Android Apps

Old November 27th 13, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Android Apps

Per sms:
Sygic is pretty expensive so it better be a lot better than CoPilot.

I have both and it is a *lot* better.

OTOH, I thought that for less than ten bucks buying CoPilot was a
no-brainer. Still do...
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 28th 13, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=COMPARE+CE...+TO+GARMIN+GPS

Old November 28th 13, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:16:35 AM UTC-5, wrote:
https://www.google.com/#q=COMPARE+CE...+TO+GARMIN+GPS

I use Streets/Trips plus Garmin nroute in topo. Cell phone storage ! S/T has serious visual problems needing rethink. I complained, answer was: no disc space left....so where's the 8gb card stupid ?

The distance to go bar and viz info should be vertical on left for driving laptop use age.

But how does Anroid mapping show direction of travel in real time ? If the vehicle symbol has directional shape, does the shape change when your speed decreases to stop ?

Change shape is unnnngh expletive as I'm occupied in stopping not screen watching then bloorup no direction indication...

no disc space, he said.

Old November 28th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per :
https://www.google.com/#q=COMPARE+CE...+TO+GARMIN+GPS

If I had known about that when I bought Sygic, I might have gotten the
Garmin product instead - being familiar with it's UI on the dedicated
device I had.

One little thing about Garmin over Sygic is how they handle route
re-calculation.

Garmin says straight-up "Recalculating Route".

Sygic tells you to make a U-Turn, then starts telling you Turn Left or
Turn Rite with the obvious intent of getting you back on route.

After about a half mile, it just quietly recomputes the route. No
announcement... the route just changes.

I like Garmin's approach better.

OTOH, a few things I like about Sygic:

- Tunable turn warnings. I've got mine set to announce
pending turns/exits a half mile in advance, then a quarter
mile, and then just before.

- Tunable speed limit alarms. Somehow Sygic knows what the
speed limit is and I have it set to go "Ding" when I go
more than five mph over the limit.

- Specific exit descriptions. CoPilot will just say "Exit right"
just before an exit. This is problematic when several exits
are close together. Sygic says "Second Exit..." and gives
a description like "Route 30 East".

- Browse-friendly map. CoPilot wants to know where you are
planning to go and you have to kind of fight Mother Nature
to just browse a map. With Sygic, you can go right into
using it as just a map presentation device... and the screen
redraws are *fast* - unlike Osmand+ which seems to take forever
to render a screen as you move around on the map.

- Fuzzy destinations. CoPilot wants a street address...period.
Tough luck if you don't know the exact house number. Sygic
has a number of options including just a street name.

--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 28th 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:42:53 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and what is the vehicle symbols onscreen shape...does shape change when stopping/stopped ?

if shaped, does the shape point with direction of travel ?

voice instructions with S/T vary with year of issue. Tho we expect refinement, that isnot herd here.

as you experience varied attempts at traffic/road engineering, hear more misleading voice directions. regional differences in accuracy are apparent...eg San Diego is AAA but not Seattle.

/

Bicycling GPS app for Android? Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 69 August 14th 13 01:49 PM
GPS for Android John B. Techniques 30 October 11th 12 07:26 AM
TdF iPhone apps? Jason Spaceman Racing 2 July 2nd 10 11:49 PM
Best Android apps DoTheHustle Australia 2 February 28th 10 09:37 AM
iPhone apps Astroboy Australia 0 January 9th 10 10:27 AM