A Sorta Vintage Bike Technical Question

Old March 7th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

Default A Sorta Vintage Bike Technical Question

Hi all:

A pretty obscure question.

I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

I know I could just replace this bit with the modern equivalent, but
I'm trying to keep the bike true to its period, at least for the
moment.

TIA

Tom Young
Old March 7th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 6, 6:02 pm, TomYoung wrote:
Hi all:

A pretty obscure question.

I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

If you can fit one, sure.
Old March 7th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

"TomYoung" wrote in message
Hi all:

A pretty obscure question.

I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

I know I could just replace this bit with the modern equivalent, but
I'm trying to keep the bike true to its period, at least for the
moment.

TIA

Tom Young

I would. BTW, what color is your 520? Nice bike.

Old March 7th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Tom asks a very legit question;

Hi all:
A pretty obscure question.
I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently
purchased and I have a question about the casing that
carries the rear derailleur cable from the frame to the
derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano 600, casing is that old-style
wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing had a ferrule on the
frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but
no ferrule on the derailleur end. It looks like the
stop on the derailleur is large enough to accept a
ferrule. Should there be one there?
I know I could just replace this bit with the
modern equivalent, but I'm trying to keep the bike true
to its period, at least for the moment.
TIA
Tom Young

Tom I'm _not_ a TREK expert. I can only relate my own experience
regarding your question.

I've worked on Raleighs, Schwinns, Fujis, all from that general period.
What you've described is the norm from my POV.

A ferrule at the chainstay braze-on and no ferrule at the rear derailer.
If I was to see a ferrule at the derailer end I'd think, umm, that's
odd. (talking spiral wound housing here)

Good question.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old March 7th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

TomYoung wrote:
Hi all:

A pretty obscure question.

I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

yes, and you can use a aluminium cap on the cable end, just as on the
factory photo's

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old March 7th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

"M-gineering" wrote in message
TomYoung wrote:
Hi all:

A pretty obscure question.

I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

yes, and you can use a aluminium cap on the cable end, just as on the
factory photo's

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

There should be a ferrule on the end, doesn't have to be aluminum,
the steel ones work just as well. What the ferrule does, is acts
as a protector for the cable end. The derailleur cable ferrule looks
different than the brake cable ferrule.
Here is a photo of a derailleur cable ferrule:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...ML._AA160_.jpg
Mine is slightly longer than the one in the photo on my 1985 Specialized
Expedition, but same configuration.

Here is a brake cable ferrule:
http://www.huskybicycles.com/Merchan.../311-188tn.jpg

-tom

Old March 7th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

On Mar 6, 6:41 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®"
wrote:
"TomYoung" wrote in message

[...]

I think the 1985 Trek only came in one color, which was "Cumulus
Grey." I'd call it Grey Metalflake and I was lucky enough to snag a
bike with a near-perfect finish.

Thanks to all that replied.

Tom Young
Old March 7th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

TomYoung wrote:
[...]

Ah, yes. I know I've seen that sort of ferrule before. Don't have
one, probably can't get one, but thanks for the info!

Tom Young