Fun triple GEARING setup

Old November 28th 15, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Fun triple GEARING setup

I just built up another MTB converted to drop bars.

I put on a 28-38-48 triple crankset. For fun I rooted through all my spare cassettes and took out the pins to separate the cogs. Then I sorted the cogs and built myself a 9-speed straight block 11-19 cassette. Tires are 2È x 2.0 knobby ones.

The high gear is 108 gear inches and the low gear is 39.8 gear inches.

Took it out for a few rides on rolling terrian with varied road surfaces ranging from smooth as glass pavemet to very bumpy dirt roads.

It seems like I was able to get the EXACT gear I wanted even when there were only slight variations in the inclines or road surface changes.

I just might leave this as it is.

Cheers
Old November 29th 15, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 12:55:25 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I just built up another MTB converted to drop bars.

I put on a 28-38-48 triple crankset. For fun I rooted through all my spare cassettes and took out the pins to separate the cogs. Then I sorted the cogs and built myself a 9-speed straight block 11-19 cassette. Tires are 2È x 2.0 knobby ones.

The high gear is 108 gear inches and the low gear is 39.8 gear inches.

Took it out for a few rides on rolling terrian with varied road surfaces ranging from smooth as glass pavemet to very bumpy dirt roads.

It seems like I was able to get the EXACT gear I wanted even when there were only slight variations in the inclines or road surface changes.

I just might leave this as it is.

Cheers

1.SR's fast
2.SR LIVES ON A POOL TABLE
3.Future activities include the Mile
Old November 29th 15, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 8:11:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Kin yah no read Laddie? That 28 - 19 gear is 39.8 gear inches and a 42 - 28 gear is 40.5 gear inches. Either is plenty low enough for a LOT OF HILLS.

Cheers

Old November 29th 15, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 11:55:22 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I just built up another MTB converted to drop bars.

I put on a 28-38-48 triple crankset. For fun I rooted through all my spare cassettes and took out the pins to separate the cogs. Then I sorted the cogs and built myself a 9-speed straight block 11-19 cassette. Tires are 2È x 2.0 knobby ones.

The high gear is 108 gear inches and the low gear is 39.8 gear inches.

Took it out for a few rides on rolling terrian with varied road surfaces ranging from smooth as glass pavemet to very bumpy dirt roads.

It seems like I was able to get the EXACT gear I wanted even when there were only slight variations in the inclines or road surface changes.

I just might leave this as it is.

Cheers

That is roughly what I use on my "Phuket Bike". I probably have never
used the 108" combination but I can tell you that I certainly use the
lowest gear. Usually coming home from a 4 hour ride and climbing the
big hill I need to get over to reach the house :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old November 29th 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

[...]

39.8 as the low gear on a triple. Must nut be very steep hills. You'd be
doing a lot of walking around here. An 11-19 seems especially strange
with only a one tooth difference per gear.

This is what you'd use here, a 12-36:
http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-CS-HG400-9-Speed-Cassette.

Or do a 3 x 11 with this 11-42:
http://www.jensonusa.com/Cassettes/Shimano-XT-CS-M8000-11-Speed-Cassette
Old November 29th 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 29/11/2015 14:23, sms wrote:
[...]

I've been using a 13-23 9speed with 30/42/52 triple for years now. Due
to slackness in maintenance the 23 has been inaccessible for most of
those, so effectively 13-21 8 speed.

Low gear 30/21 = 38.5in.

It was quite hard getting it up the 20% hill near our house when there
was a massive headwind, but I made it. I must try it now I've got a new
chain on - last time the limiting factor was chain slip, not gear.

So no, it's not a drastically high bottom gear, and for a fit person, no
need to be walking steep hills.

The one-tooth difference per gear is nice to have.

Old November 29th 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

He lives in Ontario. Why does he need a bike that can get up your hills?

--
duane
Old November 29th 15, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Just had to chime in. I have been pretty happy with my double chainring, 9-speed setup: a 34 - 50 compact crankset with 26 - 12 cogs. It gives a 35-inch low and it's mostly a two-tooth-increment cassette. We have a lot of hills around here.
Old November 29th 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Once again SMS shows he doesn't know what he's talking about.

My 28 - 19 low gear of 39.8 gear inches isn't that much higher than the 37..6 gear inches of a 39 - 28 double.

I can climb some prety steep hills with my 39.8 low gear. Besides, like yiou said, my gearing is for me in the area I ride in not for someone living in the mountains.

Cheers

Dura Ace triple setup Gary Techniques 28 March 1st 07 08:48 PM
Shimergo gearing setup [email protected] UK 3 May 14th 06 05:09 AM
WTB: 8 or 9 speed Ultegra Triple setup Doug B. Marketplace 5 May 13th 06 10:08 PM
2 Ultegra Triple setup questions TomYoung Techniques 6 June 19th 05 12:06 AM
Double vs triple & gearing... Velvet UK 21 July 16th 04 12:00 AM