Spontaneous Spoke Combustion

Old December 19th 15, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick[_4_]

Default Spontaneous Spoke Combustion

On 19/12/2015 01:10, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The USB camera really is a piece of junk. The double ball mount is
completely useless and not very steady. It's difficult to focus
without moving the camera. Lighting is good, but mine seems to have
gone intermittent. The supplied (probably stolen) Amscope software is
buggy and difficult to use. It offers an update, but since my camera
seems to lack a model number, I have no idea which one of 4 mutations
is needed. Installing it from the supplied disk destoryed all the
other TWAIN drivers.

I have one of these from veho. I was tremendously impressed with it. My
eyesight is not what it once was and I can get very useful information
from it.

Sure what you say is also true, indeed my first one broke after 3 or 4
years, but considering its price and size I highly recommend it.
Old December 19th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 19/12/2015 01:10, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 00:05:03 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

On 18/12/2015 23:47, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Hint: You really should use a USB microscope camera for such photos.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381493384077
Cheap junk, but they work well enough for extreme closeup photos.

Ooh, cheap and nasty, but interesting. Got any sample pics?

Sure, but I have so many photos on my web pile that I don't recall
which camera I used to take which photos. Here's some samples that I
just threw together without cleanup, editing, or careful
focus/lighting. I didn't have any spokes laying around the office:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/USB%20Camera/640x480/
The photo of my pocket steel ruler (scale) is in mm. Hamilton's left
eye is from a US 10 dollar bill. There are better USB cameras
available on eBay. The 640x480 resolution is only about 0.3
megapixels.

Ok, thanks - it's a bit crap isn't it :-)

http://www.evil-c.co.uk/DSCF9723.JPG

Taken with my normal camera, 1/4 second exposure, hand held, no real
effort to light or hold steady (indoors, not terribly bright light). It
does focus down to 1cm in super-macro mode though.

If you want to take decent microscope photos, something like this
might be better.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Olympus-BHC-Microscope.html

That's sort of the opposite end of the scale though isn't it :-)

Thanks for the info, maybe I won't get one.
Old December 19th 15, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:43:41 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

Ok, thanks - it's a bit crap isn't it :-)

Yep. But at the price, it's a good deal. I use it mostly for seeing
tiny SMT components on PCB (printed circuit boards) due to failing
eyesight. I had the idea it could be used strapped to my wrist to aid
in soldering, but the rather small depth of field ruined that idea.

http://www.evil-c.co.uk/DSCF9723.JPG

Taken with my normal camera, 1/4 second exposure, hand held, no real
effort to light or hold steady (indoors, not terribly bright light). It
does focus down to 1cm in super-macro mode though.

Nice photo and impressive camera. Digging through the EXIF data:
Fuji X10 camera
http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x10.htm
4000x3000 (12MP)
24 bits per pixel
f2 lens, 7.1mm focal length
About $400 retail
Very nice.

If you want to take decent microscope photos, something like this
might be better.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Olympus-BHC-Microscope.html

That's sort of the opposite end of the scale though isn't it :-)

I have 3 assorted binocular microscopes. I was very lucky to get them
at good prices. Yes, they're rather expensive and probably overkill
for looking at rusted and broken spokes. However, they're about the
only thing that will work for really small stuff. For example, if I
wanted to look at the grain structure of the steel where the spoke
broke off, nothing less than a good microscope will suffice.
Fortunately, a bicycle mounted microscope is one item that cannot be
purchased at your local bicycle shop.

Thanks for the info, maybe I won't get one.

Y'er welcome. You're doing fine with your Fuji X10. However, if you
were stuck with a lesser camera (such as my Canon S5IS or various cell
phone cameras), you might be shopping for a better closeup camera. For
example, a 60x adapter for an iPhone 4/4s for $5.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331088397523

Incidentally, you can easily convert a computah webcam into a USB
microscope. Usually, all that's needed is a lens barrel extension and
LED light ring. Lots of instructions:
https://www.google.com/#q=convert+webcam+to+microscope

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 19th 15, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 18/12/15 02:50, KyleBH wrote:
OK, a few more data points and pictures.

These appear to be DT spokes.

I also have a rear wheel as part of the set, same thing happened.

See pictures he

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z8ngulzrn...zfz2_TRQa?dl=0

I took a number of shots of spokes about to break, as well as one
pair where I show a before and after cleaning off the corrosion.
Tried to get the ends too.

Very nice pictures. Very weird fault it really looks like corrosion
then a stress fracture, but I'm no mechy.