UK may consider electric vehicle subsidy to increase cycling

Old October 23rd 17, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:54:33 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH idiot's endless drivel

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"If cyclists used their bikes naked, more people could get erections and we
Old October 23rd 17, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 8:45:21 PM UTC+1, Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:51:58 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester wrote:

Darn, another senile idiot took your bait again, Birdbrain! Just what is it
with you and all the senile oafs (whether Brits or Americans), you filthy
******?

Why?
It highlighted the 2 major shortcomings with electric cars.
The time it takes to refuel, especially for a normal household, and the longevity of the battery.

Who gives a **** other than a troll or a feeder of trolls!

Me.

Old October 23rd 17, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default UK may consider electric vehicle subsidy to increase cycling

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 7:54:43 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:47:42 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 2:16:56 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:08:14 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 7:38:33 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 18:57:23 +0100, Tosspot wrote:

On 20/10/17 18:42, Bod wrote:
The UK government could potentially consider providing subsidies for
electric bicycles and electric cars as part of a concerted policy effort
to get more people cycling, the roads minister, Jesse Norman, has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...crease-cycling

Not my definition of cycling. Especially because they seem to be
encouraging them into cars.

I'm still waiting for a battery that lasts as long as a tank of petrol, charges as fast as you can fill a tank of petrol, and doesn't need replacing every 5 years.

I second this. It takes over an hour to fill the tank of a Tesla at one of their supercharging stations, even longer at a standard service station charger.

What happened to the idea of flow battery cars?

I thought the three phase charging stations were about 20-30 minutes?

What does 3 phase have to do with charging a DC battery?

Because the larger fuelling stations have 3 phase power supplied to them so have more power to give you I guess.

You guess, or you know.
I have a 40 amp single phase commando socket in my lab to power the YAG laser.

Either that or your car will accept three phase power and convert it to DC within itself. They all take 13A single phase from a wall outlet, but I think some have a 3 phase input for fast charging.

They use Lithium Ion right?

Currently, yes. Lithium metal solid electrolyte batteries will be here soon and wont catch fire when punctured in a crash.

Same technology as AA cells. I can charge those in 8 minutes.

The individual cells Tesla use are similar in size to an AA but I have never seen a Li AA.

They're called 14500. They're AA size, as opposed to the jumbo AA size in most cycling lights (18650). The 14 or 18 is the thickness in mm, the 50 or 65 is the length in mm, not sure what the 0 on the end is for. Like NiCd and NiMH, they can be charged in under 10 minutes (especially if they have a cooling fan on them).

AA cells produce 1.5 max, nominal 1.2v ,not 3.6v like the 14500

The problem with NiCd and NiMH is that you have to recharge individual cells.
If you charge the whole battery a weak cell can undergo reverse charging and be ruined.

Old October 23rd 17, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester wrote:

Darn, another senile idiot took your bait again, Birdbrain! Just what is it
with you and all the senile oafs (whether Brits or Americans), you filthy
******?

Why?
It highlighted the 2 major shortcomings with electric cars.
The time it takes to refuel, especially for a normal household, and the longevity of the battery.

Who gives a **** other than a troll or a feeder of trolls!

Me.

Yeah, a senile feeder of trolls, what else!
Old October 23rd 17, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:42:52 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the two idiots' sick ****

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic BULL****:
"If someone walks out from behind a parked car without looking, they're at
Old October 23rd 17, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On 20/10/17 18:42, Bod wrote:
[...]

I've read it on a site which lists UK charging points for electric cars. The faster ones are called three phase.

[...]

Yes, but they are AA sized and can be used in place of them (just add blanks to counteract the higher voltage).

So you are saying I can put 2 x 3.6v 14500 cells in my TV remote in place of the standard 1.5v AA cells?

The problem with NiCd and NiMH is that you have to recharge individual cells.

********. Chargers charge anything from 1 to 4 cells in series. And think of a PP3 which is 7 1.2V cells - you don't dismantle it to charge it do you?

If you charge the whole battery a weak cell can undergo reverse charging and be ruined.

All the cells in an electric car should be identical. Anyway, slower charging will still reverse charge a weak cell.

You are confusing Li with NiCd.

Old October 23rd 17, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:34:02 PM UTC+1, Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester wrote:

Darn, another senile idiot took your bait again, Birdbrain! Just what is it
with you and all the senile oafs (whether Brits or Americans), you filthy
******?

Why?
It highlighted the 2 major shortcomings with electric cars.
The time it takes to refuel, especially for a normal household, and the longevity of the battery.

Who gives a **** other than a troll or a feeder of trolls!

Me.

Yeah, a senile feeder of trolls, what else!

Why do have a problem with a discussion about electric car technology?

Is it because you are not intelligent enough to follow the discussion?

Old October 23rd 17, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:26:11 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester wrote:

Yeah, a senile feeder of trolls, what else!

Why do have a problem with a discussion about electric car technology?

Is it because you are not intelligent enough to follow the discussion?

Why do you keep feeding the filthiest troll and attention whore around, you
senile oaf?
Old October 23rd 17, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:22:38 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester wrote:

You are confusing Li with NiCd.

You are feeding a filthy troll!
Old October 24th 17, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 11:44:05 PM UTC+1, Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:26:11 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester wrote:

Yeah, a senile feeder of trolls, what else!

Why do have a problem with a discussion about electric car technology?

Is it because you are not intelligent enough to follow the discussion?

Why do you keep feeding the filthiest troll and attention whore around, you
senile oaf?

Why are you posting to this group?