Old Peugots and New Cranksets

Old July 8th 05, 06:23 AM
Paul Hobson

Default Old Peugots and New Cranksets

Ok...this is my last dumb question for a while (I swear)

I'm looking at an old Peugeot frame right now (early 80's) that has a
fork, stem, and bottom bracket on it already. Assuming it's the
original BB, are there any compatibility issues with newer cranksets?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old July 8th 05, 07:42 AM
Hank Wirtz

Paul Hobson wrote in news:dal2l5$pi0$1@news-
int.gatech.edu:

Ok...this is my last dumb question for a while (I swear)

I'm looking at an old Peugeot frame right now (early 80's) that has a
fork, stem, and bottom bracket on it already. Assuming it's the
original BB, are there any compatibility issues with newer cranksets?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

\\paul

The most likely issue you'll run into would be the length of the BB
spindle. Most new cranks are low-profile and use much shorter spindles.

I just put a triple crank (Sugino XD300) on my '75 PX-10 and the old
Stronglight BB was 118 for a double crank, and I had to switch to a 113
for the triple, and even that was a bit long. I wound up getting some
French Phil Wood BB rings off Ebay, and Nashbar had 70x113 Shimano UN-
72s on closeout. I chucked the Italian rings that came with the UN72,
used the Phil rings (the UN-72's the only one that's compatible, the UN-
73 isn't), and was able to adjust the chainline, but I probably could
have gone with a 107.

Another issue was that the corners of the hole on the crank were flatter
than on the old BB, so the only metal-to-metal contact was at the
corners and the crankarms loosened immediately. Again, once I got the
UN-72 in there, it worked great.

Of course, if this is a frame you're looking at buying, you may decide
that it's more trouble than it's worth and look elsewhere. I have a
strong attachment to my PX-10, so doing out-of-the-ordinary things to
allow me to keep riding it isn't that big of a deal to me.

I'd say to go for it if it's 531 or 753 or Columbus SLX or whatever
Vitus tubing the PSV-12 had (I think 980), but if it's 501 or the lower-
end Vitus, I'd guess there's better stuff to be had. Or at least more
conveniant than building out a French-threaded frame.

Good luck!

-Hank
Old July 8th 05, 12:30 PM
Paul Hobson

Hank Wirtz wrote:
Paul Hobson wrote in news:dal2l5$pi0$1@news-
int.gatech.edu:

Ok...this is my last dumb question for a while (I swear)

I'm looking at an old Peugeot frame right now (early 80's) that has a
fork, stem, and bottom bracket on it already. Assuming it's the
original BB, are there any compatibility issues with newer cranksets?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

\\paul

Snip

I'd say to go for it if it's 531 or 753 or Columbus SLX or whatever
Vitus tubing the PSV-12 had (I think 980), but if it's 501 or the lower-
end Vitus, I'd guess there's better stuff to be had. Or at least more
conveniant than building out a French-threaded frame.

Good luck!

-Hank

Thanks, Hank! Well, if it's really cheap, so it might be worth it.
The main problem is that all of my LBS around here have no interest in
helping people fix old bikes so long as you're no buying a $1000+ bike
in the process. I suppose that doesn't make Atlanta unique in any way,
but it's still frustrating for a novice trying to learn how to work on
bike by actually working on bikes.

Thanks again!

\\paul