Folding bicycle pedals. Review and questions.

Old November 23rd 13, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Folding bicycle pedals. Review and questions.

I've been riding with folding bicycle pedals for about 2 months so see
how well they work and evaluate the design. I bought some Sunlite
2067302 pedals on eBay for about $18:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Sunlite%2067302%20folding%20pedals/index.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290981572428

They *may* have originally been made by Hsing Ta Industrial Co., Ltd
as HTI-F2 pedals. They are no longer listed on the web pile, do not
look anything like their other pedals, and therefore may be some other
company "borrowing" the HTI name:
http://www.hti-pedals.com/ht_portal/product/list?cname=pedal

So far, they function marginally, and I can see problems with the
design. Note the "lump" in the aluminum casting that sticks out
slightly above the pedal platform. That's intentional so that the
bulk of the shoe pressure hits the stronger aluminum, and not the
weaker plastic resin. That results in a tendency for my foot to slide
outwards. When that happens, and I'm pushing beyond where the resin
pin fits into the aluminum socket, causing the resin part to bend.
It's especially bad when wearing flat bottom street shoes or grinding
my way up a hill.

Note the location of the round aluminum socket hole in:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Sunlite%2067302%20folding%20pedals/slides/Folding-pedal-01.html
It's located roughly in the middle of the pedal. That's the end of
the strong part of the pedal. The connection and locking mechanism
worked nicely, until I buried the pedal in mud. Getting it apart was
easy enough. Putting it back together was difficult because the pin
and socket arrangement didn't like the dirt piled up in the interface.
Without any place for the dirt to go, nothing would fit. I'm tempted
to drill some exit holes in the aluminum socket to see if that helps.
In the end, I had to use my water bottle and a rag to wash out the
mechanism.

Despite the marginal design, the folding pedals have been quite
useful. They allow me to store my bicycle in my office and not smash
into the projecting pedals every time I walk past. They add an
additional layer of security when I park my bicycle in that few
bicycle thieves are likely to just jump on the bicycle and ride off
with the pedals unlocked. It also makes the bicycle fit better in
back of my Subaru and on the bike carrier hung off the rear hatch. It
also makes it easier to store my bicycles closer together and not get
them tangled in the pedals. I like the concept, but not the
implementation.

Does anyone know of a better folding pedal design? Something with an
exposed locking mechanism, that doesn't collect dirt and is somewhat
self cleaning. Maybe an all metal design. Easily removable pedals
are acceptable. I have some ideas for making my own, but I would like
to see what's available first.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 23rd 13, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/23/2013 11:31 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

There's a very nicely made MKS pedal whose aluminum body
snaps (no tools) on and off:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/MKSEZOFF.JPG

Not specifically a folding pedal but it is quality if the
format works for you.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 23rd 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:31:52 AM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Brompton uses 1 large bearing , and mounts it to the crankarm with a core ,
flanged on the outside , a washer to press against the inside of the bearing ,
and fix it to the crank arm..

the threaded core is made in steel, RH and LH thread, and in Titanium in the LH thread
on their bikes a folding RH pedal is unnecessary.
Old November 23rd 13, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

[...]

They also seem to have a folding pedal:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mks+fd7&tbm=isch

I can't comment on these in particular, but have been satisfied with
several MKS pedals.

Old November 24th 13, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...36.n4f5SASifMg
Old November 24th 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 15:08:18 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

AMuzi writes:

[...]

I've been using the RMS pedals for some time, not folding but almost
1/2" shorter than their standard touring pedal. I have both and can't
tell the differance.
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe2.htm

If I wanted a folding pedal, I'd go with MKS.

Cheers
Old November 24th 13, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

See http://www.nycewheels.com/p-pedal-removable-mks-sv.html

Not folding but removable.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 24th 13, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:56:36 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

There's a very nicely made MKS pedal whose aluminum body
snaps (no tools) on and off:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/MKSEZOFF.JPG
Not specifically a folding pedal but it is quality if the
format works for you.

Thanks. I looked at the MKS EZY and EZY-Superior line of pedals,
http://www.mkspedal.com/English/1W-out.pdf
and decided to try something cheaper when I saw prices at $50 to $90.
Still, it's tempting to buy a collection of MKS EZY-Superior adapters
for all my bicycles, and just rotate a single pair of pedals between
machines.

I don't like the little yellow clip that is suppose to keep the EZY
locking mechanism from spontaneously releasing. Apparently it's a
problem with the EZY line, but has been fixed with EZY-Superior.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/623254-Removable-Pedals-Ezy-vs-Ezy-Superior

Much as I like the idea of removable pedals, they can easily become a
problem if I decide to go somewhere, and need to leave the bicycle
locked to a bike rack. I have to remove and carry my junk bag,
headlight, helmet, and pump. Two pedals would need to be added to the
list which is another reason why I tried folding pedals first.

wrote:
I've been using the RMS pedals for some time, not folding but almost
1/2" shorter than their standard touring pedal. I have both and can't
tell the differance.
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe2.htm

The shorter pedal might be useful on some rides, but my problems are
storage and car carrying, not riding. I need to lose something like 4
inches off each pedal, not 1/2 inch. Also, I sometimes wear
construction boots, which might slide off the end of a short pedal. No
thanks.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 10:04:33 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:
Thanks for posting a bicycle-related thread to a bicycle-tech group, Jeff. -- Andre Jute

Y'er welcome. Hopefully that should adequately restore my karma loss
from previous transgressions, topic drifting, and digressions into
irrelevant trivia.

wrote:
Brompton uses 1 large bearing , and mounts it to the crankarm with a core ,
flanged on the outside , a washer to press against the inside of the bearing ,
and fix it to the crank arm..
The threaded core is made in steel, RH and LH thread, and in Titanium in the LH thread
on their bikes a folding RH pedal is unnecessary.

Clever design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqqnJHHYO-o
However, it doesn't seem to be available as a separate product.

John B. wrote:
See http://www.nycewheels.com/p-pedal-removable-mks-sv.html
Not folding but removable.

Yep. MKS seems to be the favored pedal maker. However, that model is
the EZY with the yellow locking clip, which I would like to avoid.
Same idea, but in the EZY-Superior series might be better.

Old November 24th 13, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a Brompton design may show in the Images page I posted.

the deal is dirt/wear/materials...looks good for MKS. How's the MKS seal/bearing/lube level ?

old school thought is plastic pedals ship with plastic bearings SOP unless you're traveling to planet LOOK

Folding Pedals - What are the options? Dr Kickstand General 2 September 12th 07 04:07 PM
Folding/removable SPD-compatible pedals for folding bikes? Alan Hoyle General 1 April 25th 07 03:22 PM
bromptom folding pedals john malins UK 0 June 1st 06 04:36 PM
Spring bike mechanical review questions. Methusaleh General 29 February 27th 06 12:49 PM
FS: Suntour Folding Pedals Richard Bates UK 2 February 25th 05 03:41 PM