Android Apps

Old November 26th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Android Apps

why are these nutters using cell phones for GPS ?
Old November 27th 13, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:19:06 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :

why are these nutters using cell phones for GPS ?

I would have asked the same question a year ago.

Then I gave my dedicated Garmin to a close family member.

Now I am using something called "Sygic" on my Samsung Note 1 and my

Samsung 10.1 Note tablet.

I don't drive that much, but so far Sygic is looking pretty good to me.

One device instead of two.... At 30-40 dollars (depending on mapset)

it's a lot cheaper than a dedicated device and it seems to me like it

offers the same or more functionality as the Garmin device I gave away.

But, like I said, I don't drive all that much so my evaluation is not

what anybody would call authoritative. OTOH, Sygic uses the Tom-Tom

mapset and they do cater to industry users.... so how bad can it be?

--

Pete Cresswell

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

the cell phone a$ks yawl pay for cell phone time in a less than mil spec environment.....ie you never really know where you are.

reads like wannabe film/silicon valley rangers/video gamers.

so he sez'but I WANNA CARRY ONE DEVICE" so place the Garmin on the bar....

My current residence/bird lab is on a road dog leg off the main route. The dog leg is a private drive. We have frequent off route visitors with normal GPS.

I paid a visit to the Mormon Handcart TRail....under 5 feet of snow...cool Bill.

mil spec is badenough.
Old November 27th 13, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

right....stands to reason...otherwise yawl certified.

so your screen measures ?

reception in Manhattan ?

and sports ETA, COG, DTG, MAX SPEED, AB SPEED, SPEED WHEN RUNNING, TIME STOPPED ?

I can drag a garmin menu over...

Old November 27th 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per John B.:
I loaded it once before and it started talking about joining,
registering and that my "purchases had" ... so I deleted it
immediately. However after reading your posts I reinstalled it and so
far they haven't charged me anything :-)

For such an apparently-sophisticated product from such an
apparently-mainstream company I was blown away by how confusing and
murky the presentation of purchase options was.

I just sort of held my breath and clicked "Ok" a bunch of times....but I
*still* don't know what I did... except that my credit card got banged
for the expected forty bucks (USA, Canada, Mexico...).
--
Pete Cresswell

Bicycling GPS app for Android? Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 69 August 14th 13 01:49 PM
GPS for Android John B. Techniques 30 October 11th 12 07:26 AM
TdF iPhone apps? Jason Spaceman Racing 2 July 2nd 10 11:49 PM
Best Android apps DoTheHustle Australia 2 February 28th 10 09:37 AM
iPhone apps Astroboy Australia 0 January 9th 10 10:27 AM