GPS Bike computers

Old March 7th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
youth

Default GPS Bike computers

"steve" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about GPS or traditional
bike computers.

It seems there is no perfect answer. The Garmin Edge 305 would be my
choice but I'm very concerned about battery life. I will do several
centuries this summer one of which -The mountain Lakes Challenge -
will involve a lot of elevation gain and is far enough away that we
will be camping and thus have no access to electricity.
The reviews I have seen seem to be love it or hate it. Hate it is
usually about battery life.

I ride every day and don't want to be always worried about the
batteries.

Steve G

Not a bike specific model, but check out the Garmin Vista HCx
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8703
Claim batt life of 25 hours (w/lithium batts?). I have one, but never tested
its runtime. Displays a moving map which I don't think the edge does, though
you'll have to pay extra for them.

g'day
youth

Old March 7th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 6, 9:04*pm, "youth" wrote:
"steve" wrote in message

[...]

youth- Hide quoted text -

I'll 2nd the garmin cx; I use one on mine, with their geko holster
zipped tied on top of my stem it's a very workable unit; last summer I
forget to recharge my batteries and the unit died ( gave my about an
hour warning, shutting off the display to conserve power); I bought 2
AA batteries at a gas station along the way and the unit powered up
continuing the ride tracking perfectly; did not reset or lose any
data, only showed the gap when the batts went dead and new ones went
in. It's a very smart well designed unit. I love the way the screen
display automatically goes to night mode when the sun goes down and it
gets dark. Brilliant piece of tech.
Old March 7th 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

riding $400 of fragile electronics on a bicycle bar....
Old March 7th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 7, 1:51*pm, datakoll wrote:
riding $400 of fragile electronics on a bicycle bar....

Get these bars and you won't be worried about the GPS hitting the
deck:

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/cat...M_K-SWord.html

Joseph
Old March 7th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

bars are nooooo protection from migrating snow geese, flying nuns,
rocks, hands feet, helmet, tree limbs.
not for a small Cateye enduro, not for a 14 times larger Garmin. The
idea advanced, you gotta watch the screen runs contrary to reasons for
needing an insight screen. No?
battery? The full bore GPS76 mabe runs 16 hours? There's a few
recharge the batts websites with charts. There appears to be some
question wether you're gaining or not useing a recharger.
I'm planning an expedition where a Marantz recorder and GPS and
occasional small camera are in daily use. That's 4 per day. Whattaya
gonna do? blow the day saving $1.50?
Old March 7th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 7, 11:10*am, (Jose) wrote:
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:09:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I'll 2nd the garmin cx; I use one on mine, with their geko holster

hour warning, shutting off the display to conserve power); I bought 2
AA batteries at a gas station along the way and the unit powered up

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just started retrieving
this thread now...

Since besides a bicycle I also ride a motorcycle, and drive a car,
would this device serve me on all 3 vehicles?

Thanks,
Jose

perfectly ! I use mine in the car all the time; I had to plan a route
to drive to the states and enroute managed to miss a ramp in detroit
because the traffic was very hairy and construction imposed some
unforeseen detors, but I was able to get back on track, see where I
was, where I wanted to go and reroute myself there while driving on
the highway and just glancing at the unit. my gps only cost $300 at
gpscity, not $400; but no mind; yes it is an expense, I don't leave my
bike unattended, if I go into a store for liquids I take my bike in
with me, if the propietor complains no big deal I'll just go into the
next store. I have the lanyard tied to the stem so should a mishap
cause the unit to pop out of it's holster it's still on my bike. In
the car I put it out of sight in the glovebox if I park and leave the
car for a bit- less risk of inviting a smash-and-grab to get a
dashboard mounted unit. the other thing about my portable unit is that
i take it inside and can download/upload routes and info directly via
usb.
Old March 7th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jose

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:31:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

perfectly ! I use mine in the car all the time; I had to plan a route

Thanks a lot for the info!

Best,
Jose
Old March 8th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

join REI? and try

http://www.rei.com/product/752637

with Topo USA extra, bike mount?

or more $$$ with altimeter

search Garmin in the REI search box

batteries should be noooo problem

REI is ok for $$$ items as REI gives 10% back with membership, maybe
no sales tax. email sales
Campmor's clothing and sales are less expensive, eg socks,
windbreakers...

GPS Bike computers datakoll Techniques 0 March 6th 08 11:29 PM
GPS Bike computers daveornee[_153_] Techniques 0 March 6th 08 10:55 PM
GPS Bike computers [email protected] Techniques 0 March 6th 08 07:30 PM
Bike computers MikeyOz Australia 19 December 17th 05 02:34 AM
Bike Computers Strex Australia 12 February 4th 04 10:50 PM