Eclipse -- Ten Minutes to Totality!

Old August 21st 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Eclipse -- Ten Minutes to Totality!

Or near totality. I think I get 99.5% from my office. Traffic was supposed to be horrible this morning with last-minute gawkers heading south to total totality, but there was nobody on the road. It was great.

I'm going to go look at the sun and go blind because that's what they say you should do. I have the special glasses, but they don't look good on me.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 21st 17, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 12:02:55 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
Or near totality. I think I get 99.5% from my office. Traffic was supposed to be horrible this morning with last-minute gawkers heading south to total totality, but there was nobody on the road. It was great.

I'm going to go look at the sun and go blind because that's what they say you should do. I have the special glasses, but they don't look good on me.

-- Jay Beattie.

Its about 40 minutes until my eclipse. Middle of the country. I'm off the main path. But its raining here. Cloudy of course. The eclipse is going to be "fake news" for me.
Old August 21st 17, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-21 10:02, jbeattie wrote:
Or near totality. I think I get 99.5% from my office. Traffic was
supposed to be horrible this morning with last-minute gawkers heading
south to total totality, but there was nobody on the road. It was
great.

I'm going to go look at the sun and go blind because that's what they
say you should do. I have the special glasses, but they don't look
good on me.

We used the electric welding visor but the eclipse was less than
impressive east of Sacramento. The TV is still running a big rah-rah
show about it. Oh well.

I guess the eclipse glasses scalper price ($250 was reported once) will
now drop to $0.10 or so.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 21st 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 8/21/2017 10:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:
Or near totality. I think I get 99.5% from my office. Traffic was supposed to be horrible this morning with last-minute gawkers heading south to total totality, but there was nobody on the road. It was great.

I'm going to go look at the sun and go blind because that's what they say you should do. I have the special glasses, but they don't look good on me.

-- Jay Beattie.

Down here in Salem totality land, it was pretty cool looking at that big
black dot in the sky with the bright edges.

You could see tiny red/orange flashes around the edges, even with the
naked eye, though better with binoculars. Solar flares I presume. That
2-ish minutes passed very quickly.

The family made noise and scared away the cosmic goat that was eating
the sun. You can thank me by sending contributions to my bike parts fund.

Now ODOT's website shows stop-and-go traffic on I-5 for 30 miles in
either direction leaving Salem.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Mark J.
Old August 21st 17, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 12:25:00 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

You guys got more of a total eclipse, although even in PDX, it got pretty dark. The automatic street lights switched on, and from my building, you could see lights twinkling off to the east -- darker than dusk, but not totally dark by any means. I'd use my 3,000 lumen light for riding in that 40 second partial black-out, just to be extra sure.

Traffic is still light here.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 22nd 17, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Well: We drove many hours south to visit and stay with friends about 90 minutes
north of the path of totality. At their place, I spent much time researching
weather forecasts and clear sky forecasts to decide whether to head due south or
more southwest for the best shot at a clear sky. Ultimately the forecast was
pretty good, less than 5% chance of rain, and sky about 30% cloudy.

Based on all that, we ended up in a tiny southern town's park with perhaps
300 other sky gazers. But on the way, driving in long lines of traffic,
we were more and more worried about the patches of cumulus clouds. In the park,
the big clouds would come and go, but were mostly absent.

As totality got closer and closer, the sky looked fine except for one big cloud.
We got to see the moon obscure more and more of the sun's disk. We looked
through one guy's telescope (with filter) to see the moon obscuring well over
half the sun, and saw a few sunspots too.

Then we got to what must have been 95%, 98%, maybe 99% - and that big dark cloud
moved right in front of the sun!

I could see sunbeams spraying just a little east, so with maybe a couple minutes
left until totality, I said "We have nothing to lose" and we jumped in the car
and drove east. Within a very short time, the sun was clear of the cloud -
but totality was over. we saw the super-thin crescent that was uncovered as
the moon moved on its way.

So we saw everything but the moment of totality. :-/ Bad astronomical karma?

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 22nd 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:37:51 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

We used the electric welding visor but the eclipse was less than
impressive east of Sacramento. The TV is still running a big rah-rah
show about it. Oh well.

Cloudy and some fog in Santa Cruz CA. Very disappointing. A few of
the locals drove about 40 miles north to the hills above the Santa
Clara Valley for a clear sky. 2hrs after it was all over, the clouds
cleared enough to actually see the sun.

I guess the eclipse glasses scalper price ($250 was reported once) will
now drop to $0.10 or so.

Only $250? Try out these prices instead:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=eclipse+gl asses&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=16
The high price winner is $13,892.66 to pay off a student loan.

If I check "sold listings" there were actually some people who
supposedly paid those prices:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=eclipse+glasse s&_sop=16

Next total eclipse will be April 8, 2024. Mark your calendars.
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/future/
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 22nd 17, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

We were scheduled to get 88% coverage, but we spent the time parenting
instead, as our kid was scheduled to get their wisdom teeth pulled at the
same time as the eclipse.

Old August 22nd 17, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 1:37:38 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
We used the electric welding visor but the eclipse was less than
impressive east of Sacramento. The TV is still running a big rah-rah
show about it. Oh well.

I guess the eclipse glasses scalper price ($250 was reported once) will
now drop to $0.10 or so.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I read about using welgding goggles or welding face shield to view the eclipse aa it occurred and was warned NOT to do it unless under normal light everything you looked at was very dark = that is other objects. Normal welding gear was NOT considered safe for viewing the eclipse EXCEPT for the total eclipse portion. I hope your welding stuff was the really dark stuff.

I guess it was otherwise you'd not be able to see the keyboard any more.

Cheers

Old August 22nd 17, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:15:02 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

The guys on another group discussed that, for days, in excruciating
detail. I believe that the consensus was a number 11 lens was too
light and that either #12 or #14 should work.

After it was over it turned out that one guy's kid had watched it with
a #10 lens as the #11 had been too dark. I suspect that location and
cloud cover probably made a big difference.
--
Cheers,

John B.