Ian Walker's research

Old November 25th 13, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Ian Walker's research

Dr Ian Walker has done some more research in to close passes. This time
not about where you position yourself on the road, but what you wear.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...01457513004636

--
JS
Old November 25th 13, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:50:40 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Dr Ian Walker has done some more research in to close passes. This time

not about where you position yourself on the road, but what you wear.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...01457513004636

From the graphic showing the costumes, he didn't include normal, everyday, non-cycling clothing. Pity. I'd think that worldwide, that's what's most commonly used.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 26th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 25/11/2013 21:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:50:40 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Dr Ian Walker has done some more research in to close passes. This time

not about where you position yourself on the road, but what you wear.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...01457513004636

From the graphic showing the costumes, he didn't include normal, everyday, non-cycling clothing. Pity. I'd think that worldwide, that's what's most commonly used.

The guy in the rugby shirt and rucksack surely counts?

Old November 26th 13, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/11/13 08:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:50:40 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Dr Ian Walker has done some more research in to close passes. This
time

not about where you position yourself on the road, but what you
wear.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...01457513004636

From the graphic showing the costumes, he didn't include normal,
everyday, non-cycling clothing. Pity. I'd think that worldwide,
that's what's most commonly used.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...distances.html

"269 participants used bikes with ultrasonic devices fitted to measure
the distance at which motorists overtook them while they wore a variety
of different cycling kit. This included a typical sporting rider's
Lycra, a casual rider's normal clothing, and several different
commercially available hi-viz vests."

--
JS
Old November 26th 13, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, November 25, 2013 11:05:50 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 26/11/13 08:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:

From the graphic showing the costumes, he didn't include normal,
everyday, non-cycling clothing. Pity. I'd think that worldwide,
that's what's most commonly used.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...distances.html

"269 participants used bikes with ultrasonic devices fitted to measure
the distance at which motorists overtook them while they wore a variety
of different cycling kit. This included a typical sporting rider's
Lycra, a casual rider's normal clothing, and several different
commercially available hi-viz vests."

From the graphics, I believe the "casual riders normal clothes" must mean clothes normal for _riders_, as opposed to the rest of the population. I suppose I should read the actual paper to be sure.

I did two short utility rides today. In both cases, I just jumped on the bike wearing whatever I wear around the house.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 26th 13, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 26/11/2013 05:41, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2013 11:05:50 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 26/11/13 08:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:

From the graphic showing the costumes, he didn't include normal,
everyday, non-cycling clothing. Pity. I'd think that worldwide,
that's what's most commonly used.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...distances.html

"269 participants used bikes with ultrasonic devices fitted to measure
the distance at which motorists overtook them while they wore a variety
of different cycling kit. This included a typical sporting rider's
Lycra, a casual rider's normal clothing, and several different
commercially available hi-viz vests."

From the graphics, I believe the "casual riders normal clothes" must mean clothes normal for _riders_, as opposed to the rest of the population. I suppose I should read the actual paper to be sure.

The graphics show a guy wearing a rugby shirt and rucksack (the
brown/green quartered thing). That's fairly normal non-rider kit here.

Old November 26th 13, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Clive George writes:

On 26/11/2013 05:41, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2013 11:05:50 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 26/11/13 08:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:

From the graphic showing the costumes, he didn't include normal,
everyday, non-cycling clothing. Pity. I'd think that worldwide,
that's what's most commonly used.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...distances.html

"269 participants used bikes with ultrasonic devices fitted to measure
the distance at which motorists overtook them while they wore a variety
of different cycling kit. This included a typical sporting rider's
Lycra, a casual rider's normal clothing, and several different
commercially available hi-viz vests."

From the graphics, I believe the "casual riders normal clothes" must mean clothes normal for _riders_, as opposed to the rest of the population. I suppose I should read the actual paper to be sure.

The graphics show a guy wearing a rugby shirt and rucksack (the
brown/green quartered thing). That's fairly normal non-rider kit here.

The purpose, I believe, of the high visibility stuff is to be seen and
noticed. I wouldn't expect it to have an effect on passing distance.
Analogously, I doubt that cyclists riding at night without lights are
routinely passed closer than those with lights (assuming they aren't
riding lane center). Doesn't mean lights aren't useful.

--
Joe Riel
Old November 26th 13, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 27/11/13 04:01, Joe Riel wrote:
Clive George writes:

On 26/11/2013 05:41, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2013 11:05:50 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 26/11/13 08:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:

From the graphic showing the costumes, he didn't include normal,
everyday, non-cycling clothing. Pity. I'd think that worldwide,
that's what's most commonly used.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...distances.html

"269 participants used bikes with ultrasonic devices fitted to measure
the distance at which motorists overtook them while they wore a variety
of different cycling kit. This included a typical sporting rider's
Lycra, a casual rider's normal clothing, and several different
commercially available hi-viz vests."

From the graphics, I believe the "casual riders normal clothes" must mean clothes normal for _riders_, as opposed to the rest of the population. I suppose I should read the actual paper to be sure.

The graphics show a guy wearing a rugby shirt and rucksack (the
brown/green quartered thing). That's fairly normal non-rider kit here.

The purpose, I believe, of the high visibility stuff is to be seen and
noticed. I wouldn't expect it to have an effect on passing distance.
Analogously, I doubt that cyclists riding at night without lights are
routinely passed closer than those with lights (assuming they aren't
riding lane center). Doesn't mean lights aren't useful.

Also that motorists don't routinely drive closer to "roadies" than
people riding in hi-viz or normal clothes, for example.

--
JS
Old November 27th 13, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:25:04 +1100, James
wrote:

Also that motorists don't routinely drive closer to "roadies" than
people riding in hi-viz or normal clothes, for example.

Some motorists drive deliberately close to people who are obviously
enthusiast riders "just to show them." Yelling and throwing stuff is
optional.
Old November 27th 13, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per somebody:
Some motorists drive deliberately close to people who are obviously
enthusiast riders "just to show them." Yelling and throwing stuff is
optional.

I've seen partially-full cans of beverage thrown at cyclists, although I
have never seen a direct hit.

Dunno what half a can of beer does at 50 mph, but it can't be good.
--
Pete Cresswell

Cecil Walker 853 Reynolds [email protected] Australia 1 May 5th 08 09:02 AM
Dr. Ian Walker speaks... Tim Dunne UK 7 September 30th 06 11:44 AM
oddness at Cecil walker Bleve Australia 3 December 8th 05 05:10 AM
First Wheel Walker? G-Ballz Unicycling 3 March 4th 05 08:08 AM
Chris Walker & Drool Alec Sander Racing 13 February 26th 05 03:53 AM