rubber grips - too sticky

Old October 11th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
crowizcom

Default rubber grips - too sticky

i just get a bike (Giant Fusion) and while rest of bike seems fine
(second hand) rubber grips seem too sticky.

i noticed before that thes (Ergon?) grips start to get stickier and
stickier over time

is there a way to control it?

Old October 11th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Borrall Wonnell[_2_]

On Oct 11, 4:29*pm, crowizcom wrote:
i just get a bike (Giant Fusion) and while rest of bike seems fine
(second hand) rubber grips seem too sticky.

i noticed before that thes (Ergon?) grips start to get stickier and
stickier over time

I use baby powder on my inner tubes to reduce friction...should work
for grips as well.
You can always change grips. I switched from rubber to foam grips and
haven't looked back.
Old October 11th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 11 Oct, 19:29, crowizcom wrote:
i just get a bike (Giant Fusion) and while rest of bike seems fine
(second hand) rubber grips seem too sticky.

i noticed before that thes (Ergon?) grips start to get stickier and
stickier over time

is there a way to control it?

Dust them. Use french chalk or talcum powder. Use corn flour if your
desperate.
Old October 12th 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

A lot of times the stickyness doesn't come from the rubber, but from you
(or rather your sweaty hands). Have you trired washing them? Try Dawn
and water, then rinse.

If that doesn't remove the stickyness, their's always talc.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website (final month):
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old October 12th 09, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
crowizcom

apparently they are intentionally sticky, in order 'to provide secure
grip even in wet conditions'
just tried them in rain, stickiness receded

they are like those
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP532....campaign%3dDDI
grey pads are sticky

Old October 12th 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 12 Oct, 12:08, crowizcom wrote:
apparently they are intentionally sticky, in order 'to provide secure
grip even in wet conditions'
just tried them in rain, stickiness receded

they are like thosehttp://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP532.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_...
grey pads are sticky

Manual for ergon gp1 says to clean them with warm soapy water. I'd
say your hands with soap as well. If you use a hand cleanser or
detergent there may be something which is increasing the stickiness.
If after cleaning your grips and hands with soap, it does not
stabilize, using glove which will lint a little may help with the bare
hand issue. Else seen as it reduces with rain, just dust your hands
with talc before riding until the dry weather stickiness is to your
satisfaction.
Old October 12th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Oct 12, 7:30*am, someone wrote:
On 12 Oct, 12:08, crowizcom wrote:

apparently they are intentionally sticky, in order 'to provide secure
grip even in wet conditions'
just tried them in rain, stickiness receded

they are like thosehttp://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP532.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_...
grey pads are sticky

Manual for ergon gp1 says to clean them with warm soapy water. *I'd
say your hands with soap as well. *If you use a hand cleanser or
detergent there may be something which is increasing the stickiness.
If after cleaning your grips and hands with soap, it does not
stabilize, using glove which will lint a little may help with the bare
hand issue. *Else seen as it reduces with rain, just dust your hands
with talc before riding until the dry weather stickiness is to your
satisfaction.

yeah; I've grips on an old mtb stored away that if you touch, your
hands are black with goop; perhaps it was the the soap I used to clean
the bike from time to time, sunblock, sweat and/or natural breakdown
of the rubber they used. really, when it gets like that you have to
pull them off and just replace them because they aren';t going to get
any better.
Old July 2nd 14, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:34:22 PM UTC-4, thirty-six wrote:
On 11 Oct, 19:29, crowizcom wrote:
i just get a bike (Giant Fusion) and while rest of bike seems fine
(second hand) rubber grips seem too sticky.

i noticed before that thes (Ergon?) grips start to get stickier and
stickier over time

is there a way to control it?

Dust them. Use french chalk or talcum powder. Use corn flour if your
desperate.

I used corn starch, seems to be working.

Old July 27th 17, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I used goo be gone and powder and also the yellowing i used magic eraser
Old July 28th 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 8:45:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I used goo be gone and powder and also the yellowing i used magic eraser

excellent esp with ergo bars ...major consideration for long distance

natural hand flexing over sweat absorbant...and cleanable right density foam is 21C vs Goodyear's rubber

http://grabongrips.com/

Removing rubber handlebar grips Rik O'Shea Techniques 9 September 9th 08 04:21 AM
try all sticky for MUni? mornish Unicycling 4 July 9th 06 07:47 PM
Getting Sticky? Tom Kunich Racing 3 April 2nd 05 07:38 PM
My brakes are a little sticky ... elyob UK 3 February 11th 05 09:55 AM
Sticky New Chain pas Mountain Biking 18 September 1st 04 12:18 PM