothingness. I
sit high on the mountain like all Great Saints staring into space - and I
only commune with the bald eagles.

Old September 2nd 05, 11:24 AM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

I will stay tuned until hell freezes over.

The truth at last. Well done Ed.

No, I am free of sin. I was born like Our Blessed Virgin Mary. I was
immaculately conceived and came into this world free of original sin.
Can't you tell?

Well that my be so but you have sinned a lot since then. You love to compare
yourself to "Our Blessed Virgin Mary" but it would seem that the teachings
of her son have no meaning for you. You clearly have abandoned them and
while you lay claim to moral superiority, that claim itself is yet another
sin.

"Saint", however, is not yours to use as you see fit.

Yes, it is!

No it isn't! Really! I think if you were to survey those who actually
believe in Saints they would agree that with the exception of the football
team (really bad joke considering the circumstances), sainthood is
determined by people who have not chosen you.

You can disregard this and say that you are using the word to mean what you
want it to mean and not what it really does mean. You would then be leaving
the world of concentual reality behind you. The common term for people who
do that is crazy.

Old September 2nd 05, 12:10 PM
Tim

On 2005-09-01, Leif wrote:
[snip]
Also, I'm aware that in the UK, it is sometimes pronounced "Aluminium",
with the "ium" at the end. Do they spell it this way too?

I'm sure I could easily find out if I just took the time to open up a
dictionary, but I suspect your response will be worth not having taken
the effort. Who knows, maybe you'll somehow tie George Bush in to it
too.

In the UK we do correctly spell element thirteen as aluminium
though we do spell sulphur wrong

(IUPAC give the correct spellings as aluminium and sulfur if
anybody is interested.)
--
Tim.

Old September 2nd 05, 02:55 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

I will stay tuned until hell freezes over.

The truth at last. Well done Ed.

But only in connection with a particular thread that is all about me.

No, I am free of sin. I was born like Our Blessed Virgin Mary. I was
immaculately conceived and came into this world free of original sin.
Can't you tell?

Well that my be so but you have sinned a lot since then. You love to
compare yourself to "Our Blessed Virgin Mary" but it would seem that the
teachings of her son have no meaning for you. You clearly have abandoned
them and while you lay claim to moral superiority, that claim itself is
yet another sin.

GREAT Saints like myself are not mere do-gooders. No, we are all about
condemning others and consigning them to Hell where they belong. The idea
that saints are meek and humble disgusts me. Why should I be meek and humble
when all the rest of you are such outrageous sinners. I say to Hell with you
and may the Devil take you! Now you know what a Great Saint is!

GREAT Saints like myself are all about passing judgment on sinners. If I
don't do it, who will?

"Saint", however, is not yours to use as you see fit.

Yes, it is!

No it isn't! Really! I think if you were to survey those who actually
believe in Saints they would agree that with the exception of the football
team (really bad joke considering the circumstances), sainthood is
determined by people who have not chosen you.

You can disregard this and say that you are using the word to mean what
you want it to mean and not what it really does mean. You would then be
leaving the world of concentual reality behind you. The common term for
people who do that is crazy.

I define words to suit me, not others. But I always elaborate and explain
what I mean so that others can take it or leave it. You do not like my use
of the word saint, but I have told you what I mean by it. What could be
fairer than that?

The word saint represents a superior platform from which to judge others. I
am assuming a moral position which has been hallowed by the ages. Anyone who
says "if it moves **** it" is automatically judged and condemned by words
out of his own mouth. I always assume a position of high virtue. Those who
assume any other position can try to defend it, but they will have me to
contend with. We Great Saints are here to plague lowly sinners.

Old September 2nd 05, 03:08 PM
Edward Dolan

On 2005-09-01, Leif wrote:
[snip]
Also, I'm aware that in the UK, it is sometimes pronounced "Aluminium",
with the "ium" at the end. Do they spell it this way too?

I'm sure I could easily find out if I just took the time to open up a
dictionary, but I suspect your response will be worth not having taken
the effort. Who knows, maybe you'll somehow tie George Bush in to it
too.

In the UK we do correctly spell element thirteen as aluminium
though we do spell sulphur wrong

(IUPAC give the correct spellings as aluminium and sulfur if
anybody is interested.)
--
Tim.

Hey Tim, since you lost your empire and have become a second rate nation, it
no longer matters how the Brits do anything anymore. We Americans are now in
the driver's seat since we are the only super power left in the world.

You Brits needed to win your wars better. I would not have minded at all
living in the age of Queen Victoria, but I will take a pass on your present
reduced circumstances. If you want to dictate anything to anyone respecting
the English language, come to America and forsake lowly Britain (no longer
Great).

Old September 2nd 05, 03:44 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

But only in connection with a particular thread that is all about me.

You can qualify it all you want. Bottom line is you aren't going anywhere.

GREAT Saints like myself are all about passing judgment on sinners. If I
don't do it, who will?

There is no shortage of people doing this job Ed. But they are not saints
any more than you are.

I define words to suit me, not others. But I always elaborate and explain
what I mean so that others can take it or leave it. You do not like my use
of the word saint, but I have told you what I mean by it. What could be
fairer than that?

Using it the way most of us use it would be much fairer. I could say that
when I use the term "**** You", what I really mean is "Go with God and may
peace be upon you". Having said this, are you going to be comfortable with
my saying "**** You" over and over? No you won't because you realize that
"**** You" already has a meaning that is understood no matter what Jeff
Grippe says it means. The same is true of the word "Saint". It does not mean
what Ed Dolan says it means even if Ed Dolan has told us what he means when
he uses it. Just because you call yourself a saint doesn't mean you are one.
If you persist in calling yourself a saint it might mean that you are
seriously deluded. It might mean that you are witty and clever with words.
It might mean that you don't actually know what a saint is. But it will
never make you a saint.

The word saint represents a superior platform from which to judge others.
I am assuming a moral position which has been hallowed by the ages. Anyone
who says "if it moves **** it" is automatically judged and condemned by
words out of his own mouth. I always assume a position of high virtue.
Those who assume any other position can try to defend it, but they will
have me to contend with. We Great Saints are here to plague lowly sinners.

Once again you are using words in a way that is inconsistent with the way
most of us use them. Most of us, for example, know a joke when we hear one
and don't pretend that it is a statement of policy. What the crazy person
considers virtuous, isn't. You are not the barometer of morals. You aren't
even close. Sorry to be so blunt but you are often rude, insulting, and
vulgar. These are not behaviors of the morally superior or virtuous.

Old September 3rd 05, 12:40 AM
Tim

On 2005-09-02, Edward Dolan wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

[snip]
In the UK we do correctly spell element thirteen as aluminium
though we do spell sulphur wrong

(IUPAC give the correct spellings as aluminium and sulfur if
anybody is interested.)
--
Tim.

Hey Tim, since you lost your empire and have become a second rate nation, it
no longer matters how the Brits do anything anymore. We Americans are now in
the driver's seat since we are the only super power left in the world.

You Brits needed to win your wars better. I would not have minded at all
living in the age of Queen Victoria, but I will take a pass on your present
reduced circumstances. If you want to dictate anything to anyone respecting
the English language, come to America and forsake lowly Britain (no longer
Great).

The issue isn't necessarily the spelling of the names of the
elements being "right" or "wrong" because that's how it's done in the
UK. The correct/ official spellings are aluminium and sulfur because the
International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) say so.

--
Tim.