Alexa says, 'Take the lane'

Old August 30th 17, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Alexa says, 'Take the lane'

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3453744

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 30th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 5:39:46 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3453744

There are some tunnels on the San Francisco Penesula that are damned scary. One in particular has you 100 yards into the approach on a slight downhill grade going 20 mph or so and there's a sign that reads "Bicycles not Recommended".

Coming from bright sunlight into the tunnel cars do NOT turn on their lights and bicycles become invisible as the cars speed up to 50+ mph. There is a shoulder wide enough that you aren't in too much danger.

But the other side of the tunnel you are in the number 1 lane of a freeway exit that is four lanes wide with cars exiting the freeway at 70+ mph.

Hugging the left curb until there's a break in traffic I managed to get across into the right shoulder but you can be damn certain I won't be making that mistake again.

Two blocks before that entrance there is a sign that says - "bicycles recommended route" - but there is a lot of truck traffic in that area and it's very easy to miss the sign while watching the traffic.

This is the sort of thing that causes Joerg to make his comments about bicycle paths. Of course as we all know this wouldn't even give Frank a pause.
Old August 30th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/30/2017 7:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

The tunnel that used to be closed to cyclists, but is now open, is the
Barry-Baker Tunnel into the Marin Headlands. The Military Police used to
wait at the end of tunnel to cite cyclists. The alternate route in and
out of the Marin Headlands involves a long steep hill. The Park Police
also used to cite speeding cyclists on Conzelman Road, not sure if they
still spend time on this--that has to be one of the greatest downhill
runs. https://goo.gl/maps/LmeJPAmra4H2 .

---

Old August 31st 17, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/30/2017 10:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

There are certainly places that "give me pause." I recall years ago, on
a solo overnight camping trip, I rode toward Pittsburgh before heading
further south. At one point near rush hour I found myself trapped on a
limited access highway along a river, probably 45 mph speed limit with
two narrow lanes (maybe nine feet wide), rough pavement, high traffic
and a wall at my right side. I had to ride it for maybe two or three
miles before managing to get to an intersection where I could escape.

Cycling was legal there, but I wouldn't repeat the experience. It was
VERY unpleasant, and had I known the situation ahead of time I'd have
found some alternative. But sometimes these things happen, especially
riding in unfamiliar areas.

BTW, what did I do while riding that stretch of road? I controlled the
lane, of course. Yes, motorists didn't like it. Many honked. But there
was literally no alternative to riding lane center. Letting people
squeeze by without changing lanes would have been stupidly risky.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 10:05:44 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/30/2017 10:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

what do you think about tappan zee
Old August 31st 17, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/n...appan-zee.html

Old August 31st 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/31/2017 3:22 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/31/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

what do you think about tappan zee

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/n...appan-zee.html

I don't know anything about this issue. That article's from 2014. What
was the result?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 12:43:18 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/31/2017 3:22 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/31/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

what do you think about tappan zee

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/n...appan-zee.html

I don't know anything about this issue. That article's from 2014. What
was the result?

Not finished, but it will have a bike lane. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/n...e-opening.html
They landed the bridge in a place that satisfied the NIMBY folks.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 31st 17, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 8/30/2017 10:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

There, now that didn't hurt did it? That is, admitting that there are some times where vehicular riding just isn't right. I do vehicular riding as much as possible but there are simply times when a bike path is a relief.
Old August 31st 17, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 8/30/2017 10:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

Draw food trucks? Parking problems? Firstly, the idea is to NOT have a car. Secondly FOOD TRUCKS? I don't eat no Tacos off of food trucks.