Make of this BICYCLE frame?

Old December 14th 15, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Make of this BICYCLE frame?

Just wondering if anyone can identify the manufacturer of this BICYCLE frame.

Some closeup images of frame details here in this album at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57660085210245

Thanks and cheers
Old December 14th 15, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/14/2015 2:26 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can identify the manufacturer of this BICYCLE frame.

Some closeup images of frame details here in this album at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57660085210245

Thanks and cheers

mid 1980s probably Japanese.
You can get the two letter date code from the inside of the
left crank arm if you want. A serial number may indicate
manufacturer otherwise it's 'typical of the era' no
remarkable details I could see.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 14th 15, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-12-14 12:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can identify the manufacturer of this BICYCLE frame.

Some closeup images of frame details here in this album at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57660085210245

Thanks and cheers

Looks similar but not identical to the frame of my old and cheap
"Rockpoint Motiv" MTB. In the US they used to be sold at Sam's Club in
the late 90's.

Sure it isn't cracked near the top of the seat tube?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 14th 15, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 3:53:26 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/14/2015 2:26 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can identify the manufacturer of this BICYCLE frame.

Some closeup images of frame details here in this album at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57660085210245

Thanks and cheers

mid 1980s probably Japanese.
You can get the two letter date code from the inside of the
left crank arm if you want. A serial number may indicate
manufacturer otherwise it's 'typical of the era' no
remarkable details I could see.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks Andrew. The problem is that little if anything is original to the frame. I built up the frame as an off-road touring bicycle and i don't remember if that crankset came with the frame when i bought it for the $15.00 the guy wanted for it.

Cheers
Old December 14th 15, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 12:26:32 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can identify the manufacturer of this BICYCLE frame.

Some closeup images of frame details here in this album at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57660085210245

Thanks and cheers

This looks like a custom built steel touring bike as made by any number of steel bike builders in the US.

It appears to be a 54 mm. The double lugs on the fork are a give-away that it isn't a cheap bike. the down-tube cable stops makes it later than about 1998. The rounded and threaded rear brake bridge is not found on cheap bikes. It appears to have triple water bottle mounts. While that's an older Silca pump it is frame mounted which again put's it manufacture fairly mew.

The rear drop-out is a late model - 90's+. The paint job is one of the worst - probably spray can. Have it sand blasted and powder coated for $100.

Also the fender mounts are rare except on high end bikes or really old junkers that would have none of the other features of the frame and fork.

As rough as the welding is you probably won't find any serial number or other indications of manufacture on it.

I would estimate it to be a VERY good rough touring bike.
Old December 14th 15, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 1:43:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I just tried to look at the fork and the bike appears to be a Strong.
Old December 14th 15, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 4:43:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It's an MTB converted to a drop bar touring bicycle. I did the conversion. The tires are 26' x 2.125 knobbies.

Cheers
Old December 15th 15, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 15/12/15 06:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can identify the manufacturer of this BICYCLE frame.

Some closeup images of frame details here in this album at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57660085210245

No idea, but looks like the business!

--
JS

Old December 16th 15, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 2:00:02 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

It's an MTB converted to a drop bar touring bicycle. I did the conversion.. The tires are 26' x 2.125 knobbies.

Where did you find an MTB frame and fork with all of the lugs for a touring bike such as fender mounts and front wheel low-riders?

As I said - from what I can make of the whole fork, the bike appears to be a Strong. And since he makes custom frames and forks it is likely to have been a custom at the time it was built.

Strong is presently making semi-production bikes that are too refined to be manufactured in his shop. I have a feeling that they are made in China. But perhaps he got some top notch workers. Before he used to make some ghastly mistakes such as the fork not being quite long enough and the wheel rubbing against the top inside of the fork.
Old December 16th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/16/2015 11:09 AM, wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 2:00:02 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

It's an MTB converted to a drop bar touring bicycle. I did the conversion. The tires are 26' x 2.125 knobbies.

Where did you find an MTB frame and fork with all of the lugs for a touring bike such as fender mounts and front wheel low-riders?

As I said - from what I can make of the whole fork, the bike appears to be a Strong. And since he makes custom frames and forks it is likely to have been a custom at the time it was built.

Strong is presently making semi-production bikes that are too refined to be manufactured in his shop. I have a feeling that they are made in China. But perhaps he got some top notch workers. Before he used to make some ghastly mistakes such as the fork not being quite long enough and the wheel rubbing against the top inside of the fork.

All the fittings and styling are typical of the 1980s for
midprice production MTB frames. (hard to see because the
linked page has a big login screen blocking most of the
images and I couldn't get it to go away) Detail of the right
rear end is highly unlikely to be custom or handbuilt.